The BCF Book Club - Part 1 Completed Reads

lunababymoonchild

• 2 weeks later...

Interim, Dorothy Richardson.

Part five of her thirteen part semi-autobiographical opus Pilgrimage. Of course I had no idea what she was talking about, it's stream of consciousness and it's been two years since I read part four. 

I'll probably read William Faulkner as part of this challenge, I'll be reading him anyway, but not for a while

Edited by lunababymoonchild

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation, I decided I wanted to start my stream of consciousness choice while eating my lunch today, so I made the quick decision to go for Katherine Mansfield’s The Garden Party

I realised about 1/4 of the way through that I have actually read it before - just a long time ago! And I really enjoyed it! Some examples of stream of consciousness can be quite hard to follow, especially when they’re displaying distress or fragmented memory, but this is very easy to follow and has a clear short story. It also has quite a poignant message about life, death and class division. 

I think this would be a good one to read for people who don’t normally like the stream of consciousness style. 

Probably my favourite bit: 

‘But the air! If you stopped to notice, was the air always like this? Little faint winds were playing chase, in at the tops of the windows, out at the doors. And there were two tiny spots of sun, one on the inkpot, one on a silver photograph frame, playing too. Darling little spots. Especially the one on the inkpot lid. It was quite warm. A warm little silver star. She could have kissed it.‘

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read Kew Gardens by Virginia Woolf in one sitting (it's very short), and what a delight it was! Thank you, @Hayley for the suggestion. A wonderful stroll around the gardens, so well described and vividly accompanied by other garden visitors. 

Life has been complicated in recent months, so reading has taken a back seat. I have some potential quiet time coming up in a week or so, so plan on carrying on with my reading of Orlando, again by VW. It's a book I want to read with a clear mind, rather than my current muddled one. 🙂

Oh, and The Garden Party may have accidentally fallen into my kindle when I last visited Amazon. You know...not intentionally at all!😉

Edited by Chrissy
I had thrown a random = signs into a word!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I completed (just in Reading Challenge time) Orlando by Virginia Woolf

It is a book I have been meaning to read for decades, but never actually got from the bookshelf, or more recently clicked on my kindle to read. I am so glad the challenge gave me that push to dive in.

Definitely a book you have to be in the correct frame of mind for, as the stream of consciousness style can make you feel like you are drowning in words rather than enjoying the flow of the narrative wash over you, if you are not in the right mood for it.

Fascinating, compelling, witty and often lyrical it manages to be an epic read as it stretches across the centuries, yet is equally quite a slow moving and intimate book, observing the title characters quest for life's meaning. I can understand why it is considered a masterpiece and the thought provoking themes make it an important book.

To enjoy it properly I had to relax and just read without interruptions, and without allowing too much 'back of mind' thinking to go on. This meant the story came to me more easily than had I tried to frame the narrative too much. I look forward to reading more stream of consciousness stories to learn whether my approach was Orlando/Virginia Woolf specific, or whether it is how I need to read s.o.c. 

Roll on the next challenge! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...