I want to start reading again and need some recommendations

Hi! ☺️

After I started uni I stopped reading for pleasure and now it's been 6 years and I am looking to start reading again. I would love some recommendations. I like stories that are dark, for example stories about the life of queens and princesses throughout history. I also enjoy a mystery (crime, thriller). Are open to explore other genres as well. Self improvement books would be interesting to give a try.

What are some books that you have read that you could recommend? 😊 Highly appreciated.

My sister loves books about queens and princesses throughout history, so I asked her if she’d read any good dark ones recently and she’s just got one called None Such as She by Melissa Addey. It’s the true story of a Moroccan queen who was accused of witchcraft, had a very jealous personality and was feared by her people.

She also recommends Madame Serpent by Jean Plaidy, which is about Catherine de Medici. Apparently also someone everybody was scared of!

The first ‘dark’ book that came to mind for me was The Corset by Laura Purcell. It has some very dark themes and elements of psychological mystery. I couldn’t put it down. 

I hope you find something you like! And welcome to the forum :)