Eagerly anticipated!

France

I thought I'd I'd kick off a thread about shortly to be published books which we're really looking forward to.  This article in the Guardian is a good starting point - I immediately added Maggie O Farrell, William Boyd, Robert Harris and Kate Atkinson to my wish list and discovered as I was doing it that there is a new Elizabeth Strout and a Robert Galbraith out shortly too, so the wish list grew a bit more.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/aug/21/seven-big-books-autumn-2022-maggie-ofarrell-cormac-mccarthy

A good idea.

Before I read the article I'm looking forward to Ann Cleeves new Vera book out on 1 September.  Having read said list, unfortunately nothing on it interests me, sorry ☺️

I am looking forward to A Heart Full of Headstones, by Ian Rankin (the brand new John Rebus thriller) due on the 13 October.

Further ahead I'm looking forward to Kerry Lord, Alexandra's Garden: 30 Crochet Flower Patterns, Laura Purcell, The Whispering Muse both in 2023. Further ahead, I'm hoping that Deborah Harkness will release another book but as she's recovering (thank goodness!) from cancer I think that it may take a while.

That's all I can think of for now 

More

The Book of Phobias and Manias: A History of the World in 99 Obsessions by  Kate Summerscale, in October and on 27 September 2022

Miss Peregrine's Museum of Wonders: An Indispensable Guide to the Dangers and Delights of the Peculiar World for the Instruction of New Arrivals (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children) by Ransom Riggs.

Think that's it!

Yes, good idea :) we have had these threads in the past, but only covering the current year - it will be nice to have an ongoing one!

I'm looking forward to Fairy Tale by Stephen King, which I think is out in the first week of September.

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Miss Peregrine's Museum of Wonders: An Indispensable Guide to the Dangers and Delights of the Peculiar World for the Instruction of New Arrivals (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children) by Ransom Riggs.

And I didn't even know this existed, so now I'm looking forward to this too!

19 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

A good idea.

Before I read the article I'm looking forward to Ann Cleeves new Vera book out on 1 September.  Having read said list, unfortunately nothing on it interests me, sorry ☺️

I am looking forward to A Heart Full of Headstones, by Ian Rankin (the brand new John Rebus thriller) due on the 13 October.

Further ahead I'm looking forward to Kerry Lord, Alexandra's Garden: 30 Crochet Flower Patterns, Laura Purcell, The Whispering Muse both in 2023. Further ahead, I'm hoping that Deborah Harkness will release another book but as she's recovering (thank goodness!) from cancer I think that it may take a while.

That's all I can think of for now 

I'm looking forward to the new Vera book took, especially as it's set on Holy Island.

Like you, not much on that list appeals to me either, possibly the Kate Atkinson but she can be hit and miss.

On 8/22/2022 at 3:42 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Before I read the article I'm looking forward to Ann Cleeves new Vera book out on 1 September.

I have a few of her books from both the Vera and the Shetland series and I was just wondering if its better to read the books in series order, or can they be read as standalones/in any order?

I think the Shetland books need to be read in order, though they still work as stand alones, but there is a bit of a story arc, especially in the earlier books, not so much the last few, and the TV series is very different - the character of Tosh isn't in the books at all, and Cassie is a little girl in the books.  I've only read the later Vera books, but they also stand alone quite well.

I don't think they've messed around with the Vera books as much as they did with the Perez series, for the TV versions.  There were also some very good radio versions of the first 2 or 3 books in the Perez/Shetland series made by Radio 4 a few years ago, with the actor who plays Sandy on TV, playing Perez on the radio!  Worth checking out if they're still out there somewhere in the ether or internet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This year, so far Under Ground by E. S. Thomson on 5 Oct. 2023. I've been waiting for the next Jem Flockhart for ages!

The Whispering Muse by Laura Purcell on 2 Feb. 2023. Not long to go now!

A Mountain to the North, A Lake to The South, Paths to the West, A River to the East  by Laszlo Krasznahorkai (Author), Ottilie Mulzet  (Translator) 12 Jan. 2023

On 1/8/2023 at 4:44 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

The Whispering Muse by Laura Purcell on 2 Feb. 2023. Not long to go now!

I’m also excited for this one!

Also on my wish list (and, I’m hoping, somewhat similar to Laura Purcell!), I have:

Fyneshade by Kate Griffin

and

The Company by J.M. Varese 

• 6 months later...

Under Ground - E S Thomson, more Jem Lockhart

Mix and Match Modern Crochet Blankets: 100 patterned and textured strips for 1000s of unique throws - Esme Crick, not long now 29 August

Dark & Dramatic Mosaic Crochet: A Master Guide to Overlay Colorwork with 15 Modern Goth & Alternative Patterns - Alexis Sixel

Crochet Impkins: Over a million possible combinations! Yes, really! - Megan Lapp, also not long 29 August

Alexandra's Garden Vegetables: 30 Crochet Vegetable Patterns - Kerry Lord 

I haven't done any crochet in years but I just might. I don't lack the yarn

Also interested in : The Woman in Me - Britney Spears Which is still to come

• 6 months later...

It’s been a while since I was anticipating a book’s release, but I am looking forward to Every Time We Say Goodbye by Natalie Jenner coming out in May. It’s in the same “universe” as her other two novels, with this one about expats in 1950s Rome. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while but Deborah Harkness has released her fifth book in the five book series A Discovery of Witches called The Black Bird Oracle. Ian Rankin has released his 25th Rebus book, Midnight and Blue. Kerry Lord has issued another Ed's Animals book due to be shipped next week, apparently. Laura Purcell has a new one coming out Moonstone. Stacy Halls The Household released this year, Sarah Pearse will publish her new one  this year called The Wilds, The Puzzle Wood by Rosie Andrews, The Last Murder at the End of the World, Stuart Turton, The Warm Hands of Ghosts, Katherine Arden, The Book of Elsewhere, China Mieville and Keanu Reeves, apparently. The Silence Factory, Bridget Collins, The Dark Wives: DCI Vera Stanhope 11 Ann Cleeves. All eagerly anticipated by me (!).

Edited by lunababymoonchild

There are a lot of good books coming out this year, here's just a few:

The Mars House - Natasha Pulley

The Familiar - Leigh Bardugo

Long Island - Colm Toibin

The Warm Hands of Ghosts - Katherine Arden (I should think Luna will be falling on this too!)

The Last Murder at the End of the World  - Stuart Turton

The City of Stardust - Georgia Summers

The Ministry of Time _ Kaliane Bradley

Table for Two - Amor Towles

• Like 1

Been trying to get Laura Purcell's new paperback, none of my local bookshops (all 2 of them, both branches of Waterstone's) nor the supermarkets or W H Smith has it in stock.