Quote me up!

I've really been enjoying reading a book of quotes lately, even just one a day, and I've even managed to use some in conversation!

I thought it would be good to have a thread where we could share our favourite quotes, or something that speaks to you from your current read. I'm always stickering up my novels for the poignant sentances, that then just waste away on the shelf.. they deserve to be shared!

So, for today, I've been in my book of quotes already and this is one of my favourites:

"Happiness consists in activity - it is a running stream, not a stagnant pool"

John Mason Good

What a great idea! The trouble I have is that I can never remember quotes unless I have it written down on a piece of paper to read so I couldn't be as good as you and drop them into conversation. I will go find a good quote and come back and edit this post:)

Later... OK I did cheat slightly it is not from a book I have read but I think it sums up the never ending problem we have- but without the beards for us girls!

Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high.

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. Arnold Lobel

I've always loved quotes, and I used to collect them. The one in my signature is from And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts, and it is used to describe the death of the man who assassinated Harvey Milk, a well-known gay-rights activist in the 1970's in San Francisco. The man ended up committing suicide, and I think it means that if you harbor hate inside yourself, it will end up destroying you as well as your victims. Here are some others:

"There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind." -F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief." -Gerry Spence, How to Argue and Win Every Time

"There is no certainty - only opportunity." -V for Vendetta

"A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time." -Alfred E. Wiggam

"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced." -Oliver Wendall Jones, Bloom County (this was the quote I chose for my senior yearbook)

There are a lot more that I love. I choose a new quote every week for my blog, and I love finding something that expresses the way I'm feeling at the time. I'll probably share more later!

One of my favourite quotes of all time is by an author I don't particularly like, but it got me through some really tough times in my youth when I was considered "different". Nowadays, of course, I revel in being a bit quirky!

What is normal? Normal is only ordinary; mediocre. Life belongs to the rare, exceptional individual who dares to be different.

- My Sweet Audrina by Virginia Andrews

Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high.

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.

I love this quote too. If it wasn't for the bit about the beards, it would definitely have been chosen to grace the front page of my blog. Instead I went with:

'The first time I read an excellent work, it is to me just as if I had gained a new friend. When I read over a book I have perused before, it resembles the meeting of an old one' - Oliver Goldsmith

I also have the following two quotes on my desk at work. The first is a bit of a mouthful and the second is a bit depressing, but I love 'em!

'Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence' - Albert Einstein

'We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone' - Orson Welles

My friend while reading the paper said:

"ooo (so and so's) dead... great! I can read his obituary!"

Apparently he is a fan!! People have strange brains

:lol: Me too! Just so I can check I'm not in there, and go on about my business ! (I nicked that from legendary jazz trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie, while we're on the subject of quotes)

My quote is my avatar, plus:

Knowledge is power and power corrupts,

So study hard and be EVIL! :lol:

EDIT: actually, it seems it underneath this :s How do you delete attachments?

[Done for you.. when editing, go to the option that lets you attach, but click 'manage attachments'. Michelle]

Yay! It's great that other people like quotes as much as I do, I love the way some people have managed to capture something so beautifully and succinctly that just that sentance stands the test of time and can sum up perfectly the way you are feeling. The one below isn't like that, it just makes me chuckle!

"My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other peoples"

Oscar Wilde

I agree Princess Ponti. It's always nice to know that you're not the only person who sees things in a certain light.

I love looking at those huge books of quotes in bookshops. Unfortunately they're always wrapped so you can't browse through them but I always dream of owning one for myself.

I think they're about $100 though so I'll just keep dreaming! Although, now that we're on the subject, I remember seeing one on sale not so long ago - very cheap indeed. Why oh why didn't I buy it? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I found this quote yesterday which I thought was lovely. It comes from Charlotte's Web by E.B.White

You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that.