Impatience of the Heart

Set in Austria in 1914 just before the first world war this is the story of Anton Hofmiller and the one mistake that he makes which leads, ultimately, to tragedy. And it was a very easy mistake to make so I'm not entirely sure that he could have been expected to take responsibility for it, in the 21st century things are very different indeed.

This is billed as Zweig's greatest work and I can see why. It's a towering work of fiction detailing human emotion and a study of guilt and pity and what that can do to a person. Hofmiller is trapped by his guilt and his pity and even though he makes several attempts to break free he doesn't manage it until he seeks the help of his commanding officer, having become a cavalry officer. During his journey to freedom the ruler of Austria and Hungary is assassinated, which leads to World War I and he is deployed to fight in it. Before he leaves to take part in the war he is informed of the consequences of his leaving, predicted by the family doctor (of the person he is pitying and feels guilty about). Hofmiller survives the war, much to his surprise, and emerges as a war hero, much to his chagrin. His guilt and pity, however, have been brought into perspective at the end of the war and the reader is left with the impression that Hofmiller will, at last, live in peace with himself.

Highly recommended.