deb's 2008 list

~V~

12. Alexander McCall Smith - The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

I've said earlier that I've had this on my shelf for years but was galvanised into finally reading it by the advent of the film on Sunday.

So, for those of you who are in the same quandry as me; read it. It's lovely, warm and quite funny too. You can hear the voices in your mind as you read the dialogue and can imagine Botswana too, the way it is described (but not overly so).

The detection part isn't in the same vein as Agatha Christie, despite Precious citing her at various junctions, but more of how she tackled the problems having no previous experience of this type of work.

So, all in all, a lovely story, and a quick read with the prospect of more loveliness to come.

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

13. Alexander McCall Smith - Tears of the Giraffe

I broke so many of my cardinal rules here.The same author back-to-back being a primary one. But not really I didn't, as I'm most of the way through another book but I needed a break from it as my concentration is still appalling.

So, is it as good as the previous one? Yes, it's probably better as now we 'know' the characters (Botswana being one of them) and so more can be actual plot. Odd then that Precious has far less cases.

The gentle, subtle humour is still there in spades; 'You've shattered the glass ceiling' says Precious to her secretary when she 'promotes' her to Assistant Detective . Also present is the old-fashioned morality and logic in spades. I do wish I had started reading these earlier, it's great to read a book in a day and just enjoy it without feeling it's a guilty pleasure.

9/10

Might I ask why you have a no-same-author rule? I often try to 'author binge' to keep the thread of a particular series in my mind, but the most I've managed by any one author is about three in a row, and usually when it's a series not just random stories, so I'm sticking with the same characters.

• 2 weeks later...

14. Malcolm Pryce - Aberystwyth Mon Amour

A 'comic thriller' set in Aberystwyth but not the Aberystwyth we know.

Well to be honest, I didn't find this either 'comic' or 'thrilling'. It was mildly amusing in parts but read like a collection of 'funny names for shops' that had been cobbled together to form a story. Almost as if the author had lots of soundbite ideas and had to weave them into this in order to sell them. I then found out that he had previously worked in advertising! So having made sense of that, and bearing in mind this is his first book, I shall give him another go at some point. It would appear that he is quite popular and so maybe his writing style improves or the characters flesh out a little better rather like a TV series after the first couple of episodes.

So, regarding the thriller aspect of it, well there have been murders and there are a few gruesome scenes, but there's absolutely no sense of jeopardy at all through the story.

I wouldn't deter people from reading this though, it's different and quite light so give it a go if it appeals.

6/10

15. David Mitchell - Ghostwritten

His first book. To me, this is apparent as it appears more like an exercise in 'Six Degrees of Separation' than a novel. There is much less linking the stories than in his subsequent works and although his prowess as a wordsmith as astonishing and the voice of each character is so full and individual, the book somehow seems far too disjointed. In reality, this is a collection of short stories with small links such as breath on the nape of the neck (but I'm not convinced even that is in each story) and mention of other characters from previous stories.

I'm sure none of what I've written above makes no sense whatsoever

7/10 because reading his work is an experience regardless of the sory

16. Alexander McCall Smith - Morality for Beautiful Girls

Ooh this is a bit darker than the previous two. AMS examines the concept of values and morality and brings up matriarchal societies as probably the best way to be. It also deals with mental illness so is not nearly so fluffy as previous offerings.

It's still a good book and a great easy read.

8/10

1/3 books read off Mount TBR - I can't buy a book yet

17. Robert Barnard - Last Post

I wasn't going to read any more by RB for a while as I've read so many lately. However, this is a brand new book and I saw it at the library. How could I resist? :readingtwo:

Most of the books I've read of his are older so it was great to get a really up-to-date story from him. This one deals with lesbianism, blackmail and so forth with the ubiquitous murder cropping up too.

I love this author, but I've already told you all that (several times no doubt), I read the book in a day which is pretty good going for me as a 'quick-read' usually takes me three days or so. I just couldn't put it down.

So, if you like one-off stories that are easy to read, short, very British with some 'whodunnit' elements and always a twist or two - do give him a try.

9/10

1/3 books read off Mount TBR - I can't buy a book yet

18. Janet Street Porter - Life's Too F***ing Short!

Forget all those self-help books. Ditch all the misery/victim books. This is where it's at.

JSP is a woman who takes responsibility for her own happiness and this book just reminds us that we can too. I've read it cover to cover but have left it somewhere where I can dip into it whenever I'm in need of a laugh or some grounded sense.

JSP - I salute you!

10/10

2/3 books read off Mount TBR - I can't buy a book yet

That sounds like the kind of book I need to read just now - to give me a boot up the bum! Off to have a look for it...

Have you read any of her other books?

Kx

I haven't, no. I quite like her writing style as she demonstrates her intelligence by keeping it clear and non-patronising. She swears a lot but I suppose that's indicated by the title, it's all st***ed out though :)

17. Paul Magrs - Something Borrowed

The continuing adventures of Brenda and her friend Effie.

This book is more of a continuous story than the debut with various parts of the plot taking us into Brenda's past shared with an encounter from the 1940s who reappears in her life. The usual dark humour throughout.

For a nice easy read, this is a great little book

8/10

2/3 books read off Mount TBR - I can't buy a book yet

• 3 weeks later...

18. Alexander McCall Smith ~ 44 Scotland Street

Having enjoyed the No1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, I thought I'd give these a go. They're very different in some ways but there are similarities.

At first I was just so bored, but I suppose that can be the way with some series as you get to know the characters. After about halfway, though I did start to really enjoy the book. Good job too as it took me forever to read considering it's a relatively small book (326 pages).

The characterisation in his books always appears vivid, you do get a strong picture of the person but sometimes I feel his dialogue lets him down. In the African books the dialogue appears charming and not being too familiar with the dialect it appears to be authentic. However, in modern-day Scotland it appears to be very old-fashioned in parts. Maybe a scotchtish person could enlighten me.

Anyway, it was ok in the end and I shall read the next book too

7/10

3/3 books read off Mount TBR - I can buy a book! But I probably shan't

Edited by ~V~

19. Robert Barnard ~ A cry from the dark

So, I wasn't going to read another of his books for a while but it was in the library facing me when I went in the door. I just couldn't resist!

This one is about an elderly Australian author who is writing her memoirs. Whilst doing so, her friend is attacked and it appears that the attack was meant for her.

Each chapter covers some of her currentlife and some of her memories, as if we are reading them as she writes them.

As usual, with Barnard, the story is a little different to the norm, well written and keeps you guessing right up to the last pages. It's not his best though and took me a week to read rather than the usual 'I-can't-put-this-down' read in a day kind of thing I often have with his books

7/10

3/6 books read off Mount TBR - I've bought one book so can't buy any more

• 1 month later...

20. Ruso and the Demented Doctor - R S Downie.

I can't believe it's taken me six weeks to read this! I'm sure I've enver taken that long to read a book before. Ok, so I'm trying to get back to full-time work and I'm absoluteloy shattered, but this is ridiculous!

It's taken me so long I'm not sure I can give an adequate write-up.

Lots happen, many familiar characters (from the first book), I love the relationships in these stories, the humour is still there.

That's all a bit 'so what' though. It took me six weeks to read! Six weeks I tell ya! Meh

6/10

It's not even off Mount TBR!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

21. Robert Barnard - Dying Flames.

I'm not saying it this time (you know; I was going to keep away from RB blah blah blah) but when I see them in the Library and they wave at me. Well, what am I to do?

So, the plot:

Graham is a novellist, a girl turns up and says he's her father. He knows he isn't but starts to get involved/embroiled in the family. The mother turns up dead. Graham looks at the past to find out who is the killer.

It's not as good as his usual stuff but it's ok for a light read

6/10

22. Ferney by James Long

This was going to be my next buy. I'm glad it wasn't as it's not a book I would keep (with my now radical 'get rid of books I won't read again' attitude).

Having said that, it's ok. The premise is excellent and the plot meanders along at a leisurely pace. You can relate to the characters within reason and there are a couple of mini twists.

But, it's sadly not written all that well. I still can't understand why it only got the one print-run way back when, although this does date it a little too. In modern days, Gally (our 'heroine') or her husband Mike, would have looked things up on the Internet, so taking a lot of doubt away

6/10

• 2 months later...

23. Mr Pip by Lloyd Jones

This was another of those books I was looking forward to reading (I really must stop doing that) but was disappointed with it. I also wasn't prepared for the sudden injection of gruesomeness.

For me it was one thing for most of the book and then it quickly jumped to something else for a while, then it changed to something else entirely.

In my opinion it ended up as pretentious bobbins. ~shrug~

6/10

24. Hurting Distance by Sophie Hannah

Her last book disappointed me but continued to haunt me for a while so I gave this a go when I saw it at the library.

For me, it's better than Little Face, or maybe I was expecting less. As appears to be de rigeur nowadays, the detectives are the same as in the previous book (is it compulsory I wonder) but I am sure you cold read the books in isolation.

One thing Sophie Hannah does that is different to so may authors is female nutters. She's so good at these 'broken' women with major psychological problems, all caused by big bad men. Hmmm....

Anyhow, it's ok this one. All neatly bundled up at the end too. If you like Little Face, you'll like this

7/10