Louise's Books 2008

Louiseog

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished last night and nope wasn't quite right! But I was right about something that happened with one character but haven't got a clue how to do spoilers so will leave you hanging lol!

Type [ spoiler] in front of what you want hidden, and [ /spoiler] afterwards, but without the space after the [ bracket. :D

• 2 weeks later...

On my holiday I read:

Wintering by Derek Johns, a bit like the Dead of Summer but with less menace!

1950s rural Somerset and Billy's dad has been made bankrupt. Period details and characters great although nothing happened! 7/10

Special Topics in Calamity Physics M Pessl. Very strange but clever, a suicide and urban terrorists in small town America, all came together in the end. Not sure I was in the right mood for it but has stayed with me! 6/10

Fallen Idols Neil White footballers being killed by a lone assassin, very taught thriller, the first in a series and I will read more. Some bits a bit gory and actually unbelievable. 6/10

The Attack - Yasmin Khadra I really enjoyed this, made me think lots about current world ! 7/10

Honeymoon - James Patterson good thriller about a woman who kills her husbands, very quick and thrilling thriller! 5/10

The Killing Ground - Jack Higgins huh! Felt like I was at a party which I was supposed to know everyone and didn't! Lots of shooting and fighting and I think the goodies won but I didn't care. (quite a comparison with the Khadra book!) 2/10

The Death of a Murderer - Rupert Thompson spooky narrative about a policeman on duty to watch Myra Hindley's (although her name is never mentioned) body. He reflects on his life and the changes that her crimes made to him and his friends and family. 7/10

A Common Murder - Val McDermid short thriller set in the 1980s, dated really, MI5 and Greenham Common. 4/10

Q and A - Vikas Swarup Indian waiter wins Who wants to be a Millionaire but is arrested and has to prove how, although he has no education he knew the answers, interesting details about life in India. 6/10

The House of Sleep - Jonathan Coe Funny, quirky, mad story about a group of people linked by sleep, or lack of it, very clever and wry.

The Falconer - Alice Thompson Its 1936 a woman goes to Scotland to find out why her sister killed herself when she was working for the secretary of state for war, appeasement issues but nothing develioped, boring really 4/10

The Final Reckoning - Sam Bourne Could not put this down. A suicide bomber is killed outside the UN but when the body is identified it is an old man, not a bomber at all. From 1930s Lithuania all around the world, very thrilling! 8/10

Now Set in Darkness Ian Rankin, enjoyable Rebus novel.