Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2008

Kylie

Well, the original is pretty good...I'm trying to remember if there were any really juicy scenes, but I think they were all taken out. It's still a pretty good read though ;)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Book of Evidence

John Banville

Rating: 10/10

Published: 1989

Number of pages: 220

Summary (taken from blurb):

Freddie Montgomery has committed two crimes. He stole a small Dutch master from a wealthy family friend, and he murdered a chambermaid who caught him in the act.

He has little to say about the dead girl. He killed her, he says, because he was physically capable of doing so. It made perfect sense to smash her head in with a hammer. What he cannot understand, and would desperately like to know, is why he was so moved by an unattributed portrait of a middle-aged woman that he felt compelled to steal it...

Comments:

I thought this was a brilliant novel. Banville has a knack for getting into a character's mind and imparting all sorts of truths about human nature in the process. I can see why he has been compared to Vladimir Nabokov, and it also reminded me of Crime and Punishment in some ways. John Banville has said that he tries to give his prose 'the kind of denseness and thickness that poetry has', and I think he succeeds admirably.

Freddie Montgomery tells his story in the form of a written confession to a courtroom. He intersperses tales of his childhood with his current situation, giving the reader an insight into his personality and reasoning behind his decisions. It's a little disturbing and also a little amusing in places.

Often I feel a little let down after reading 'modern' literature. They never seem to measure up to older 'classics'. Happily, this is not the case with John Banville and I will certainly be reading more of his work in the future. I can already hear 'The Sea' calling to me from my TBR pile.

Very highly recommended and a very big thanks to Pontalba for the recommendation. I have discovered a new author thanks to you! (Does that mean you'll pick up my bill every time I buy another of his books? ;))

Started: 26 March 2008

Finished: 3 April 2008

I hope that helps :lol:

It helps enormously - thanks.

I have to say that I'd never have looked at/picked up this book in a million years if it wasn't a 'Bookworms' book. We aren't discussing it until July so I won't read it yet or I'll have forgotten half of what happens by then! :lol:

Thanks again. :D

The Third Man & The Fallen Idol

Graham Greene

Rating: 9/10

Published: 1950

Number of pages: 137

The Third Man is Graham Greene's brilliant recreation of post-War Vienna, a 'smashed dreary city' occupied by the four Allied powers. Rollo Martins, a second-rate novelist, arrives penniless to visit his friend and hero, Harry Lime. But Harry has died in suspicious circumstances, and the police are closing in on his associates...

The Fallen Idol is the chilling story of a small boy caught up in the games that adults play. Left in the care of the butler and his wife whilst his parents go on a fortnight's holiday, Philip realises too late the danger of lies and deceit. But the truth is even deadlier.

Comments:

I had been after this book for a long time so I could see how it matched up to my favourite movie, and I wasn't disappointed. The film was, for the most part, very true to the book. The only slight difference was to the ending, of which I prefer the movie version.

The book and movie are now so intrinsically linked in my mind that I think any attempt at a review of the book will just turn into a review of the movie. :grin: Needless to say, the book is terrific and (dare I say it?) the movie is perhaps even better. But then, how could it fail with Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton and Alida Valli being directed by the brilliant Carol Reed?

Both book and movie are very highly recommended. Usually I would recommend reading the book first, but in this instance I think seeing the movie first is a better idea because there are a few brilliant scenes that pack more of a punch on screen than on a page.

As for the short story called The Fallen Idol, I thought Graham Greene did a great job of building up the tension - it was enjoyable, if somewhat disturbing. It'd be interesting to see the film version of this - it's such a short story that I think they would have to flesh it out quite a bit for a movie.

Started: 4 April 2008

Finished: 5 April 2008

Yes, they were both part of one book and even then it was still very short! Some of those 137 pages were introductions to the stories. :lol:

It's the only Graham Greene book I've read so far and for me I think it has been a good introduction to his work. I'll definitely check out more.

Yes, they were both part of one book and even then it was still very short! Some of those 137 pages were introductions to the stories. :lol:

It's the only Graham Greene book I've read so far and for me I think it has been a good introduction to his work. I'll definitely check out more.

Oh good I like short books. :lol: Thanks for that. I will definitely be adding it to the wish list.

The End of the Affair is absolutely superb, if you want another Greene recommendation. There was a guy a few years back who was keen on me but he just wouldn't take the hint that I wasn't interested. Anyway, he found out this was one of my favourite books and bought me my own copy, which I kept, along with the chocolates he left at my door, (:lol:) while getting someone to have a word with him to make him leave me alone.

A stalker who buys you a book can't be all bad...

Oryx and Crake

Margaret Atwood

Published: 2003

Number of pages: 436

Pigs might not fly but they are strangely altered. So, for that matter, are wolves and racoons. A man, once called Jimmy, now calls himself Snowman and lives in a tree, wrapped in old bed sheets. The voice of Oryx, the woman he loved, teasingly haunts him. And the green-eyed Children of Crake are, for some reason, his responsibility.

Comments:

A very enjoyable, yet disturbing, read that contains all the elements that earmark a terrific piece of dystopian literature. It brings to mind some of the greats (Huxley, Orwell) and is a credible take on a world in the near future in which science has gone too far. Any novel that makes you despair for the future of mankind has done a pretty good job, in my opinion.

The story begins with Snowman (aka Jimmy) who may be the last living person on earth (apart from the Crakers). The story jumps between past and present as Atwood slowly unveils the circumstances and events leading up to Jimmy's current situation. Oryx and Crake are mythologised by the Crakers and revered as gods, but the reader is privy to their all-to-human faults.

Margaret Atwood has clearly done a lot of research for this novel, and it shows. Along with the knowledge of genetic engineering, she has done a terrific job of bringing her characters to life. The more I think about this book, the more I realise what an incredible job Atwood did with it. Highly recommended.

Started: 6 April 2008

Finished: 12 April 2008

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Oscar Wilde

Published: 1890

Number of pages: 200

Dorian is a good-natured young man until he discovers the power of his own exceptional beauty. As he gradually sinks deep into a frivolous, glamourous world of selfish luxury, he apparently remains physically unchanged by the stresses of his corrupt lifestyle and untouched by age. But up in his attic, hidden behind a curtain, his portrait tells a different story...

Comments:

A wonderfully dark and Gothic novel. Dorian starts the story as a young, innocent man who is more or less unconcerned by his extraordinary beauty. Then he meets Lord Henry, who derives great pleasure in imparting his theories on aestheticism to the impressionable young man. Dorian drinks it all in and begins a life of debauchery and depravity, which leads to tragedy for everyone he comes in contact with.

The Picture of Dorian Gray misses out on a perfect 10 only because I found Lord Henry's ramblings a little hard-going at times. He's a very quotable man (or should I say, Oscar Wilde is a very quotable man), not that I agreed with much of what he said. It took me a while to get into the book, but once the story picked up, it flew along. Has one of the best endings to a story that I have ever read.

Started: 13 April 2008

Finished: 17 April 2008

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the Penguin mailing list and last week got an email saying the first 50 readers to email them would receive an advance copy of Tim Winton's new book, Breath. Lo and behold I got home last night to find a package for me! I was so excited because I've never won anything in my life and I was sure I'd be too late with my email :)

I've had Cloudstreet on my TBR pile for a while, and I really should read that first, but then I wouldn't have the fun of reading an advance copy!

The Garden of Rama

Arthur C Clarke & Gentry Lee

Rating: 8/10

Published: 1991

Number of pages: 593

In the year 2130 a mysterious spaceship, Rama, arrived in the solar system. It was huge - big enough to contain a city and a sea - and empty, apparently abandoned. By the time Rama departed for its next, unknown, destination many wonders had been uncovered, but few mysteries solved. Only one thing was clear: everything the enigmatic builders of Rama did, they did in threes.

Eighty years later the second alien craft arrived in the solar system. This time, Earth had been waiting. But all the years of preparation were not enough to unlock the Raman enigma.

Now Rama II is on its way out of the solar system. Aboard it are three humans, two men and a woman, left behind when the expedition departed. Ahead of them lies the unknown, a voyage no human has ever experienced. And at the end of it - and who could tell how many years away that might be? - may lie the truth about Rama...

Comments:

The Garden of Rama is the third book in the Rama series and is the most monumental work yet. I thought it was a great read and it doesn't suffer from a lack of characterisation as many other science fiction novels do. It's largely because of this that you can tell it is more heavily influenced by Gentry Lee than Arthur C Clarke. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage. While it has the characterisation, it also lacks a little in Arthur C Clarke's sheer brilliance.

The story spans many years and many adventures and overall is a rollicking good, light read. It was particularly interesting to see how the humans reacted to their new environment onboard Rama and what they made of their chance to begin a new civilisation and avoid the mistakes that mankind has made on Earth. I can't wait to read the final book, Rama Revealed, to find out how it ends.

Started: 17 April 2008

Finished: 25 April 2008

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

CS Lewis

Published: 1949

Number of pages: 89

Summary (taken from Dymocks website):

When Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are sent to stay with a kind professor who lives in the country, they can hardly imagine the extraordinary adventure that awaits them. It all begins one rainy summer day when the children explore the professor's rambling old house. When they come across a room with an old wardrobe in the corner, Lucy immediately opens the door and gets inside. To her amazement, she suddenly finds herself standing in the clearing of a wood on a winter afternoon, with snowflakes falling through the air. Lucy has found Narnia, a magical land of fauns and centaurs, nymphs and talking animals - and of the beautiful but evil White Witch, who has held the country in eternal winter for a hundred years.

Comments:

I'm told by a childhood friend that we both read this story in primary school but I had no recollection of it so I was looking forward to reading it (again). I wish I had paid more attention and read the entire Chronicles of Narnia when I was a young'un so perhaps I could experience the magic a bit better. Reading the story as an adult is fun, and it was a good read, but I feel I was missing something that can only be experienced by a child.

I enjoyed the story for what is was, and didn't notice too much of the religious symbolism until afterwards, when I'd stopped to think about it and read other reviews. This is my favourite way to approach a story, especially for the first time. If I want to delve deeper into the symbolism I'll have a re-read at a later date.

Overall, a very pleasant read and I look forward to reading the rest of the Chronicles.

Started: 25 April 2008

Finished: 27 April 2008

I absolutely love this series - I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Thanks Michelle :cry2: What did you think of Rama Revealed? I haven't read it yet, but I'm interested to hear whether you think it is a fitting end to the series.

I read Rendezvous with Rama years ago and absolutely loved it. I was put off reading the second one for some reason which I can't now remember. Either I started reading it and gave up not far in because I didn't think the writing was as good as the first, or I was put off by someone who read it and found it disappointing compared to the first one.

I am tempted to give this series another go now though.

The sequels to Rendezvous with Rama are quite different to the original. They focus more on characterisation and a bit less on the science fiction aspect, and I can understand why you might like them less than the original. They both have their merits though, and I would recommend giving it another try! For me, the story itself made up for any problems I may have had with it being different to the original. :)

Playing Beatie Bow

Ruth Park

Published: 1981

Number of pages: 196

The game is called Beatie Bow and the children play it for the thrill of scaring themselves. But when Abigail is drawn in, the game is quickly transformed into an extraordinary, sometimes horrifying, adventure as she finds herself transported to a place that is foreign yet strangely familiar.

Comments:

Abigail is an insightful, although not always likeable, teenager who lives in The Rocks, an historic area located next to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. While chasing a young girl through the maze and alleys of The Rocks, Abigail finds herself transported back in time over 100 years, to a time when poverty and illness were widespread, and lives were very different. She is taken in by a family and discovers that she must help them to preserve The Gift.

The story is well-written and Victorian-era Sydney is portrayed very realistically (presumably, I wouldn't actually know having never lived in that time myself!). What I mean to say is, The Rocks are really brought to life. I know the area a bit, which is always an asset when reading. It's a very interesting place and I'd love to go and retrace Abigail's steps through the labyrinth that is The Rocks.

I last read this book when I was in primary school, some 15 years ago at least, and I had very vague recollections of it. I think it's still a common text in most primary schools, and long may it remain that way!

Started: 27 April 2008

Finished: 29 April 2008

Breath

Tim Winton

Rating: 7/10

Published: 2008

Number of pages: 216

When paramedic Bruce Pike arrives too late to save a boy found hanged in his bedroom he senses immediately that this lonely death is an accident.

Pike knows the difference between suicide and misadventure. He understands only too well the forces that can propel a kid toward oblivion. Not just because he's an ambulance-man but because of the life he's lived, the boy he once was, addicted to extremes, flirting with death, pushing every boundary in the struggle to be extraordinary, barely knowing where or how to stop.

So begins a story about the damage you do to yourself when you're young and think you're immortal.

Comments:

Breath is a coming-of-age story about the teenaged 'Pikelet', who befriends the reckless 'Loonie' and their surfing mentor 'Sando'. Pikelet and Loonie develop a friendly rivalry and push themselves and each other to their physical and mental limits. Under Sando's watchful eye, they gradually become more daring and take on bigger and more dangerous waves.

While I sometimes found myself getting a little impatient with all of the surfing descriptions, I also got more and more absorbed, to the point where I imagined that I felt a little short of breath at the same time that Pikelet was struggling for breath after getting dumped by a huge wave. The vivid descriptions really enabled me to be there, cresting the waves right alongside Pikelet.

As the story goes along, it gets more and more depressing as Pikelet gets in over his head. Ultimately it's a story of triumph, but there's always an underlying current of sadness that permeates throughout the entire book and doesn't make for a particularly happy read, albeit it's a very good read.

This isn't usually the type of book I would go for, but it's by one of Australia's most critically-acclaimed authors and I've been wanting to read his work for a while. I'm looking forward to more of it.

Started: 29 April 2008

Finished: 1 May 2008

Edited by Kylie

I managed a whopping 8 books last month - a new record for me, I think. :smile2: My total for the year now stands at 24.

With regards to my various challenges, my running totals stand at (completed challenges in orange):

CL: Classics Challenge (12/25) +3

1K: 1001 Books Challenge (9/20) +3

RD: Reading through the Decades Challenge (9/11) +0

BF: Book Club Forum Reading Circle Challenge (3/10) +0

YA: Young Adults Challenge (5/10) +2

SF: Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge (9/8) +3

AU: Australian Literature Challenge (4/6) +1

DY: Dystopian Challenge (5/5) +1

BB: Banned Books Challenge (3/5) +1

I completed 2 challenges in April and made good progress on others. I'm a bit behind in my BF Challenge, so I'm hoping to read two books for that challenge this month.

I only bought 7 books in April, compared to 13 in March. This is due at least in part to joining the 'read 3, buy 1' support group. :D

Edited by Kylie

The sequels to Rendezvous with Rama are quite different to the original. They focus more on characterisation and a bit less on the science fiction aspect, and I can understand why you might like them less than the original. They both have their merits though, and I would recommend giving it another try! For me, the story itself made up for any problems I may have had with it being different to the original. :D

Thanks. I will have to give it some consideration :smile2: