Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2008

Kylie

My daughter Emily, loved these books when she was around 10 or 11.

I think we still have a box of Trixie Belden books tucked away in a box under Emily's bed.

If you like Kylie, I'll have a look and see if we have any of the remaining books you are looking for.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one book on the weekend and my Mum bought me another, for no particular reason:

Daphne du Maurier: Julius

Stephen King: Night Shift

I have several reviews to write up - I'm slipping behind again! I'll be finishing up Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut today, and I've finished Charlotte's Web by EB White and have moved onto Stuart Little by the same author (both books are in one volume, along with The Trumpet of the Swan).

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Roald Dahl

Rating: 6/10

Published: 1973

Number of pages: 137

Summary (taken from blurb):

Charlie has won the chocolate factory, and sails off in his strange new means of transport to take possession. But somehow the elevator goes into orbit and Charlie, Mr Wonka, and all the grandparents have to save themselves and three gallant astronauts from a mob of vicious space monsters.

Comments:

Another enjoyable read by Roald Dahl, but nowhere near as good as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. My edition has been illustrated by Faith Jacques, and while the illustrations are nice, it's just not the same as having it done by Quentin Blake. Surprisingly, I found this had a definite impact on my enjoyment of the story. That said, there were some humorous parts (including the stuff that was politically incorrect and which I probably shouldn't have laughed at), and overall it was a decent read. Not one of Dahl's best, but worth a read nevertheless.

Started: 4 July 2008

Finished: 7 July 2008

• 2 weeks later...

My reading slowed down a little last month because I was busy packing and moving house. I read 4 books in July, which is about average. My total for the year now stands at 37.

July was a pretty poor month for my challenges. One book counted towards my YA Challenge, but the rest didn't fit into any. With regards to my various challenges, my running totals stand at (completed challenges in orange):

CL: Classics Challenge (20/25) +0

1K: 1001 Books Challenge (13/20) +0

RD: Reading through the Decades Challenge (10/11) +0

BF: Book Club Forum Reading Circle Challenge (6/10) +0

YA: Young Adults Challenge (9/10) +1

SF: Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge (9/8)

AU: Australian Literature Challenge (5/6) +0

DY: Dystopian Challenge (5/5)

BB: Banned Books Challenge (5/5)

I bought 4 books in July.

William S Burroughs: Naked Lunch

Arthur C Clarke: The Space Trilogy (Islands in the Sky, Earthlight, The Sands of Mars)

John Connolly: The Book of Lost Things

Charles Dickens: Oliver Twist

Helen Fielding: Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Henry Fielding: Tom Jones

Similar to what I did last year, I thought I'd make a note of the books I really want to read by the end of the year. At the rate of approximately 1 book per week, that means 18 books in the next 4 and a half months. I think I'll just list 12, and leave the rest to chance.

Jane Austen: Northanger Abbey & Persuasion

For the BCF Jane Austen Reading Circle.

Kim Edwards: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Now that this has come up in the reading circle, I'll hopefully be able to bump it off by the end of this month.

Ralph Ellison: Invisible Man

A classic I've been wanting to read for a while. If I'm having trouble getting through this list, this is one that can probably wait until next year.

Thomas Hardy: Far from the Madding Crowd

I had this listed last year, and actually started it in December before life got in the way and I had to abandon reading it. I had been enjoying it though, so I'm looking forward to it again.

Hermann Hesse: The Glass Bead Game

This has been on my TBR pile for ages and I'm sick of seeing it there. Time to read it!

Audrey Niffenegger: The Time Traveler's Wife

Maggie O'Farrell: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

Jodi Piccoult: Vanishing Acts

Three books I've had for a while and really want to read. All are new authors to me.

William Makepeace Thackeray: Vanity Fair

I've had this for ages and have been desperate to read it, but other books keep jumping the line. I've decided my dodgy second-hand copy isn't going to do justice to the story, so I'm on the lookout for a new copy before I begin.

John Kennedy Toole: A Confederacy of Dunces

Also hoping to read this one by the end of this month because it's going to be featured on a book review TV show in early September.

John Wyndham: The Chrysalids

The next in my Wyndham odyssey. Really looking forward to this one.

Hmm, looking at this list, I think I have a few long and (sometimes) difficult reads coming up. Hopefully I'll get through them all!

Ralph Ellison: Invisible Man

A classic I've been wanting to read for a while. If I'm having trouble getting through this list, this is one that can probably wait until next year.

I'd certainly recommend that, Kylie. Definitely a "classic".

John Kennedy Toole: A Confederacy of Dunces

Also hoping to read this one by the end of this month because it's going to be featured on a book review TV show in early September.

I'd be interested to know what you think of this, if you do read it. I read it a couple of years back and didn't get on with it, but many people rate it highly, I know.

Edited by Janet
Fixed the quotes :)

Wow! That's impressive, I can't believe how organized you are with your reading Kylie, I always write lists and try to plan my reading with the best of intentions, but then I'll buy a new book and find myself reading it on impluse. I wish I had just a little bit of your restraint.

Well, let's see how my list has gone by the end of the year. You're more optimistic than I am! :smile2:

I should also point out that I bought Thank You, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse last week and started reading it the same day, even though I already had another book with me (and 300+ more waiting for me at home). Not so impressive now, is it? :)

Thanks for your comments, Janet and Roland!

Audrey Niffenegger: The Time Traveler's Wife

Jodi Piccoult: Vanishing Acts

Three books I've had for a while and really want to read. All are new authors to me.

I really enjoyed the Time Traveler's Wife although it was a while ago that I read it!

Have just finished reading Vanishing Acts and really enjoyed it! I had the impression that Picoult was a chic lit kind of author (not meant as a criticism, I quite like chic lit) but acutally have found that all of her books that I have read have been quite thought provoking! Hope you enjoy it!

The Thirteenth Tale

Diane Setterfield

Rating: 8/10

Published: 2006

Number of pages: 459

Angelfield House stands abandoned and forgotten. It was once the imposing home of the March family - fascinating, manipulative Isabelle, Charlie, her brutal and dangerous brother, and the wild, untamed twins, Emmaline and Adeline. But Angelfield House conceals a chilling secret whose impact still resonates...

Now Margaret Lea is investigating Angelfield's past - and the mystery of the March family starts to unravel. What has the house been hiding? What is its connection with the enigmatic author Vida Winter? And what is it in Margaret's own troubled past that causes her to fall so powerfully under Angelfield's spell?

Comments:

The Thirteenth Tale is an engaging and atmospheric gothic novel, and Setterfield reveals herself as an excellent story-teller. Having a booklover narrate the story helped me to identify with Margaret, the main character, and there are some lovely insights on reading.

The story is very well developed and the mystery is built up nicely. I wouldn't say it was suspenseful, but I was kept very interested in learning the outcome, which I didn't guess beforehand. I like that not everything was resolved, and also that the story had no definite time setting; it helped add to the mystery.

The main problems I had with the book were Margaret's obsession with her twin, which came on a little strongly, and I also felt that the Angelfield family were a little too unbelievable as characters. They were all so remote as to not even seem human most of the time, and in the time setting that I had concocted in my mind, they seemed very out of place (actually, when I tried to place them at different points in time, they didn't seem to fit anywhere).

Overall, a very enjoyable book; different and full of intrigue. Highly recommended.

Started: 7 July 2008

Finished: 15 July 2008

Timequake

Kurt Vonnegut

Rating: 6/10

Published: 1997

Number of pages: 219

'Timequake explores what happens to Vonnegut when, in 2001, a 'timequake' hits. The universe has a decade of self-doubt, shrinking back to 1991 and forcing everybody to relive the last 10 years of their lives exactly as they had before, but without free will. The same mistakes. The same corny jokes. The same doses of clap.' James Urquhart, Independent

Comments:

I really tried to enjoy this book, but it was just so disjointed and confusing that I couldn't really get into it. Part autobiography and part fiction, it's often hard to tell where fact ends and fiction begins. I know the book is supposed to be this way but, regardless, I struggled with this method of writing.

The basic plot (and I use the term 'plot' very loosely) discusses a 'timequake': an event whereby the universe shrinks slightly and everyone is thrown back 10 years in time to relive their lives exactly as they happened the first time around. That is, every thought, every action and every word is identical. When the timequake ends and humans are suddenly presented with free will again, most don't know what to do with it. It's an interesting premise, but one that isn't used to great effect. The timequake is more like a thin thread that weaves together some of the thoughts and anecdotes of Kurt Vonnegut, which make up the bulk of the book.

Timequake's saving grace is that Vonnegut comes up with some absolute gems concerning humans and their environment. Some of his stuff is very quotable (so quotable, in fact, that I forgot to write any down!) I'd only recommend this for the more hardcore Vonnegut fan. Having only previously read Slaughterhouse-Five, I'm not in that camp myself, but Timequake certainly hasn't put me off reading other works by Vonnegut.

Started: 16 July 2008

Finished: 28 July 2008

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I am way behind in updating this thread (not like me). I'll start by posting a catch-up list of all the books that I've bought recently.

John Brunner: Stand on Zanzibar

GK Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday

Aldous Huxley: After Many a Summer

Aldous Huxley: The Devils of Loudun

China Mieville: Perdido Street Station

William Makepeace Thackeray: Vanity Fair

Melina Marchetta: On the Jellicoe Road

Melina Marchetta: Saving Francesca

PG Wodehouse: Blandings Castle

PG Wodehouse: Full Moon

PG Wodehouse: The Heart of a Goof

PG Wodehouse: Jeeves in the Offing

PG Wodehouse: Leave it to Psmith

PG Wodehouse: Piccadilly Jim

PG Wodehouse: Ring for Jeeves

PG Wodehouse: Service with a Smile

PG Wodehouse: Summer Lightning

PG Wodehouse: Ukridge

Markus Zusak: The Messenger

Happy reading Kylie, I can't wait to hear what you think of 'The Messenger' by Markus Zusak, I keep meaning to buy it but get sidetracked by something else.:blush:

I should also point out that I bought Thank You, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse last week and started reading it the same day, even though I already had another book with me (and 300+ more waiting for me at home). Not so impressive now, is it? :D

Bwah-ha! That's how I read too. :) I always have to delve into a new book soon as it's there in my hands even if it's just a few pages. Lately I have been attempting to exercise a disciplined approach and have divided my reading into tbr piles of genre or author. Then there's discussion reads, recommendations, the challenges on here. . . .

ps That's an astounding list, Kylie. I'm well impressed.

Edited by kernow_reader

A belated wrap-up of last month. I'm way behind on my reviews too :D

August was a bit slow with a few short books read, and one moderately long one. I read 4 books in August, which is about average. My total for the year now stands at 41.

I caught up a bit on my CL and 1K Challenges, and I completed the Reading through the Decades Challenge. With regards to my various challenges, my running totals stand at (completed challenges in orange):

CL: Classics Challenge (22/25) +3

1K: 1001 Books Challenge (16/20) +2

RD:Reading through the Decades Challenge (11/11) +1

BF: Book Club Forum Reading Circle Challenge (7/10) +1

YA: Young Adults Challenge (9/10) +0

SF: Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge (9/8)

AU: Australian Literature Challenge (5/6) +0

DY: Dystopian Challenge (5/5)

BB: Banned Books Challenge (5/5)

I bought 3 times as many books in August as I did in July (from 4 in July to 12 in August...and September's number is going to be even worse!).

Edited by Kylie

• 3 weeks later...

Found a couple of good secondhand bookshops today!

Clive Barker: The Thief of Always

Lois Lowry: The Giver

John Updike: Rabbit, Run

Dorothy Wall: Blinky Bill

I haven't updated my 'books bought' for a while, so here's the rest of what I've been buying, all for the month of September I'm afraid (and already posted in the other thread):

Arthur C Clarke: Childhood's End

Jack Kerouac: On the Road: The Original Scroll

Walter Miller Jr: A Canticle for Leibowitz

Vladimir Nabokov: The Real Life of Sebastian Knight

And from a bookfest:

Douglas Adams : Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Virginia Andrews: Flowers in the Attic

Isaac Asimov: Foundation's Edge

Isaac Asimov: Prelude to Foundation

Isaac Asimov: Rest of the Robots, The

Isaac Asimov: Second Foundation

Isaac Asimov: Stars Like Dust, The

Isaac Asimov: Foundation

Isaac Asimov: Foundation and Empire

Clive Barker: Everville

Clive Barker: Galilee

Ray Bradbury: Day it Rained Forever, The

Ray Bradbury: From the Dust Returned

Ray Bradbury: Machineries of Joy

Ray Bradbury: Silver Locusts, The

John Brunner: Squares of the City, The

Frances Hodgson Burnett: Little Lord Fauntleroy

Orson Scott Card: Ender's Shadow

Geoffrey Chaucer: Canterbury Tales

Agatha Christie: Taken at the Flood

Arthur C Clarke: Cradle

Iris Rainer Dart: Beaches 2: I'll Be There

Philip K Dick: I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon

Philip K Dick: Divine Invasion, The

Philip K Dick: Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, The

Philip K Dick: Transmigration of Timothy Archer, The

George Eliot: Mill on the Floss, The

Michael Ende: Neverending Story, The

William Gibson: Neuromancer

Ursula Le Guin: Dispossessed, The

Thomas Hardy: Jude the Obscure

Dashiell Hammett: Thin Man, The

Harry Harrison: Deathworld 1

Harry Harrison: Deathworld 2

Harry Harrison: Deathworld 3

Harry Harrison: Stainless Steel Rat, The

Stanislaw Lem: Hospital of the Transfiguration

Stanislaw Lem: Memoirs of a Space Traveler

Stanislaw Lem: More Tales of Pirx the Pilot

Stanislaw Lem: Solaris

CS Lewis: Dark Tower, The

CS Lewis: Perelandra

CS Lewis: That Hideous Strength

Norman Lindsay: Magic Pudding, The

Michelle Margorian: Goodnight Mr Tom

John Marsden: Great Gatenby, The

China Mieville: Scar, The

Philip Pullman: Northern Lights

Olaf Stapledon: Last and First Men

Sue Townsend: Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years

Edgar Wallace: Door with Seven Locks, The

John Wyndham: Seeds of Time, The

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte's Web

EB White

Rating: 8/10

Published: 1952, 1946, 1970

Number of pages: 530

Charlotte's Web

This is the story of a girl called Fern who loves a little pig called Wilbur. And of how Wilbur's dear friend Charlotte A Cavatica, a beautiful grey spider, saves Wilbur from the usual fate of nice fat pigs, by a wonderfully clever plan (which no one else could possibly have thought of).

Stuart Little

Stuart Little is a fascinating character. A debonair, intelligent mouse, game for every kind of adventure, and always managing to overcome any difficulties.

The Trumpet of the Swan

Louis is a trumpeter swan without a voice, a swan of great character not at all deterred by his handicap. With the help of his friend Sam beaver, Louis learns to read and write, but his main problem is still how to woo the elegant Serena. And so Louis learns to play the trumpet.

Comments:

I loved Charlotte's Web when I was young and was looking forward to revisiting it as an adult. The story has lost none of its charm and wonder for me and Charlotte and Wilbur's friendship is beautiful to behold.

Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan were equally charming stories. Highly recommended.

Started: 19 July 2008

Finished: 1 August 2008

Thank You, Jeeves

PG Wodehouse

Rating: 9/10

Published: 1934

Number of pages: 275

Thank You, Jeeves is the first novel to feature the incomparable valet Jeeves and hist hapless charge Bertie Wooster - and you've hardly started to turn the pages when Jeeves resigns over Bertie's dedicated but somewhat untuneful playing of the banjo. In high dudgeon, Bertie disappears to the country as a guests of his chum Chuffy - only to find his peace shattered by the arrival of his ex-fiancee Pauline Stoker, her formidable father and the eminent loony doctor Sir Roderick Glossop. When Chuffy falls in love with Pauline and Bertie seems to be caught in flagrante, a situation boils up which only Jeeves (whether employed or not) can simmer down...

Comments:

Ah, the joy of discovering a new author! Wodehouse's brand of humour is right up my alley and I thoroughly enjoyed my first taste of Jeeves and Wooster. Since finishing this book a few months ago, I've gone and bought a couple of dozen other works of Wodehouse. If that doesn't tell you how much I enjoyed this book, nothing will! A light, entertaining read and highly recommended.

Started: 31 July 2008

Finished: 8 July 2008