shelfari v librarything

Heather

I belong to both shelfari and librarything and out of the two I would say that I prefer shelfari. Shalfari to me has the better layout and you can sort your books out onto different shelves. The layout is very pleasing to look at although librarything has a nice layout too.

What do you think of these two sites it would be interesting to get your views.

I was, until very recently, on both, but I've shut down my Shelfari account for several reasons:

1) I was all over the place to different sites listing books (which gets tedious)

2) I don't like the post set-up on Shelfari groups

3) I kept getting requests and messages from complete strangers - and they were really strange messages that wigged me out a litle bit.

Over-all, I prefer the Library Thing set-up and I'm quite happy to stick with that for now.

Guest fireball

Well Kell, the only ever so strange query from me is how'd you like your eggs.? Hard or running like mad over the b'l'o'o'd'y plate,! or worse, you fed the goldfish WHAT.?!!!;):lol::D:lol:

Otherwise, I'm normal, haven't wigged out any girl yet, now that WOULD freak me out.!!:D Stay cool and healthy :lol:

I'm using LibraryThing and Goodreads. Haven't really looked at Shelfari. I think they all have their good and bad points. It's just a matter of which one is more suitable for you. The thing I like about LibraryThing, is that you can edit the book - so if the spelling is wrong, or if it's done in all upper case, or the cover is different, you can change it. I've noticed with Goodreads, that's not an option. I currently have Cat's Eye in Goodreads, listed as Cat's Eye B, which must be what it was uploaded as. That kind of thing bugs me, as it's all I can see when I log on there. :motz:Another thing, I've noticed (more so on Goodreads), is multiple copies of the same book listed (and I don't mean different updated versions), so when you try to compare your list to a friends, it often tells you that you have 0% in common, even though it's clear that's not the case. :lol: I would prefer if all books were listed once (with specifically different versions listed as 'sub-units' of the main title). I do prefer LibraryThing, mainly because it's so versatile.

I like both. I like Shelfari for the fact that I can add an unlimited number of books. I like the way Shelfari builds my shelf, too. But I think that LT has a cleaner look. I just don't like the fact that I can only have 200 books on my shelf, and I'm not willing to pay them for more. So what I end up doing is deleting some books to add others, and that can be very annoying.

Shelfari has been as frustrating as hell today. I've been trying to organize my shelf into all the new shelves, and the website keeps changing my selections, and there's no way to do any bulk editing. I'm also irritated at the little window that pops up everytime I put my mouse over a book...it takes forever to disappear, even when I go to a different page. Grrr.....:lol:

I prefer Librarything. I have a Shelfari account but it seems to have fewer editions of my books and I don't like that. I haven't used Shelfari in a while and I will probably close it down soon.

:friends0:

Shelfari never has the covers I want for my books so I don't like the look of it very much. I haven't used it for ages so I'll probably close it down too.

I like the look of LibraryThing and it's easy to use. I'll stick with that. :D