A Dystopian World - Ongoing Blog

On 12/17/2023 at 4:38 PM, Hayley said:

This is on my wish list, so I'm glad you still think it's worth reading! The goblin market does sound particularly intriguing.

Have I already mentioned The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern to you? Because if I haven't (and if you haven't read it yet) I think you'd love it! It's so magical and has absolutely brilliant characters.

I just finished reading this! it is astonishing!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 5:03 PM, Goose said:

A Marvellous Light – Freya Marske

(LGBT, urban fantasy, romance)

AMarvellousLight.thumb.jpg.5058776da29682b71e0cca1f83d0f7f9.jpg

2.75/5

A Marvellous Light is set in an Edwardian England that has a secret society of people who can do magic. Robin Blyth unknowingly exposes himself to this secret and the dangers it poses when he accepts a job in a minor government post. He meets Edwin Courcey, an uptight magician and they reluctantly embark on a mission together to solve the mystery of Robin’s missing predecessor.

This book turned out to not be quite what I expected it, it is much heavier on the romance as opposed to the fantasy. I enjoyed to magic system used in this world however overall felt that the story didn’t really know where it was going and it wasn’t entirely my cup of tea. The element that I did really like however were the characters Robin and Edwin. They are almost opposites of each other and I enjoyed seeing their relationship develop.

I would recommend this book if you like romances with a slight fantasy edge, however if you are looking for a more fantasy heavy story the I wouldn’t say it was for you.

Opening line: Reginald Gatling’s doom found him beneath an oak tree, on the last Sunday of a fast-fading summer.

Format: ebook

384 pages

Published in 2021

I liked it. It was a charming, cozy read that I really enjoyed!