The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Mercy - Jodi Picoult

A Place Called Here - Cecelia Ahern

The Republic of Love - Carol Shields

The Winds of Heaven - Monica Dickens

Love Over Scotland - Alex Mc Call Smith

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - finished 27/1/08

Runours of a Hurricane - Tim Lott - finished 15/2/08

The Simple Rules of Love - Amanda Brookfield - started 25/2/08, finished 15/3/08

Reading in Bed - Sue Gee - started 16/3/08, finished 23/3/08

Breaking the Trust - Lucy Clare - started 23/3/2008

The Surgeon - Tess Gerritsen - started 8/5/2008 - finished 14/5/2008

A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian - Marina Lewycka

The Self Preservation Society - Kate Harrison

Breaking the Trust - Lucy Clare - finished 30/3/08

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee - Rebecca Miller - finished 5/4/2008

Mr Pip - Lloyd Jones - started 5/4/2008 - finished 11/4/2008

Nick Hornby - Slam - started 11/4/08 - finished 14/4/2008

South of the River - finished 1/5/08

The Battle for Big School - Sarah Tucker - started 1/5/2008 - finished 8/5/2008

The Stepmother - Carrie Adams - started 14/5/2008 - finished - 21/5/2008

Worldwide Adventures in Love - Louise Wener - started 21/5/2008 - finished - 27/5/2008

My Favourite Wife - Tony Parsons - started 27/5/2008 - finished 4/6/2008

Friday Nights - Joanna Trollope - finished 10/6/2008

The Ingenious Edgar Jones - Elizabeth Garner - started 10/6/2000 - finished 22/6/2008

Second Chance - Jane Green - started 22/6/2008 - finished 29/6/2008

At a Loss For Words - Diane Schoemperlen - started 20/6/2008

Edited by happyanddandy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Missus:friends0:

How was The Book Thief?

Be interested to hear your opinion on Mercy by Jodi Picoult. I have read quite a few Picoults now but have to say its my least favourite to date.

KxXx

Edit ~ just read on the review thread that you enjoyed The Book Thief - going to treat myself to this at the weekend.

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

I adored this book. My tastes have changed since I've read it, but this one is such an iconic book on my shelf.

I don't know if you've read Thousand Splendid Suns yet, but I thought that one was better. Kite Runner was incredible, of course, not to take that away from how great of a book it was. This one was incredible though

• 2 weeks later...

Finished 'Marshmallows for Breakfast' by Dorothy Koomson.

Better second book from this author - nearly put of completely by the first. The story is about a mature woman who leaves Australia in a hurry and rents a flat from a man with children having problems. Needless to say a relationship develops although not the obvious one. And that is what makes to the story a good one. The ending is not obvious either. It's about people, relationships and angst in good measure if that's what you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished 'Temptation' by Douglas Kennedy - a convolute story about a Hollywood scriptwriter who breaks through to the big time and then suddenly everything goes pear shaped.

I guessed that there was someone plotting his downfall half way through but it could have been more than one person.

. A quick interesting read which I would recommend to others

On to another light read - Amanda Brookfied again 'The Simple Rules of Love' sounds a bit sloppy but she usually writes very well.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished 'The Simple Rules of Love' last night. When I started reading it I realised it was a sequel to a previous Brookfield novel and I was pleased to find out what happened to those characters. The book is almost 600 pages long and is about the ups and downs of an extended middle class family over the space of a year. Unwanted pregnancy, separation and attempted suicide are all here.

The book is too long and even more annoying is that all the ends are tidied up pat and happily. However it is well written, thorough and descriptive and it was not a chore. Brookfield has a blockbuster in there somewhere but this is not it.

I could not find 'Mr Pip' on my bookshelves late last night which was my intended read so I picked up Sue Gee - 'Reading in Bed' instead

Ok here goes;

The Island - Victoia Hislop

After you'd Gone - Maggie O'Farrell

The Distance Between Us - Maggie O'Farrell

My Lover's Lover - Maggie O'Farrell

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

The Friday Night Knitting Club - Kate Jacobs

Mercy - Jodi Picoult

A Place Called Here - Cecelia Ahern

The Republic of Love - Carol Shields

The Winds of Heaven - Monica Dickens

Love Over Scotland - Alex Mc Call Smith

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - finished 27/1/08

Runours of a Hurricane - Tim Lott - finished 15/2/08

The Simple Rules of Love - Amanda Brookfield - started 25/2/08, finished 15/3/08

Reading in Bed - Sue Gee - started 16/3/08

Paula have you actually got all these books???:blush:

Finished Sue Gee - 'Reading in Bed' late last night.

An enjoyable read. It's a story of two close families going through very stressful times and how they deal with it and their relationships. Gee is at pains to tell the reader and to illustrate how middle class her characters are and how they fit the stereotype. It seems as though it is a tale written without a plan (which is fine) but then at the end is tided up nicely for us. The mad aunt Maud story is almost a sideline that rarely impinges on the main story. I like the style and would read Gee again.

On to Lucy Clare - 'Breaking the Trust' - her second novel - I enjoyed the first so looking forward to this.

Finished 'Breaking the Trust' quickly. It's another family tale with old secrets revealed (but not all) on the death of the patriarch.

Initially didn't seem like this story was going to hang together very well. To contrived possibly. But it flowed onwards and came to an excellent crescendo. Could almost do with a prequel about the story of Jack (patriarch) and Shirley (one true love unrequited). Well written. Preferred 'Hoping for Hope' but this was good too.

On to my first Early Review for Librarything. 'The Private Lives of Pippa Lee' by Rebecca Miller

Blurb -

She is the devoted wife of a brilliant man thirty years her senior, proud mother of grown-up twins, and an adored friend and neighbour. But where once she was content with this seemingly enviable world, Pippa finds her life beginning to unravel. Amid the buzzing lawnmowers and suburban coffee mornings, she starts to wonder, how did she find herself in this place?

The Private lives of Pippa Lee is a story of wild youth, unexpected encounters, affairs and betrayals, and the dangerous security of marriage. It brilliantly captures the challenges, confusion and excitement of modern life - and all the possibility that it holds.

We shall see!!

I'm enjoying Pippa Lee at the mo but I feel I need a good reading session with it - hopefully I'll get the opportunity tomorrow - might go back to bed for an hour once OH has left.

Finished Pippa Lee.

An intriguing read. It started off as a safe predictable read about a middle aged housewife and her older husband who have moved into a retirement community. However the story morphs into something entirely different and unpredictable when it goes back to Pippa's dysfunctional childhood and teenage years. It then appears to start developing sado masochistic tendencies and then on to the drug scene.

When Pippa meets and starts a relationship with Herb Lee 30 years her senior who ultimately becomes her huband, a truly shocking event follows which seems to trigger a period in Pippa where she happily becomes the perfect houswife and mother for twenty years or so.

In the third part of the book lots of unexpected things start happening. Pippa befriends the strange son of a friend who has a tattoo of God on his chest. In a scene towards the end of the book the author depicts the act of lovemaking between the two as a supernatural event which I suspect some readers might find offensive.

I enjoyed reading this book and I liked Pippa Lee for all sorts of different reasons. She conforms to traditional life but in her head she rebels and is shocked by her own rebellion.

The book starts in a relaxed fashion but takes you on a journey that twists and turns unexpectedly. The author writes well.

Love to hear what Judy and Esiotrot think asap ;)