Books for long journeys

DJ_Lewis

Hello everyone, I am new here but you seem like a friendly bunch so I look forward to your recommendations on this little question.

I am going on a long journey, 12 hours by plane, 3 days by train and am travelling light so, what 2 books should I take with me on this leg of my travels? I tend to read good modern fiction, Booker lists etc etc.

Many thanks

David

Hi David, and welcome to the forum!

I'd say your choices would have to depend on what kind of things you usually like reading. If you're only going to take two, I'd make sure they were ones you are pretty much assured to enjoy, and also that they're quite thick, so you don't run out of reading material while you're travelling.

Personally, I usually take a selection of about half a dozen average-sized books away with me when I'm travelling any distance, and keep at least three in my rather large handbag, so that I cah change my mind depending on my mood. I also try to take different kinds of books with me. For example, when I went away in the summer, the books I took with me included:

Anne of Green Gables by L M Montogmery;

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See;

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde;

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards;

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie;

and also an iPod stocked with audio books (at the time, I was listening to Mansfield Park by Jane Austen);

So, six very different books there to ammuse me in my travels, only one of which I didn't enjoy much (Half of a Yellow Sun - I just couldn't get into that one at all).

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy your choices and have an excellent trip!

... Shirley Conran's Savages are particularly good reads over long haul flights and to continue on holidays.

ooh, I can heartily agree with that one - a fantastic read! Definitely one you'd want with you if there was ever any chance of you being stuck on an island too!

Shirley Conran's Savages are particularly good reads over long haul flights and to continue on holidays.

ooh, I can heartily agree with that one - a fantastic read! Definitely one you'd want with you if there was ever any chance of you being stuck on an island too!

Yep I completley agree too - great book:D

Long journeys need longish books to last the journey, but ones with good narrative drive to keep you occupied, and also not too heavy going - they have to actually be relatively light, I find, otherwise it's too easy to get distracted, look out of the window, or fall asleep - Thomas Pynchon or James Joyce are bad travelling companions, for example. I am currently reading JG Farrell's The Singapore Grip which would fit the bill nicely; I'd always recommend David Mitchell's books, but they fit the criteria well, too. But I've read so much while travelling that it's almost impossible to choose. I do, often, like reading books based around the areas I'm travelling - perhaps that's a good place to start looking.

Long journeys need longish books to last the journey, but ones with good narrative drive to keep you occupied, and also not too heavy going - they have to actually be relatively light, I find, otherwise it's too easy to get distracted, look out of the window, or fall asleep .
Excellently put and I agree 100%. If you try reading Victor Hugo's Les Miserables on a plane, you are more than likely to try and jump out of it (the plane, I mean).