Deirdre Reading List for 2007 and TBR for 2008

Deirdre

As the year is almost finished I will already start with my TBR list for 2008 and add the list that I have read this year so far. My current read is still Brimstone by Preston & Child, I'm not so fast a reader anymore since my son was born, and I probably will finish this year by reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill

READ IN 2007:

Sarah Waters - Affinity

Val mc Dermid - The Torment of Others

Jeffrey Deaver - The Bone Collector

Peter Straub - Lost Boy, Lost Girl (dissapointing)

Tess Gerritsen - The Surgeon

Simon Beckett - The Chemistry of Death

Cecily von Ziegesar - Gossip Girl

Peter James - Dead Simple

Richard Montanari - The Rosary Girls

Melissa de la Cruz - The Au Pairs

Cecelia Ahern - Where Rainbows End

Preston & Child - The Relic

P.J. Tracy - Monkeewrench

Boris Starling - Messiah

Diane Setterfield - The Thirteenth Tale

Harlan Coben - Tell No One

John Connolly - Every Dead Thing (Re-read, still loving it)

Preston & Child - Reliquary

Sebastian Fitzek - The Therapy

Richard Montanari - The Skin Gods

Preston & Child - The Cabinet of Curiosities

Michael Marshall - The Intruders

John Saul - The Blackstone Chronicles

Jeff Abbott - Panic

Brian Freeman - Immoral

Preston & Child - Still Life with Crows

Preston & Child - Brimstone

Karin Slaughter - Blindsighted

Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box

Marion Zimmer Bradley- Ghostlight

TO BE READ IN 2008 (so far)

Preston & Child - Dance of Death

Preston & Child - The Book of the Death

Preston & Child - The Wheel of Darkness

Kate Mosse - Labyrinth

Gordon Dahlquist - The Glass Books of the Dream Eater

Markus Zusak - The Book Thief

Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian

Sheridan Hay - The Secret of Lost Things

Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel

Marisha Pessl - Special Topics in Calamity Procedures

Karin Slaughter - Kisscut

James Clemens - Wit'ch Fire

Although I have not yet finished Brimstone by Preston & Child, for some reason I can't really get into it. I loved the beginning, but now after 200 pages I think it is kind of losing its pace.

I decided to already start with Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, as I have been curious about this book for quiet some time now. I had no idea that the writer is Stephen Kings son. I will try not to have to high expectations about that, as it will be difficult to meassure up to him.

The Book of the Dead remains my favorite of all the Preston and Child books! You can read my review here. I know I'm such a kid about these books! But for anyone who has come to know Pendergast, this book is gaspingly great! I had to make up that word "gaspingly" because I was literally gasping my way through it!:(

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Brimstone today. Allthough I found the middle part a bit slow, it proved to be a good read after all. It took me almost four weeks to finish this one :(. The funny thing is that I experienced the same with their earlier book Still life with Crows. I might be experiencing a little P&C overdose at the moment, but still wish to finish the entire Pendergast series. Dance of Death is pretty high on my TBR pile at the moment.

Currently finishing up Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I hope to finish this by the end of this week.

Brimstone and Still Life With Crows both left me with unanswered questions. Fortunately, the questions at the end of Brimstone are answered in Dance of Death, but I have yet to find out what struck Pendergast so forcibly at the end of Still Life With Crows. I even e-mailed the authors to see if I could get an answer, but they never gave me the info. I'm hoping the issue gets addressed in the future!:(

I finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill yesterday. For those of you who don't know this book, it's the story of a former rockstar who seems to purchase a ghost on the internet. It turns out rather soon that this ghost has some unfinished business with him. Pretty soon the rockstar and his groupie are fighting for their lives and searching for a way to stop this ghost.

It was a fast read for me and one I rather enjoyed. However, there were some things I would find irritating in the book, especially in the scenes where the ghost would threaten his victims by using television programs or phone calls. Knowing that the writer is in fact Stephen Kings son, these particular scenes reminded me too much of Stephen Kings novels (like Tommyknockers and It).

But when you're in for a good old-fashioned ghost story, this is the one you should read.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finished Ghostlight by Marion Zimmer Bradley, probably my last read for 2007.

Ghostlight is the first part in aseries about Truth Blackburn. In this part Truth starts to look into the past of her father. In the late Sixties her father was a sort of prophet, who gathered around himself a cult of people (including Truths mother). This cult tried to perform some sort of ritual which was meant to open the gates to the other world (that of the Gods and the Sidhe). Unfortunately things didn''t work out as planned and Truths mother was killed and her father dissapeared. Truth, who has spent her whole life hating her father for the loss of her mother finds herself at the estate of her father, where she meets a whole new group of people, that are preparing the same rituals that killed her mother. The big question is will she join them or stop them.

I have mixed feelings about this books. At times I would find it fascinating, while at times I had no clue what the writer wanted with this story. I wanted to explore the Fantasy genre, and having read Marion Zimmer Bradleys Beyond the Mist of Avalon and The Firebrand in the past, I thougt this was a safe choice to begin this new genre. I do intend to read the other parts of this series as well in the near future.

But right now I have returned to my favorite genre, the thriller, and started reading The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen.

I finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill yesterday. For those of you who don't know this book, it's the story of a former rockstar who seems to purchase a ghost on the internet. It turns out rather soon that this ghost has some unfinished business with him. Pretty soon the rockstar and his groupie are fighting for their lives and searching for a way to stop this ghost.

It was a fast read for me and one I rather enjoyed. However, there were some things I would find irritating in the book, especially in the scenes where the ghost would threaten his victims by using television programs or phone calls. Knowing that the writer is in fact Stephen Kings son, these particular scenes reminded me too much of Stephen Kings novels (like Tommyknockers and It).

But when you're in for a good old-fashioned ghost story, this is the one you should read.

It's good to hear you enoyed this - I bought my daughter his short stories for Christmas which I hope she'll enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finished my first book for 2008: The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen. This book is a sequel to The Surgeon which I have read early last year. It is about a female police officer who has put the serial killer The Surgeon behind bars. Then, one year later, there are some new killings which are similar to the MO of the Surgeon. A new killer is on the loose and to make matters worse, the Surgeon managed to escape from prison and he has some unfinished business.

It did take me some time to get into this book, but once I was half way, it finally picked up some speed. And it made me realise that although I only finished her earlier book a year ago, I didn't remember much of it.

Right now I'm going to continue reading Out. I have already started this book Januari 1st and I am somewhere round page 200 at this moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really getting into Out by Natsuo Kirino at the moment. I haven't figured out just yet what the problem is, I think it is just to depressing and there isn't one character that I can relate to. I'm hanging in there, but in the meantime am now reading The Devil's Footsteps by E.E. Richardson. I love this book. It is actually a horror book for teens, but it is very entertaining. Occasionally it reminds me of my all time favorite Stephen King novel It. I hope to finish it tomorrow, and then I probably will continue Out so I can look into the discussion and see if I am the only one who has trouble with it.

I definitely gave up on Out. It started to feel like a chore and there was nu fun in it anymore.

I did love The Devil's Footsteps by E.E. Richardson, which I finished two days ago. It is the story of Bryan, whose brother was taken by the Dark Man after they had discovered a secret pathway in the woods, which is mentioned in some sort of skipping tune. Bryan has spent five years feeling guilty about this until he meets two other boys. They come to realise that there are a lot of children missing in there town and start to investigate what has happened.

This book is a horror book meant for teens. I wish there had been books like these when I was young :welcome:. I maybe would'nt have had the urge at an early age to start reading adult books. I think it is the kind of books that even grown-ups will like. It has been my best read in ages.