Food - Part Two!

Michelle

Oh, Maureen, almost forgot to answer your question. My favorite thing to serve with cornbread is chili. Although it's really good with beef or lamb stew.

If you have leftovers you can heat some milk up the next morning and pour it over a square of the cornbread and it makes a nice substitute for breakfast cereal.

Oh. Sorry.

Pierogi dumplings (which are sort of half-way between ravioli and dumpling). Golonka pork knuckle. Golabki stuffed cabbage leaves. Bigos pork and cabbage stew. Kielbasa, smoked grilled sausage. Zurek, fermented buckwheat soup. Barsch betroot soup. Smoked cheeses, grilled.

Basically, very heavy on the meat and cabbage, and then some potato.

Ate one meal in a Jewish restaurant in the old Jewish quarter of Krakow and had the most fantastic piece of carp, which was flavoured with something, although I don't know what.

Well, they served a Xmas dinner in the staff restaurant today (they'll be doing it again tomorrow too), so I'm full of turkey & cranberry sauce, skirlie & roast potatoes, roast parsnips & carrots (I skipped the pig in a blanket). I even chanced a taste of the clootie dumpling with rum sauce, but the pud was dry & the sauce was lumpy, so rather disappointing. Ah well, the main course was nice enough,. I think I might give the vegetarian option a try tomorrow - they've got these lovely looking little mushroom tartlets topped with potato rosti...

Has anyone else been served the traditional Xmas dinner at work yet? Our official office lunch is supposed to be this Thrusday coming, but I don't think anything's been finalised, so I haven't a clue if it's actually going ahead!

I don't get coffee or even water at important meetings even if they are arranged in the lunch hour (whatever that is !) ........but it is the NHS so I should consider myself lucky to sit down let alone think of eating uninterrupted - but that's a different story!!

What is skirlie??????? :coffee:

I found this basic recipe for skirlie:

Ingredients

4 oz fat or 4 tablespoons of oil (traditionally a good flavoured dripping or beef suet would have been used)

2 onions, finely chopped

1/4 pint chicken stock

8 oz medium oatmeal, lightly toasted

Salt and pepper to season

Directions

Melt the fat or heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook until soft and golden. Add the oatmeal and mix in well. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the stock and allow it to be absorbed by the oatmeal. Seaon well and serve with light creamy mashed potatoes.

Skirlie may also be used as a stuffing for any kind of game bird or poultry. It is also a very good accompaniment to rich meaty and gamy stews.

(You can use butter or olive oil in place of the dripping or suet, but it's not as nice made with oil. It's also nice if you bake it in the oven for a while till it gets a nice toasted, crispy crust on top...)

Well, yesterday's team Xmas lunch wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Every other Xmas lunch I've been to, you go somewhere that has a special festive menu & decoration (complete with crackers to pull) & you take the whole afternoon off. Not so here - we went to a tiny little place ina back street which had no festive ambience, no crackers, no special menu. THere was a choice of soup or sandwiches/paninis. The only concession to the season was the offer of mulled wine, which we declined because we had to go back to the office afterwards!

I feel like I've been conned a bit here!

• 1 month later...

I ate a huge amount of "Krustini", and am now feeling like a complete pig.

(these are traditional hard biscuits with whole almonds which are not sweet, some people dunk them in tea)

They are really nice - and because they are not sweet, you do not end up with that queasy feeling after you eat too much of them.

Rice is probably the world's single most important foodstuff. It is consumed over two billion people as their staple diet. Cultivation originally started in India and progressed towards the West, mostly into Spain and Italy. In fact, these two countries have the widest repertoire of rice dishes, Paella and risottos respectively.

Rice can be divided into two main types; long grain and short grain. With regards to its nutritional value, you can calculate 103 calories per half-cup of white rice and 108 calories per half-cup of brown rice. It's cholesterol free, fat free and also is gluten free. It is however packed with complex carbohydrates.

Jo - read how good for you it is!

That would be great Maureen - it's half term next week and Thomas has already stated that he wants to do some cooking!

Angel - have popped the recipie in the other thread. Hope Thomas has fun. Here half term is at the end of the month - maybe I could do the same. I will let you try it out with Thomas first, and you can let me know the amount of damages we are talking about.