sci-fi suggestions

Renius

• 2 months later...

When I think of all the books I have read in the past it strikes me I have never read a science fiction book. Any recommendations as to a good author etc.

Where is a good place to start. BTW not too keen on Harry Potter.....

Davo, can I please suggest that you try doing a quick search before starting a new thread. Having information together, rather in many separate threads makes it much easier for future readers. :readingtwo:

Will do. Sorry for the hassle ;)

When I think of all the books I have read in the past it strikes me I have never read a science fiction book. Any recommendations as to a good author etc.

Where is a good place to start. BTW not too keen on Harry Potter.....

As before, it depends what you're after. Do you like the idea of alternate histories - an equivalent of Roth's Plot Against America? If so. Philip Dick's The Man In The High Castle might be the thing

Are you after fractured identities clattering around increasingly insane fractured society? Then perhaps any of JG Ballard, particularly the mid-70s stuff like Concrete Island could be a place to go.

If your thing is going to be Matrix-like cyberpunk, then it's William Gibson and Cryptonomicron you're probably after.

And if you want a modern take on folks flying spaceships and blasting aliens, then perhaps Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card?

And then there's the "traditional" stuff. But a lot of that seems a little tired and wet these days.

• 2 months later...