Do you use a dictionary?

Guest ii

I did Latin at school and that has been very useful over the years for working out the roots. Bring back Latin I say!! :welcome:

I wanted to study Latin at school, but there were only 3 of us in the entire school of 800 pupils who wanted to do it, so they refused to bring in sa teacher for it. :006:

I love seeing the origins of words though - dictionaries are great that way too.

Even knowledge of modern languages can be handy for working out definitions - I've certainly been delving into that knowledge for the word game on FreeRice (see other thread) - it's compulsive.

• 3 months later...

I have a notebook which I always keep beside me when I read. Whenever there are any words I come across that I don't know the meaning of, I write them down and look them up later. I also write down any words that I find beautiful, so that one day I can use them in stories of my own.

Jim

I have a notebook which I always keep beside me when I read. Whenever there are any words I come across that I don't know the meaning of, I write them down and look them up later. I also write down any words that I find beautiful, so that one day I can use them in stories of my own.

Jim

I have started doing that. It's made me realise how quickly I forget the meaning of a new word I've learned. I've taken to writing down the meaning too now!