Another question... "We read to know we are not alone"

Spooncat

I think its true in several senses. I often find reading very companionable. Your surrounded by characters at least. Your often confronted by people encountering obstacles and situations you may have faced in your own life or be facing right now. That can help you feel less alone in a very real sense. Also when you read a book often you are connecting in a sometimes very deep way with another human being, the author of that book.

People like to find companions in life, and they can often find them in books. I like to find characters that have certain traits that I can identify with, and if a writer hits on a feeling or an experience that I had thought only I knew, it makes me feel like I'm not alone in the world.

People like to find companions in life, and they can often find them in books. I like to find characters that have certain traits that I can identify with, and if a writer hits on a feeling or an experience that I had thought only I knew, it makes me feel like I'm not alone in the world.

I couldn't agree more :lol:

I think the reason some books/characters are better than others is because they are universal.

Hamlet's angst.

King Lear's arrogance and subsequent agony.

Elizabeth Bennet's quick judgement and Darcy's pride.

Tom Sawyer's spirit of adventure.

Even the folly of Anna Karenina.

In all the great books is a glimpse of the human condition. Even the not so great books. In that way, we are not alone ever.

I think it is very true. Some people genuinely want isolation in their lives but the basic need. urge if you will is there to reach out for someone.

Hope that makes sense. x

Well said Echo! It's comforting to know that I'm not some sort of outsider - that there are other people with the same anxieties and fears as myself. Also, I lead a pretty trouble-free life so reading about the dramas and problems of other people (even if fictionalised) gives me a greater appreciation for my own life.

I think the reason some books/characters are better than others is because they are universal.

Hamlet's angst.

King Lear's arrogance and subsequent agony.

Elizabeth Bennet's quick judgement and Darcy's pride.

Tom Sawyer's spirit of adventure.

Even the folly of Anna Karenina.

In all the great books is a glimpse of the human condition.

And not only are they universal, but they're timeless as well. All of these examples are books that were published well over 100 years ago. The world has changed so much since then, but that does nothing to diminish the powerful observations of human nature contained in these classics. The fact that they haven't dated shows how truly wonderful these books are. Their messages are timeless.

Also, I lead a pretty trouble-free life so reading about the dramas and problems of other people (even if fictionalised) gives me a greater appreciation for my own life.

I also agree with this. My life is pretty damn good. Reading about all the different things just makes you realize whats out there and how lucky you really are.

In all the great books is a glimpse of the human condition. Even the not so great books. In that way, we are not alone ever.

Of course, they were written by humans, (weren't they:lol:)

And not only are they universal, but they're timeless as well. All of these examples are books that were published well over 100 years ago. The world has changed so much since then, but that does nothing to diminish the powerful observations of human nature contained in these classics. The fact that they haven't dated shows how truly wonderful these books are. Their messages are timeless.

That is because human nature has never changed.

Fish and chips, you had a good answer there. I particularly liked your bit about relating to things that are going on in your life. Books that have been special to me have been so because I have related to the character or situation (for instance when I read Susan Howatch's The Heartbreaker I had a great need for healing) or because I have felt a strong relationship with the author through the way they write (as in Dave Pelzer's books). Maybe the reason I love fantasy so much is because it takes you into another world where you are anything but alone. I always felt alone until recent years and fantasy provided a loving, welcome escape for me during that time.

Edited by Icecream

• 1 year later...

I think what appeals to me so much about books is this:

With a book, an author is given a blank canvas upon which they can create ANYTHING. Absolutely anything, and many in my preferred genres (fantasy/sci-fi/supernatural) these things include things beyond the creation of nature itself in reality.

Like Oscar Wilde said in A Picture Of Dorian Gray, a portrait is a painting not of the sitter, but of the artist, one may pour 'too much of one's own soul' into it.

The same applies to me in books. If you can find something you also see yourself in, within the boundless limits of essentially another person's imagination, it will give you a feeling of connection with someone or something outside yourself.

/ramble.