What is your favourite children/young adult fiction?

haniirani

I would be interested to know what is your favourite young adult/children book. So please share with us. :lol:

The most memorable book for me is this :

Caught on a Train by Carlo Gebler

I read it a few years ago, (or is it a few more years back?? my memory's playing tricks!) and it totally enchanted me with its bizarre, magical stories. It has 3 short stories captured in one main story. It's about a 14 year old boy who experience the most extraordinary train journey across Ireland. Unusually, there are only 3 passengers that day and he is supposed to judge which of the three tells the best story. So commence the Irish fairy and folk tales storytelling which includes visiting the seabed, visiting the moon on an eagle's back. Hope that gives you an idea of the book.

All I know now is that just writing this has spurred a desire to revisit this book again! But let it wait. Because I have 8 more books waiting!

Hiya. You can edit your posts once you've made ten of them. but I went ahead and took out the image code and replaced it with a text link to the book on Amazon.

Looks like an interesting book.

I loved The Chronicles of Narnia from a very young age, right through my teens and into adulthood. I also used to read Judy Blume books in my early teens and also those Point Horror books (by various authors).

Other than that, I think I missed out on the young adult section when I was actually a young adult, as I tended to read things like Animal Farms and Of Mice and Men. Nowadays, though, I can hardly get enough of them. I particularly liked Witch Child and Sorceress by Celia Rees, which I read a couple of years ago. I also adored The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick.

I was also lucky enough to be a reviewer for CBUK while it was open and was sent many excellent young adult books including:

Endymion Spring by Matthew Skelton

Ithaka by Adele Gera

Set in Stone by Linda Newbury

The Medici Seal by Theresa Breslin

The Rainbow Bridge by Aubrey Flegg

Orphan of the Sun by Gill Harvey

Bad Kitty by Michele Jaffe

The Mob by Clem Martini

Captives by Tom Pow

Death and the Arrow by Chris Priestley

The White Rider by Chris Priestley

Red Wulf's Curse by Chris Priestley

The Cleopatra Curse by Cleo Roberts

Plague Sorcerer by Christopher Russell

Wolf Girl by Theresa Tomlinson

I can also highly recommend the entire The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell.

I'm quite often to be found with a book that's aimed for the young adult market - there's such marvellous choice!

A friend recommended Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull. I really liked it a lot -- it's a very imaginative fantasy book, with enough suspense and scary bits to keep your attention. There was definitely a part that I had to read through covered up eyes while holding my breath.

I have also enjoyed the Golden Compass books, by Philip Pullman.

And the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, by Ann Brasheres, although I just tried an adult novel of hers and had a really hard time getting through it.

And there's also a series by Louise Rennison, starting with Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging, that a girlfriend and I giggled over recently.

Hope I got all the Amazon links in the right places!:D

Definitely the Tomorrow series by John Marsden.

From Wikipedia (page contains spoilers):

The Tomorrow series is a series of invasion novels written by Australian author John Marsden, detailing a high-intensity invasion and occupation of Australia by a foreign power. The novels are told in first person perspective by the main character, a teenage girl named Ellie Linton, who is part of a small band of teenagers waging a guerilla war on the enemy garrison in their fictional home town of Wirrawee.

I cannot recommend these books highly enough. John Marsden makes the situations and events seem unbelievably real and possible, and his ability to accurately portray the minds and relationships of teenagers is uncanny. I would love to see these books made into movies. They're just unbelievable, and I re-read the series (10 books) at least once every 2 years. Just as enjoyable for adults as they are for younger readers.

And the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, by Ann Brasheres, although I just tried an adult novel of hers and had a really hard time getting through it.

I'll have to add this to my TBR pile. I saw the movie a few years ago, while stuck on a plane, and really enjoyed it. I didn't know there was a book out, so now I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

"Rats Saw God" (Rob Thomas), not only the best YA book I've read in a long time (and now tied for best ever IMO, with "Girl" by Blake Nelson, which I read and loved in high school, and have loved ever since), but possibly one of my all time favourites. Everything about this book is sharp and witty, from the characterisation to the dialogue. The pacing is just right, the characters and the banter is realistic...

• 10 months later...

Allan Frewin Jones - The mole and Beverly Miller

Myron Levoy - Three Friends

Anonymous - Go ask Alice

Chris Crutcher - Staying fat for Sarah Byrnes

Eve Bunting - If I asked you would you stay

those are my all time favourite books, I got them when I was about 13 and re read them over and over.

Since this year I totally love the fantasy books of KAI MEYER, a german author. Two of his trilogies are available in english, I know for sure. Really great!!!

A trilogy by Stephen Bowkett called Ice, Storm and Thaw. They're set in a distant future after another ice age and begin with the hero's escape from a restrictive city ruled by a tyrannical artificial intelligence. Oh, I can't really explain it well, but they're very good!

I also love Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and almost anything by NM Browne.

I have a whole bookcase upstairs filled with older children's/young adult books - I love reading them. There's so much excellent stuff around now for kids.

A trilogy by Stephen Bowkett called Ice, Storm and Thaw. They're set in a distant future after another ice age and begin with the hero's escape from a restrictive city ruled by a tyrannical artificial intelligence. Oh, I can't really explain it well, but they're very good!

Well, you've sold me! They sound very good. I'll have to keep an eye out for them :)

Groosham Grange & it's sequel are great, both written by Antony Horowitz, the author of the Alex Ryder books (Stormbreaker etc.)

Also Alice's Adventures In Wonderland & Through The Looking Glass are wonderful, and you can get some really lovely editions which make for amazing presents for young readers, my lovely hardback version that has them both in is one of the only books that I still have from when I was little and I would be devestated if anything happened to it:blush:

Well, you've sold me! They sound very good. I'll have to keep an eye out for them :irked:

You're welcome Kylie! :D I must get around to buying the Tomorrow When the War Began series, because you keep recommending them and they sound really good.

i mostly read books for children, so it's hard to choose. off the top of my head, i'll have to go with eleven by lauren myracle, the steps by rachel cohn, dave at night and ella enchanted by gail carson levine, the thief by megan whalen turner, the prydain chronicles by lloyd alexander, and the vivien leigh series by a couple of writers whose names i have yet to commit to memory.

i can probably come up with several more titles if i were to read through the list of books that i've read (yes, i do keep that kind of lists).

(where the heck is the edit button??)

i just want to mention that while i liked the first book in the his dark materials by philip pullman, i can't say the same for the other two books. which reminds me: pullman wrote the scarecrow and his servant, which i found very cute and amusing. read it!

Edited by Maureen

Please go along and take a look at the Announcements section, as it contains lots of useful information. There is a FAQ, plus a post for new members.. both will explain to you that you are limited until you have 10 posts.. and that includes being able to edit your own posts.

The rules also ask you to use some capital letters, especially for book titles etc etc

Thanks!

As a young girl I loved The Famous Five Series, ...)

I read loads of them when I was young too. Also 'Little House on the Prairie' series too. Always thought it would make a fgreat TV series and was thrilled when it actually happened. Bit of a while ago now though...lol :D

For me it has to be The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall. I was mostly into fantasy and science fiction rather than novels about war, but this book had a really big impact on me as a child.