Can you resist buying in a bookshop?

DH actually won't let me go into a bookshop if I'm with him simply because I always end up spending money. Sometimes I sneak into one when he's not with me, but it is SOOO hard to resist those lovely new books!

Actually, I've ended up reading some excellent books that way, but it's still a breach of the book embargo and I have to smuggle them into the house so Dale doesn't see them!

Hmm, my DH is called Dale, and I have to sneak books into the house. Are we both with the same person?!! :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like libraries. Something about reading someone elses book. I don't like it. I would rather buy the book and finish it when I want to finish it. Plus the library fees are crazy.

I just like to buy the books. Its like my own library and I like collecting books. Some people collect movies or CDs, I collect books. So when I'm in the book store and as I said before I usually leave with around 4, I consider it adding to my collection :)

I feel that way too, but I cannot afford new books at the moment so the library is great, plus I like taking Katie to choose her own books and I take her to the baby groups too.

Hmm, my DH is called Dale, and I have to sneak books into the house. Are we both with the same person?!! :D

Dale claims I'm the only wife he has, so unless he suddenly got VERY good at lying, I'm inclined to think we just happened to end up with guys who have the same name and a similar attitude to the book-buying habits of the women in their lives. :)

I feel that way too, but I cannot afford new books at the moment so the library is great, plus I like taking Katie to choose her own books and I take her to the baby groups too.

Must admit the only books I get out of the library are for my son.

Dale claims I'm the only wife he has, so unless he suddenly got VERY good at lying, I'm inclined to think we just happened to end up with guys who have the same name and a similar attitude to the book-buying habits of the women in their lives. :lol:

LOL!!!!!

I have lately been very good at leaving bookshops without books. At one point I had to stop getting books by any means until my TBR pile had significantly decreased. I do allow myself the odd book now and again but I find buying brand new and hardback, especially, a bit expensive if I have no intention of keeping them.

It's hard re-training yourself but I think I'm getting better. :lol:

Guest fireball
I have such a huge pile of books to be read, but sometimes I just get such an urge to go book shopping. I am so addicted :D

OH! I quite agree Adam when the urge is upon us...we're AWAY...

thank God for THAT !

These days I tend to be able to walk out of a book shop without buying anything. That never used to be the case but I have become rather a tightwad so I refuse to buy new, full price books.

Get me in a charity shop and that's another matter, I consider it my duty to buy something!

I'm the same in the library, I currently have a pile of books on loan, I take 2-3 back and take yet more out. It's never-ending!

• 3 weeks later...

The only sure fire way I dont come out of a book shop or charity shop without a book, is to take my husband with me lol:D. He always reminds me how many books we have to read "we dont need any more" is his by line. On my own or with my daughter or friends its a sure thing I will find some I fancy

In any bookshop I can always find something I want, usually something I really want. It would be lovely to say that I never leave empty handed but I have no money at all at the moment to spend on myself as it all goes on my bills. I even have to think twice about buying in charity shops!

However, when I was more well off I did buy at least one book a week and always found something I wanted in a bookshop.

• 1 year later...