American pancakes & your breakfast?

good luck with your biscuits poppy. here's hoping they do not come out lumpy and rock hard :) I'm a horriable cook

Well the biscuits came out fine, I added some chopped onion, cheese, bacon and herbs, but the gravy ........is it really supposed to resemble white tasteless glue? I fed the rest to my chickens and even they just took a quick peck, squawked and went off to wipe their beaks. I think I'll stick to home-made gravy :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the biscuits came out fine, I added some chopped onion, cheese, bacon and herbs, but the gravy ........is it really supposed to resemble white tasteless glue? I fed the rest to my chickens and even they just took a quick peck, squawked and went off to wipe their beaks. I think I'll stick to home-made gravy :D

LOL, can't teach a woman anything. :):roll:

Well the biscuits came out fine, I added some chopped onion, cheese, bacon and herbs, but the gravy ........is it really supposed to resemble white tasteless glue? I fed the rest to my chickens and even they just took a quick peck, squawked and went off to wipe their beaks. I think I'll stick to home-made gravy :)

Not really, I made some increadably "sexy" gravy the other night, just add a little more milk to thin it, light on the salt, heavy on the pepper. Just keep trying, but I did make my gravy from scratch. First time trying, and it came out awsome!:D

Well done Megan. We don't put milk in gravy, I'll have to try that. I'm OK at making gravy from scratch, but this was a packet of Biscuit Gravy Mix that my American sister-in-law had given me. I was asking Muggle what you could do with it, but OH has told me in no uncertain terms what I can do with it, so it now resides in the rubbish bin :D

Just good old fashioned American pancakes:

1 3/4 cup unsifted all purpose flour

1/4 cup fine cornmeal

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

3 tbls sugar

3 tbls butter (melted)

1 tbls canola oil

2 large eggs (or egg beaters)

1/2 tsp vanilla

11/3 cup buttermilk

Mix all dry ingredients together.

Mix melted butter, oil, eggs, and vanilla together.

Blend in buttermilk with the "wet" ingredients.

Mix dry and wet ingredients together.

Coat griddle with a little olive oil and cook pancakes until done.

Serve with pure maple syrup, if available.

OK Muggles, I accept that's what you THINK pancakes are, and very nice they sound too. And I promise to try your recipe as soon as I can get some cornmeal.

Now you've gotta promise to try a REAL pancake recipe.

REAL Pancakes

4 ozs flour

pinch salt

1 tsp baking powder

2 eggs

approx 1/2 pint milk

Sift flour and salt. Add eggs and milk, beat well, gently stir in baking powder. Make the mix pretty thin, like runny cream. Pour into jug.

Heat a heavy frying pan and melt some butter in it. Pour in enough mixture that will coat the whole bottom thinly, when you tilt it all round. Flip over when cooked and cook the other side.

Sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice and a knob of butter. Roll up and devour :) (I'll even let you have them with maple syrup, but you've gotta try the lemon juice and sugar first.) Watch for indigestion :readingtwo:

OK Muggles, I accept that's what you THINK pancakes are, and very nice they sound too. And I promise to try your recipe as soon as I can get some cornmeal.

Now you've gotta promise to try a REAL pancake recipe.

REAL Pancakes

4 ozs flour

pinch salt

1 tsp baking powder

2 eggs

approx 1/2 pint milk

Sift flour and salt. Add eggs and milk, beat well, gently stir in baking powder. Make the mix pretty thin, like runny cream. Pour into jug.

Heat a heavy frying pan and melt some butter in it. Pour in enough mixture that will coat the whole bottom thinly, when you tilt it all round. Flip over when cooked and cook the other side.

Sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice and a knob of butter. Roll up and devour :) (I'll even let you have them with maple syrup, but you've gotta try the lemon juice and sugar first.) Watch for indigestion :readingtwo:

Cast Iron or non-stick frying pan. How many pancakes does it make.

Okay... to break up those two before they get into a fight about proper definition of pancakes (I grew up with both, so I'm pulling Switzerland here, one was called simply 'pancakes' and the other 'magic pancakes') I'm going to get us back to topic. Which is breakfast.

So.... for my, er.. breakfast? brunch? lunch? oh, who cares, I just got up, so it's still breakfast! I am having coffee with soy milk and a smoothie of wheet yoghurt, banana and rasberries.

Muggle, bought me some cornmeal yesterday, so I'm going to give your pancakes a crack over the weekend. Forgot the maple syrup :D and don't have buttermilk but I think ordinary milk will be much the same, don't you ?

Milk will be ok but buttermilk makes them fluffier and tastier, but you are pretty close. make sure you pay attention to the recipe this time. ;):)

Muggle's Good Old-fashioned American Pancakes

The cornmeal gives these a really nice flavour. My mixture was much too thick (probably because I was using metric rather than imperial measures) so I thinned it down quite a bit. I'm going to make them again when I buy some maple syrup. They are quite similar to our pikelet recipe. Have you tried these?

Pikelets

1 egg

1/4 c sugar

3/4 c milk (approx)

1 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 oz butter

Beat egg and sugar until thick and add with milk to sifted dry ingredients. Add melted butter. Mix until smooth, cook in spoonfuls on hot greased girdle or frying pan. When cooked, stack in folded tea-towel (this keeps them from going dry and tough) Serve with jam and whipped cream.

Muggle's Good Old-fashioned American Pancakes

The cornmeal gives these a really nice flavour. My mixture was much too thick (probably because I was using metric rather than imperial measures) so I thinned it down quite a bit. I'm going to make them again when I buy some maple syrup. They are quite similar to our pikelet recipe. Have you tried these?

Pikelets

1 egg

1/4 c sugar

3/4 c milk (approx)

1 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 oz butter

Beat egg and sugar until thick and add with milk to sifted dry ingredients. Add melted butter. Mix until smooth, cook in spoonfuls on hot greased girdle or frying pan. When cooked, stack in folded tea-towel (this keeps them from going dry and tough) Serve with jam and whipped cream.

They really, really, need to be eaten with butter and maple syrup. If you can get buttermilk it will also improve them.

I will save the Pikelet recipe and give them a try. Wonder how they would be with buttermilk instead of regular milk. :D

Metric or Imperial? ;)

I will save the Pikelet recipe and give them a try. Wonder how they would be with buttermilk instead of regular milk. ;)

Metric or Imperial? :)

I think they would be fine with buttermilk, I quite often add water to the milk because it seems to make things lighter.

I don't think it really matters if you use metric or imperial, just make a mixture that will pour (but not TOO thin.) They are not as thick as your pancakes (no slur on pancakes intelligence :D)

You could have these with maple syrup if you liked, but they are nice with just butter (simply delicious with any kind of berry jam and whipped cream.)