American pancakes & your breakfast?

When you eat the grits you should use some maple syrup mixed in with them. They are very good that way.

Maybe that was the problem. Mine were just pretty plain. I think it had a little butter in there, not to mention It was served in Waffle House.

This morning I was very naughty and had a cream cake for breakfast!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe that was the problem. Mine were just pretty plain. I think it had a little butter in there, not to mention It was served in Waffle House.

This morning I was very naughty and had a cream cake for breakfast!

Grits are good with plenty of butter! Usually I don't salt my food too much, but I do salt grits, and some cheese is delicious melted into it.

I wouldn't care for the syrup...too sweet for me.

I have a wheat free diet so pancakes and toast are off the menu for me, except when I travel and take wheat free bread with me (it is a very expensive treat). Most cereals are off the menu as well, since they are also wheat based.

I tend to have things like millet or oat flakes then with rice milk or sometimes just fruit and yoghurt.

June

• 2 months later...

Post #37 already explains ;) :

UK pancakes are large round thin, sprinked with lemon and sugar and rthen rolled up. Although you use other things the lemon and sugar are traditional and is what most people would use. UK pancakes are very similar to, and in fact basically are, crepes. American pancakes are smaller and more like cakes in texture. When I first tasted them my reaction was "it tastes like a cake more than a pancake" I have to say I prefer the European ones BUT the American ones are very nice and I like to have them as a change.

Please Muggle explain to me what "grits" are? I have never fathomed that out. ;)

See Maureen's post...........Grits are Heaven :( I especially like them baked with cheese (after cooking them the regular way).

Even though pontalba doesn't like them with Maple Syrup I think they are great that way, just a wee bit of maple though. :)

from a dictionary

Quote:

US coarsely ground maize: coarsely ground hulled maize that is boiled and eaten hot with butter, especially at breakfast in the southern United States (takes a singular or plural verb)

I've always wondered what grits were too (along with Ranch Dressing ;) ). Thought it was some sort of fried thing. Muggle, I've just been given a large packet of Old Fashioned Biscuit Gravy Mix from the US. It's got instructions of how to make it but I have no idea what to make with it. I understand your biscuits are like our scones, but scones with gravy sounds kinda wierd.

I've always wondered what grits were too (along with Ranch Dressing ;) ). Thought it was some sort of fried thing. Muggle, I've just been given a large packet of Old Fashioned Biscuit Gravy Mix from the US. It's got instructions of how to make it but I have no idea what to make with it. I understand your biscuits are like our scones, but scones with gravy sounds kinda wierd.

Let me think on that one and get back to you.

I love cheesy grits but I also put some extra seasonings in it and add some salsa to it. It give's it a little bit of a zing that I love. If you don't want to try biscuts and gravy I love making hashbrowns and gravy with lots of pepper.

:censored:errr...just in case.....hashbrowns are shredded potatoes fried in a skillet with a little bit of cooking oil.

What megan said, you could use it in hashbrown potatoes. Or a thcik slice of toast.......but why not make some biscuits and use it on them. ;)

When I was working for a living I traveled a lot. When in Missouri I would sometimes have Biscuits with Gravy, scrambled eggs, and pork chops for breakfast. Missouri was known for their pork chops and they were usually on the breakfast menu.

Thanks Megan and Muggles. I'm going to give it a go and I'll let you know the results ;)

What would be your biscuit recipe?

Ours is:

3 cups flour

3 tsp baking powder

pinch salt

100 gm (4 oz ) butter

milk to mix

I usually just grate cold butter into the siffted flour and baking powder and mix it in with a knife. Add plenty of milk to make a very soft dough, mix it very quickly, cut it into pieces and wack it into a preheated oven 200

(we call them scones and they are traditionally served with jam and whipped cream)

Yum! Oh how I love scones with jam and cream ;) If we're eating out at breakfast I'll frequently order scones and not be able to get through them (usually only get two but they're so filling!) I would like to try making my own one day. I might use your recipe, Poppy, thanks!

Biscuits

2 cups sifted flour

2 tsp. baking powder

4 tablespoons butter or shortening

1/2 tsp. salt

about 3/4 cup milk

actually, Buttermilk biscuits are much better but they use Crisco shortening and it isn't very good for you. ;)

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

5 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening

1 cup buttermilk

Well that looks basically the same recipe. I'm sure you can get buttermilk in NZ but it is not something that we generally use.

Biscuits and gravy here we come ;) Though it's a bit hot at the moment, it's mainly salad weather.

Go For It!!

Thanks Megan and Muggles. I'm going to give it a go and I'll let you know the results ;)

What would be your biscuit recipe?

:D:lol::) Biscuit recipe??? How about the ones out of the can that you just throw in a pan and shove them in the oven? I'm pretty simple.