Chicken Soup recipe needed please

Spooncat

I made chicken soup on Saturday! I did it in the slow cooker but you could use a saucepan on simmer.

We had chicken on Friday so I put the carcass in the slow cooker with a chopped up onion, swede, carrot and a bayleaf. Salt and pepper it and then cover the mixture with water.

I left it on slow all night, but if simmering I guess you'd cover it and simmer on the lowest keep possible for a few hours, making sure it didn't boil dry.

Then I let it cool and sieved it. Picked all the bones out and binned them - put the meat and veggies back in and whizzed it in a blender.

It was lush! :lol:

I don't have exact measurements, but I usually use a couple of chicken carcasses from roast chicken, put them in a huge pot (if the carcasses are raw, I like to roast them til browned - gives the soup a nice colour, and more flavour). Cover with plenty of water, maybe an onion and a carrot or two, possibly a sprig or so of thyme...simmer fairly gently ("just" simmering) for about 45 mins-1 hour or longer (don't simmer too long thought). Chuck in some salt (no pepper at this point). Remove the carcass and the veg.

Let the soup cool, then scoop off the layer of scuzz on top. Now you can add stuff to the soup base to make it into a proper soup. Tbh, I usually just chuck in a few roasted chicken drumsticks in with the carcass at the beginning, then remove the carcass from the pot leaving the meat. Throw in some fresh veg, whatever you like, after the carcass has been removed and the scuzz scraped off, and simmer til cooked.

Here is if you want to make it from scratch without using carcass:

( note, I don't work from a recipe so I have to guess the amounts )

Ingredients

1 large try of chicken thighs

1 or 2 large spanish onion

1 large can creamed corn ( sweet corn will do if you can't get it )

2 large beef tomato

dill

salt and pepper to taste

Method

1) Heat the pan on quiet a high heat till it's smoking a bit, and then add the chicken bits. Fry till it's lightly browned. The high heat will give rise complex flavours.

2) Once chicken is fried put the chicken into a HUGE pot. Slice the onion(s) into quarters and throw it in the pot. Do the same with the tomato. Pour in the can of creamed corn of sweet corn.

( OPTIONAL ) at this point you can add some chilli if you like, i find it's nice but it's not for everybody!

3) add water. This bit needs a bit of practice and judgement because you don't want to add too much or the soup will be too watery and not enough isn't good either. Just cover the chicken with maybe an inch to spare? Anyway, that should be about right but experiement and you will get it right. Cook REALLY slowly with the lid on for around an hour then remove the lid and cook really slowly for till the chicken is falling from the bone. This is about 3 - 4 hours total cooking time. Remember to skim the fat/scum off the top from time to time.

4) take the chicken out and debone it. Place chicken bits into a bowl and scoop liquid into bowls.

• 2 weeks later...