Spooky Halloween read

I always read Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist, and some of Henry James' ghost stories are great, too. I have yet to read any of Poe, but I think this is the year to start.:lol:

You can't go wrong with some of Stephen Kings' early work.
Ah yes, Mr. king is perfect for the spooky season! I also love leafing through my big book of fairytales by the brothers Grimm - wonderfully dark stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fireball

I've mentioned, somewhere, I think on this forum, about 'The Woman In Black'; if I can find it among my 22 odd boxs of books, I just might just give it a re-read. Suitably spooky Halloween read. Errrr I think...looking over his shoulder furtively.:lol::lol:

Guest fireball
You could also try The Moonstone, and/or The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

Or maybe something by J. Sheridan LeFanu.

Kell wrote:

I can highly recommend Carmilla - an excellent Gothic vampire horror

OOOOOOOOOOOH goood choices ladies.

I've mentioned, somewhere, I think on this forum, about 'The Woman In Black'; if I can find it among my 22 odd boxs of books, I just might just give it a re-read. Suitably spooky Halloween read. Errrr I think...looking over his shoulder furtively.:D:lol:

great read,fireball - Susan Hill has a new ghost story out called

'The Man in the Picture' - wonder if it is as scary as 'The Woman in Black'?:lol:

Has anyone read any H.P. Lovecraft? I remember reading some of his short stories many, many years ago and being scared half to death. One story in particular - 'The Rats in the Walls' I think it was called - I recollect being particularly frightening and I was too scared to turn the light out that night.

:lol:

Having said that, I was a mere teenager at the time and perhaps if I re-read the stories I would find them rather tame!!

I always read some of Edgar Allan Poe

I might go with some Edgar Allen Poe too. I bought a book of his complete tales and poems earlier this year but I haven't gotten around to reading any of it yet, despite taking it off my shelf fairly regularly and looking longingly through the pages :lol: Other books keep getting in the way, but now is as good a time as any to get stuck into it!

Do you have any particular favourites that you could recommend to me Kitty? I've pretty much only read The Raven so far (about a million times!)

I might go with some Edgar Allen Poe too. I bought a book of his complete tales and poems earlier this year but I haven't gotten around to reading any of it yet, despite taking it off my shelf fairly regularly and looking longingly through the pages :lol: Other books keep getting in the way, but now is as good a time as any to get stuck into it!

Do you have any particular favourites that you could recommend to me Kitty? I've pretty much only read The Raven so far (about a million times!)

To be honest i just dip into them and read a few every year. I enjoyed:

The pit and the pendulum

The black cat

The fall of the house of usher

The gold bug

I enjoy them all i love his use of language but i do have to concentrate a bit to really enjoy so i love reading a few a year on halloween!!

There is alot of talk about Poe. Has anyone ever read the Poe Shadow? It is a book about the death of Edgar Allen Poe. I don't think its too creepy, but would provide for a good read for the Poe fans. The author is Matthew Pearl. I have read some of his past works and he is an excelent writer.

Here is a link:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/The-Poe-Shadow-A-Novel-Matthew-Pearl/9780812970128-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527The+Poe+Shadow%2527

There is alot of talk about Poe. Has anyone ever read the Poe Shadow? It is a book about the death of Edgar Allen Poe. I don't think its too creepy, but would provide for a good read for the Poe fans. The author is Matthew Pearl. I have read some of his past works and he is an excelent writer.

Here is a link:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/The-Poe-Shadow-A-Novel-Matthew-Pearl/9780812970128-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527The+Poe+Shadow%2527

It's been on my TBR list for ages and I noticed while shelving at work that we've got a copy at our branch.