Cancelled shows VS. shows that run for season after interminable season

Princess Orchid

Futurama

You may be pleased to know that Futurama has just been resurrected for a full 26-episode season on Comedy Central!

All my favourites get cancelled too:

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - two wonderful seasons, then shut off in its prime

There was only one season of this, wasn't there?!

There are loads of shows I've liked that were untimely axed or not renewed. Like others, Firefly is my main bug-bear, but others include Space: Above and Beyond, and a rather brilliant vampire show C4 did many years ago called Ultraviolet.

Sadly, I can now add Primeval to that list as well . . .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, there was only one season of it. There was a big break in the middle of it that made it seem like two seasons (I had to go back and check - LOL!). :)

You may be pleased to know that Futurama has just been resurrected for a full 26-episode season on Comedy Central!

A brand-new season of Futurama is being made? Terrific!

I also loved My So-Called Life, that was one of the best shows that has been on TV.

I love this show!! They showed it only 2 times in germany, once in 1997 and once in 1999. The second time I recorded almost every episode on video and was soooo glad when it came out on dvd a couple of years ago. My videos went partly black and white and stuff.

Futurama but I am happy to hear it is making a return ~ thanks Raven! :)

Strange it was shown on BBC One in 2003 and only lasted one series but it was a great series, I was sorry to see it had been cancelled, it was repeated on the sci~fi channel a few months ago.

:D

I love this show!! They showed it only 2 times in germany, once in 1997 and once in 1999. The second time I recorded almost every episode on video and was soooo glad when it came out on dvd a couple of years ago. My videos went partly black and white and stuff.

I loved this too, I fancied Jared Leto so much!

Hurrah! I can't get Comedy Central, mind, but hurrah anyway! :)

Does anyone remember Babylon 5? Besides me? I love it. But it was cut off to early, and the writer had to shorten the intended story! I was really fed up with this, as the alternative, quick ending was a bit disappointing.

I remember Babylon 5.

It wasn't actually shortened, they didn't know if they were going to get a fifth season so they wrapped up the story in the fourth only to then be told, after they had finished filming, that they were being renewed (they then had to effectively re-start the show for one year, and that didn't really work).

Seasons two to four was very good though.

They have tried to resurrect the B5 franchise a number of times but, so far, without any success.

Hurrah! I can't get Comedy Central, mind, but hurrah anyway! :)

They will be released on DVD, that's how I watch them.

Strange it was shown on BBC One in 2003 and only lasted one series but it was a great series, I was sorry to see it had been cancelled, it was repeated on the sci~fi channel a few months ago.:)

I LOVED this show - it was darker than a lot of similar shows and it was a shame they weren't allowed to continue it as the characters were developing very nicely. I also adore Richard Coyle - yummy!

...and a rather brilliant vampire show C4 did many years ago called Ultraviolet.

I have this on DVD - excellent stuff! And one of the vampires from that show is now playing another vampire on True Blood (he played Jack in Ultraviolet and he plays Bill in True Blood!). Typecast? Nah!

I remember Babylon 5.

It wasn't actually shortened, they didn't know if they were going to get a fifth season so they wrapped up the story in the fourth only to then be told, after they had finished filming, that they were being renewed

Ahh! Well it's a shame. They would still have had to make some adustments to the development of characters and story, which for me was the best bit! I liked, for example the development of G-kar (if thats how you spell his name)

I have watched a few of the films that have been made. I liked them. Not as much as the series, but they were definatly worth watching.

How about Pushing Daisies?

And for all the people that like Dead like me, try Wonderfalls. It's from the same maker and very awesome. And another very good example of shows getting cancelled way too soon (there's only one season)

And has anyone seen The Middleman? Also cancelled after 1 season, but it's still awesome!

I now refuse to watch any new series until I know a 2nd season has been commissioned. I then go back and watch the first season in its entirety (if I like it, that is - if I don't get hooked by the first couple of episodes, I ditch it), as I'm sick of investing my time in shows that disappear as soon as I start to enjoy them! :D

I'm really pleased that The Mentalist, Castle and Lie to Me have been picked up for a 2nd season as they're all brilliant and deserve to have very long, distinguished runs! Of couse, because I like them, they'll disappear either part-way through or after the end of their 2nd season* - it's always the way.:)

* Especially in the case of Castle because it stars Nathan Fillion and his career choices all seem to lead to cancellation. See Buffy (he was in it not long before it finished), Firefly (one season), Drive (taken off air after 4 episodes). He just doeasn't tend to thave the luck, poor guy, and all those shows were awesome!

I'm really pleased that The Mentalist... hasbeen picked up for a 2nd season

So am I! That is great news. It's my favourite programme at the moment. I haven't heard of Castle or Lie to Me, I'll have to go and look them up.

And Nathan Fillion does seem to have a bit of a jinx about him! (I just have to mention that his death in Buffy was one of the most apt, deserved deaths I've ever seen. I'm sure all the guys watching must have had tears in their eyes.)

Count me in for The Mentalist too! I love that show and its cast - especially Mr. Baker :she:.

I'm going to have to see if I can get Ultraviolet here on Netflix. I love Bill in True Blood and I'm always in the mood for another vampire show! Speaking of vampires, was the old show called Forever Knight ever aired in Europe? I think it was on here in the mid-nineties and I've been watching some of the old episodes lately. They are very cheesy in the special efx department, but a good story overall.

How about Pushing Daisies?

And for all the people that like Dead like me, try Wonderfalls. It's from the same maker and very awesome. And another very good example of shows getting cancelled way too soon (there's only one season)

And has anyone seen The Middleman? Also cancelled after 1 season, but it's still awesome!

I'd never heard of Wonderfalls until we went to the States last year. Our friends over there had got the first (and only) season DVD - we only watched a couple of episodes, but I thought it was great.

Brooklyn South was a great show which was cancelled. And for the life of me, I can't understand why Grey's Anatomy with it's far-fetched storylines and musical beds scenarios is still on (but I know millions would disagree).

And I'm still upset that Life has been cancelled. Damian Lewis was so great in that show - it's far better than a lot of other stuff on at the moment.

I loved Pushing Daisies :smile2: It was always so light hearted and not too taxing. I wish they had renewed it.

I love the idea and the show, and how it's done but still, I find it quite boring to watch :lol: I'd like to love it but I just can't sit still for a whole episode. I think the dog Digby (?) is awesome though :she: If it was him in the main role, I'd watch it :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I've thought of another one - Dead Like Me was some of the darkest humour around and really appealed to me, but was cancelled after just two seasons.

There is at least a Dead Like Me movie :D

I thought Jericho had excellent potential but it just never really got the chance. shame really. There have not been a great deal of promising new shows this years that I have heard about either :lol: