Cancelled shows VS. shows that run for season after interminable season

Princess Orchid

I hate bad tv. I can't stand shows like Big Brother (just most reality shows in general - unless the contestants are there to actually do something, like on Masterchef). I can't understand why the networks let some shows run on for season after season after oh-god-kill-me season.

Some examples of this are: 7th Heavan, Dawson's Creek, 90210 + all the spinoffs, Big Brother, Ally McBeal, Felicity, California Dreams (and all the similar sort of Saturday morning craptacular shows, like Malibu something-or-other, and that one with the American high school in Europe), One Tree Hill, The Osbournes, any "celebrity" "reality" show inspired by the Osbournes...to name a few...

I'm also a little bitter as the networks cancelled my favourite show after 3 seasons, when I can't even count how many seasons 7th Heavan has been allowed back on to pollute the airwaves. There IS such a thing as bowing out gracefully (ie the OC, Sex and the City, Will and Grace...)

So, good shows that went before their time? Veronica Mars (*sniff*), Futurama, My So-called Life, Jake 2.0...

Why why why???!!! Is there a conspiracy to keep good programming off the telly or something???!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my favourites get cancelled too:

Firefly - cancelled before the end of the first (and only) season (but released, in-full, on DVD and since run on TV)

Farscape - cancelled, then given a mini-reprieve with Peacekeeper Wars

Drive - cancelled after 7 episodes (only 6 of which are available), despite being absolutely fantastic

Carnivale - I've only just started watching this, but it's great and was cancelled after the 2nd season

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - two wonderful seasons, then shut off in its prime

Sports Night - another Aaron Sorkin masterpiece that got cut

Boomtown - one of the most innovative and awesomely cast programmes ever - GONE!

And those are just a few! It's shocking how drivel like Big Brother gets season after season of wannabes taking over our television screens, when the really good stuff disappears without a trace.

I lamented the loss of The West Wing, but that one had come to a natural end and left on a high that will have it fondly remembered for many years to come.

I don't watch much TV - I hate most reality shows (although I do love Strictly Come Dancing - it's so pwetty!). The only show that Kell's listed above that I've even heard of is 'The West Wing' and I've never seen that!

I tend to watch more factual stuff like 'Who Do You Think You Are?', 'Top Gear', 'What The Victorians (etc) Did For Us'.

I do feel sorry for people who watch series that are suddenly cancelled with no warning. A very good internet friend of mine has never forgiven the ITV networks for cancelling Peak Practice without tying up all the loose ends!

This has been happening to all of my boyfriend's favorite shows. Last year, he used to love The Black Donnelys and Jericho, and both were canceled after one season. However, CBS decided to bring back Jericho after fans protested by sending thousands of pounds of peanuts to their offices...creative, I must say. :welcomeboard:

I also loved My So-Called Life, that was one of the best shows that has been on TV. And yes, most reality TV totally sucks!

I don't watch much TV - I hate most reality shows (although I do love Strictly Come Dancing - it's so pwetty!). The only show that Kell's listed above that I've even heard of is 'The West Wing' and I've never seen that!

I tend to watch more factual stuff like 'Who Do You Think You Are?', 'Top Gear', 'What The Victorians (etc) Did For Us'.

I do feel sorry for people who watch series that are suddenly cancelled with no warning. A very good internet friend of mine has never forgiven the ITV networks for cancelling Peak Practice without tying up all the loose ends!

Youseem to have the same taste in tv programmes as me. I would only add wildlife programmes. However I must hold my hands up to watching The Bill, which is frequently cancelled for Football:motz:

American Gothic was wonderful, so of course it got cancelled. Also -

Dark Angel

Alias (was this cancelled or did the writers just decide it was time to finish things?)

Angel (though this was possibly past its sell by date by the time it got cancelled)

Oh this is a common rant of mine. If I love it, it's a death knell.

Examples? Ever heard of Dark Skies? Yeah, it only ran one season. I watched obsessively and followed it with Profiler, which was also canceled. And don't get me started on Pretender. Dark Angel was another show I watched without fail.

There was another one that only ran a few episodes on the Sci Fi channel (I can't remember the name, but I never forgot the concept) which was about a space ship full of clones who don't know they're clones.

They survived a plague that wiped out human existence. Sound familiar? Yeah. That one died too.

Good thing that "Medium" was on too late for me or it would probably be gone by now.

All my favourites get cancelled too:

Firefly - cancelled before the end of the first (and only) season (but released, in-full, on DVD and since run on TV)

Farscape - cancelled, then given a mini-reprieve with Peacekeeper Wars

Drive - cancelled after 7 episodes (only 6 of which are available), despite being absolutely fantastic

Carnivale - I've only just started watching this, but it's great and was cancelled after the 2nd season

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - two wonderful seasons, then shut off in its prime

Sports Night - another Aaron Sorkin masterpiece that got cut

Boomtown - one of the most innovative and awesomely cast programmes ever - GONE!

And those are just a few! It's shocking how drivel like Big Brother gets season after season of wannabes taking over our television screens, when the really good stuff disappears without a trace.

I lamented the loss of The West Wing, but that one had come to a natural end and left on a high that will have it fondly remembered for many years to come.

Kell

I loved The West Wing too! In fact, I'd say it was the best TV drama of all time, in my (admittedly biased!) opinion. In fact, I'm drinking out of my West Wing mug as I write. Without wishing to get political, if only .......:lol:. But I agree that it had run its course, and while I was sorry to see it end, the time was right.

I awaited Studio 60 eagerly, but I have to say the series disappointed me, and I gave up on it after the first couple of episodes. Great production values and the usual cracking script from Aaron Sorkin, but perhaps it was too soon after The West Wing. I kept finding myself thinking "What's Josh doing in this?". And as for the appalling woman who played the female lead (Jordan if I recall), I thought she was totally implausible.

I think the biggest problem, though, was that it just didn't "get to me". I found that, for all the show's good qualities, at the end of the day I just didn't care very much about the fortunes of a Hollywood TV show, certainly not in the same way I cared about the fortunes of the Bartlet administration.

So, good shows that went before their time? Veronica Mars (*sniff*), Futurama, My So-called Life, Jake 2.0...

Why why why???!!! Is there a conspiracy to keep good programming off the telly or something???!!!

Oh, I totally miss My So-Called Life!!! How hot was Jared Leto in that show????? Have u ever heard his band (30 seconds 2 Mars)? They have a new song out that I LOVE!!

• 1 year later...

Cancelled shows, aaah, I hate when they do this.

For me the shows I really would like to have seen more off:

Firefly, I'm fan of almost everything Joss Whedon does and this was way too short. Good thing they have had a few comics out after in the last year or so. There is still a big firefly fanbase out there.

Angel, It was sad to see the show go. it ended so weirdly start of the battle and otherwise (buffy/angel season finales) we got to see the whole battle. For the big fans of this, good thing for the follow up comics. I own them all. I've got a steady order for each of them. It's not the same but better than no Angel at all.

Buffy, I know an other Joss Whedon show but like I said I'm fan of his work. I thought the 7 seasons were even too short for the whole story. But for this they also continued in comic form. I heard some rumors about maybe there being a film coming to continue the story but no actual final news.

The Ex-list, I don't know if anyone saw the 4 episodes of this show. Yes cancelled after only 4 episodes. But I still loved it. Elizabeth Reaser (or how do you write her name) played the main character and it was funny and I really would have loved at least a complete season.

Dead like me, I just bought the 2 seasons of this show. Only saw a few episodes before and now want to really dig into it.

I love tv shows and I watch a lot of them, but why do they always cancel the ones I love??

All of my favourite American series have now ended: ER, Angel, Buffy, The West Wing, Will and Grace, Friends, Sex and the City. Although I am unsure which were cancelled and which just bowed out. I have heard that Samantha Who has just recently been cancelled which is a shame as I loved it!

I was getting into Studio 60.

:)

I loved Studio 60! It was a brilliant show & it's a shame that NBC cancelled it - especially as they didn't really give it a fair chance at succeeding by moving it around the time/date slots.

Yep me too. I am always watching the re-runs of Charmed and Friends.

I loved Charmed too, I have all the boxsets so watch them quite often. At least the show came to a definate conclusion. Some shows end, but they haven't tied up the loose ends which is annoying.

I would like a special one and a half hour special of Friends and what they're doing now. See what kind of mum and dad Monica and Chandler are ... Are Ross and Rachel finally in a proper settled relationship without all the emotional we-were-on-a-break stuff! Is Phoebe a mum to her own set of twins? And has Joey finally met a good Italian girl feeding him properly?

There are LOTS of possibilities for a special reunion!

I loved Charmed too, I have all the boxsets so watch them quite often. At least the show came to a definate conclusion. Some shows end, but they haven't tied up the loose ends which is annoying.

You are right there, it was definite!

I loved the final episode of Charmed, it had everything and everyone it needed to make it work, and ALL the loose ends were completely tied up, and we got to dip into the future. Very satifactory end! :)

I would like a special one and a half hour special of Friends and what they're doing now. See what kind of mum and dad Monica and Chandler are ... Are Ross and Rachel finally in a proper settled relationship without all the emotional we-were-on-a-break stuff! Is Phoebe a mum to her own set of twins? And has Joey finally met a good Italian girl feeding him properly?

There are LOTS of possibilities for a special reunion!

That would be so cool Suzanna. Wish they would do a one off for that

Like others, I miss The West Wing very much, but know that it did come to a natural stop when the president's two terms in office were over. I miss the great dialogue though, which is why I fell in love with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and then that goes and gets canceled! Very maddening. I heard that Bradley Whitford does have a new show coming out this fall though, so that's something to watch for.

I also really miss Freaks & Geeks, which was an amazing show, imo, and unfortunately only just barely on for one season. Oh, and I know that Gilmore Girls was on for quite a few years, but it just ended really abruptly and I wish it would have had one more season.

I also really miss Freaks & Geeks, which was an amazing show, imo, and unfortunately only just barely on for one season. Oh, and I know that Gilmore Girls was on for quite a few years, but it just ended really abruptly and I wish it would have had one more season.

Here here!! I also miss Veronica Mars and My So Called Life. Having said this, I do like reality-TV as well so I don't mind seeing there are so many shows out there :)