Stephen King - The Stand

Michelle

This is a book which keeps cropping up in the forum.. it's been recommended as a favourite, some are reading it, and many have it on their TBR pile. I have it upstairs.. I can't remember if I've read it many years ago, but I definitely want to get to it. I'm considering reading it alongside others.

So, this is the thread for all things related.. discuss your memories, dicsuss as you read, etc.. just take care and use spoilers please. :smile2:

No! I disagree - get the unabridged version - it fills in all the gaps and you get to see even more of all those wonderful characters, as well as a few that got cut for the shorter version (it's worth it just for The Kid - an excellent character!).

In King's own words (from the preface) re the shorter version:

I don't know what you think, but for me, that version's a loser. The story is there, but it's not elegant. It's like a Cadillac with the chrome stripped off and the paint sanded down to dull metal. It goes somewhere, but it ain't, you know, boss.
I've never read the short version, but if King thinks it's not up to his own vision, then I'm happy to agree with him, because the uncut version is so excellent. And my hardback version has pictures in it too!

The very first time I read The Stand must have been about 15 years ago and I must have read it about 10 times over the years* (I originally had a 2nd-had copy that had been passed around a bit and replaced it with a 2nd-hand hardback version in 1999 when the paperback pages were dropping out). No matter how often I read it, I always find something fresh about it, something I'd forgotten that surprises me, or something that has since taken on new meaning and so affects me more or less than it did before. And it's such an epic journey, with so much happening, that it really warrants the full-length (just over 1000 pages) - and those pages are all packed!

Despite being written at the tale-end of the 70s, The Stand never seems to date - the threat of an all-out medial emergency that could decimate the population, even in the advanced West, is still as real now as it was then, and the characters are recognisable as folks you might know yourself.

And everyone has their favourites - I completely fell in love with Stu Redman - dependable Stu who you can imagine being the backbone of every community. Yes, Larry is young good looking and cool; and Nick is the strong, silent type too (if you've read it, you'll know exactly what i mean - LOL!), with a fair amount of mystery - kind and compassionate above and beyond the call of duty; but it was Stu that I knew would have captured my heart if we'd ever met. :smile2:

I truly believe that this is King's masterpiece - I can't imagine him ever bettering this and if he does, I'll be utterly flabbergasted!

*Actually, I've been thinking recently that I'd like to read it again some time soon - it's been over two years and I've never written a review of it, so watch out! I may well be writing an epic review by the end of the year!

I read the full version and The Kid was a memorable character to say the least.

I also loved the stories of other survivors, the wee boy who falls down the hole and no one is there to save him (a tragic tale) but I loved the way that Stephen King explored the whole scenario, if that makes sense?

:smile2:

No! I disagree - get the unabridged version - it fills in all the gaps and you get to see even more of all those wonderful characters, as well as a few that got cut for the shorter version (it's worth it just for The Kid - an excellent character!).

Yep Im reading the unabridged version and I'm finding it not hard going at all. In fact I am finding this the easiest Stephen King I have read!

Despite being written at the tale-end of the 70s, The Stand never seems to date

I agree. This book could have quite easily have been written yesterday. It is still just as relevant now as when it was written.

And everyone has their favourites Nick is the strong, silent type too (if you've read it, you'll know exactly what i mean - LOL

Lol! :smile2:

I truly believe that this is King's masterpiece - I can't imagine him ever bettering this and if he does, I'll be utterly flabbergasted!

Certainly I would find it hard to find a book that would EVER come close to this book. It is a fasinating read, an element of "it could happen" keeps you gripped and I for one am throughly enjoying reaing it and would recommend it to anyone! :)

It's a wonder this book hasn't been suggested for the reading circle yet! It seems that it's always being read by at least one member. I have it on my own TBR pile, but I was going to hold off until next year to read it because I've already read two Stephen King books this year and I'd like to spread them out a little :smile2:

It's a wonder this book hasn't been suggested for the reading circle yet!
I was going to nominate it for early next year as it will be the 30th anniversary of it being written. :smile2:

I've read this book twice, and I absolutely love it! I have the unabridged version...in my opinion, the only version worth reading. I'll probably end up reading it about once a year or so, since I keep finding new things each time I read.

Also, someone said that Nick is their favorite character, but my favorite has always been Larry. He's sort of an anti-hero, and that has always appealed to me. I also like Stu, and I think of him as the true hero of the book.

Fanny gets on my nerves, though....:smile2:

I was going to nominate it for early next year as it will be the 30th anniversary of it being written. :smile2:

Excellent! I can hold off for a few months. I hope there'll still be a lot of interest then when so many people have read it. Although judging by all the rave reviews, it looks like people will be more than happy to read it again. :)

I'm not sure it will make a good Reading Circle book, as it's so long. I think people may feel pressured into reading it within the month, and for some, that may not be possible. I, for example, am planning to read it alongside other books.

That's why I set up this thread, to be honest, for all sorts of discussions about it. If people want an actual RC thread, one can be set up to run for some time, and alongside the others. (I think we did this with another book.. was it The Shining?)

It must be 20 years since I read this (the abridged version), and I think I've only read it once. I enjoyed it, but can't remember much about it so it's definitely due a re-read.

I have been reading this for over a month and im not quite half way through yet... :blush:I wish I had more time to read!!

Fortunately, I've always found it a very good book to read along-side other books - with the length of it, it's often good to read a few lighter books along the way (not that The Stand is particularly "heavy" other than in actual weight - LOL!), and it doesn't seem to detract from it at all.

It must be 20 years since I read this (the abridged version), and I think I've only read it once. I enjoyed it, but can't remember much about it so it's definitely due a re-read.

Ooh, I can see there may well be quite a few of us picking this one up shortly - following the lead of those who have already started it!

if you haven't read it - don't read the new unabridged version, it's far too long. the original print was long enough and fantastic!SP

Noooooo! :) I'm with Kell on this one. :smile2: Always go for the unabridged version! I haven't read the abridged version, but I can't think of anything that would benefit the story by being left out.

I also loved the stories of other survivors, the wee boy who falls down the hole and no one is there to save him (a tragic tale) but I loved the way that Stephen King explored the whole scenario, if that makes sense?

:D

Yes, I loved those bits. That's probably one of my favourite parts of the book. I wanted to mention that in another thread, but I just couldn't get my words out. :lol:

It's a great way of showing us the whole picture, not just those who died from the superflu, but those who died from the impact of the flu.

And everyone has their favourites - I completely fell in love with Stu Redman - dependable Stu who you can imagine being the backbone of every community.

Stu is mine too. I loved his character right from the word go, and even more so, when I saw Gary Sinise play him. :)

Hmm, I may have to put aside The Other Boleyn Girl (as I never seem to be able to get past page 30 - purely due to circumstance and state of mind, not the book!), and pick The Stand up again. :lol:

i read both versions and the unabridged detailed the characters so deeply that it really made me feel their struggles and successes- this is by far my favorite stephen king book and if i can find it in the avalanche of books i have it just might be time for a reread-carm