Which is the best book in the Chronicles of Narnia?

Kell

Which is the best book in the Chronicles of Narnia?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best book in the Chronicles of Narnia?

• The Magician's Nephew
    • The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe
    • The Horse & His Boy
    • Prince Caspian
    • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    • The Silver Chair
    • The Last Battle
    • I've not read them

Sparked by the Narnia thread, I thought I'd ask which of the books you enjoyed most (if you've read them). What did you like about it specifically & what made it stabnd out from the others? And if you haven't read them, why not?!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was kind of a toss-up for me between The Magician's Nephew & The Silver Chair. The first one described the beginnings of Narnia so beautifully that I always look forward to taking it down off the shelf, but Silver Chair is so much darker than any of the previous stories that you can't help thinking the books have grown up with the reader. I also remember going to see a stage production of it when I was about 9 years old & it was startlingly scary at the time - very mysterious indeed! So, in the end, I had to vote for the later book - I think it had a direct influence on my love of pitch-black books.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Definately The Magician's Nephew. Not sure exactly why but I can still picture Polly and Digory crossing through the joined attics in the terrace of houses. See, I haven't read it in 20 odd years and it is still so vivid in my mind.

I know I did like finding out how it all came to be - the wardrobe, the lampost, etc.

im probably in the minority here, but personally i hated the lot of them!! the film isnt any better, either IMHO

I'm with you on this one. I was so looking forward to reading this series, and I just wound up so disappointed. :tong: I can't recall exactly what it was I didn't like, but I know I couldn't read beyond the third book. As for the film, I turned it off halfway. :welcomeboard: Just not my thing at all. I'm really, really not into fantasy!

I almost picked The Last Battle, but I love The Magician's Nephew. It's difficult, because I love them all.

I love when Eustace gets the ring on his arm and becomes a dragon. I love it when Lucy sees her friends trashing her in a magic book.

I need to read the whole series again.

I voted for the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe because I REALLY liked Peter... but the Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my next choice. The Silver Chair gave me nightmares when I was a child, after I read it (tons of playground slides that disappeared into the ground and went on forever, LOL!)... but it's okay now.

I liked The Last Battle, too... the other three I had a hard time getting into.

• 3 weeks later...

I described the scene from my close favorite, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, in this post on my blog. It is not very often that even the most sweeping of books make me teary-eyed, so it was really special. I like The Magician's Nephew second-best because of the creation scene and the fact that I was a little familiar with it from reading half of it in my elementary years.

Do you guys read them chronologically (1. Magician's Nephew, 2. Lion, Witch, Wardrobe, et cetera) or in the order Lewis wrote them (the order the movies are being made: 1. Lion, Witch, Wardrobe, 2. Prince Caspian, et cetera)? I read them chronologically.

Teehee - I bet my younger cousin, my favorite fellow bookworm, will find it funny like I did that so many chose The Last Battle as their favorite.

That little monkey was so stinking manipulative!