What's Up in January 2016?

Kylie

Sounds like you had a super productive day Gaia, you deserve a chilled out day :)

I had my window egged last night by my next door neighbours, not sure why. They're students, which could be a reason. I had a friend over, and the walls are thin enough that I could hear all the 90s tunes (Absolutely Everybody - I had forgotten all about that song) they were playing next door last night (party I think) but I don't think my friend and I were obnoxiously loud in any way. Certainly no louder than them, we didn't have music on or anything. The timing of the egg hitting the window was highly coincidental though, I really felt as though it was aimed at my friend and I for making noise. Gave us an awful fright, we were just dozing and there was this incredibly loud crack, it actually sounded like someone was in the hallway and they had just knocked over/broken something heavy. Had no idea what it was, my friend thought it came from next door and I wasn't sure so ignored it. Only when I opened the curtains this morning did I see the egg stains on the window and the shell all over the roof under my window. It's possible it was someone at a party next door last night who was messing around, but I don't know. Either way, even if I had been screaming Taylor Swift songs at the top of my voice, it wouldn't warrant an egging. Gonna have to clean it all off the window this evening when I get home from work.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm returning home tomorrow, due to circumstances I didn't know beforehand. I like it here, but this kind of thing doesn't concern me as it did before. The restlessness doesn't end, though.

So sorry, woolf :( *huggles* I hope things get better asap.

I am sorry to hear that, I know you were looking forward to some new experiences.

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr.'s observed birthday, a national holiday.  I taught my 7 year old about slavery, discrimination, segregation, the bus boycott in Alabama and played her part of his I Have a Dream speech.  It was a wonderful experience teaching her.  We also started Goosebumps: Night of the Living Dummy (130 some pages :o )

Aw, teaching experiences like that must be a really special experience for mothers <3 

Noll, that's awful! Probably some show-off who wanted his friends to think he was cool. Eejits.

I'm not feeling the best today. I have another staph infection so I'm going to give my feet a good Listerine pedicure then try to just rest a bit. An old "friend" I haven't seen or talked to in more than 2 years now has decided she wants something back that she previously left at my apartment around 3 years ago. Its somewhere in storage and since she needs it IMMEDIATELY (a photo album) and her time is much more important than anyone else's I need to go through all the boxes in my garage by Friday. I can't even think about her or doing it right now, I'm so livid at her. I don't want to see her at all so I think I'm just going to leave it in a bag by my apartment front door for her to retrieve. 

There's a reason I like animals more than humans. 

I'm not feeling the best today. I have another staph infection so I'm going to give my feet a good Listerine pedicure then try to just rest a bit. An old "friend" I haven't seen or talked to in more than 2 years now has decided she wants something back that she previously left at my apartment around 3 years ago. Its somewhere in storage and since she needs it IMMEDIATELY (a photo album) and her time is much more important than anyone else's I need to go through all the boxes in my garage by Friday. I can't even think about her or doing it right now, I'm so livid at her. I don't want to see her at all so I think I'm just going to leave it in a bag by my apartment front door for her to retrieve.

I hope your feet get better soon.

What a demanding person! I really don't like arrogant people like that. If she needed it immediately she shouldn't have left it there in the first place. How stuck-up is she demanding that you do this straight away. You have a life too :friends0:!

I stupidly burned my hand on our heater :(. It's been hurting for a while now, I spent almost 3 hours with a wet cloth wrapped around it.

She's one of those people who have that "my way or no way" attitude. It always has to be her idea or she moans about having to do something. I'd rather get it over with and never have to see her again. The funny thing is, its a cheap dollar store album and every single picture is on Facebook. I think she's just pulling a stunt for the heck of it, TBH.

Oh no, Gaia! Do you have any aloe? :(

It's nice you taught her those things. I didn't tell you yet, but the road nearby here, at the mini-tunnel, I think it's got "Martin Luther King Jr." written on the side :). I hope she enjoys the Goosebumps book.

That is so neat that his message of peace continues to spread, not just in the US, but around the world :)

Goosebumps was the first thing she asked about when she got home from school.  But she has math and a sentence to write about a previous book (Serendipity series) first!

Aw, teaching experiences like that must be a really special experience for mothers <3 

An old "friend" I haven't seen or talked to in more than 2 years now has decided she wants something back that she previously left at my apartment around 3 years ago.

There's a reason I like animals more than humans. 

At first, I thought it would make me nervous and anxious, teaching her, but when she started bringing home books like "Sam the Clam" I knew it was time to step in!  She is at a 3rd grade reading level!

I know what you mean with the humans over animals, the way last week went with an old "friend" of mine, left me laying with my dog for a few days :smile:

I stupidly burned my hand on our heater :(. It's been hurting for a while now, I spent almost 3 hours with a wet cloth wrapped around it.

:flowers2:

She's one of those people who have that "my way or no way" attitude. It always has to be her idea or she moans about having to do something. I'd rather get it over with and never have to see her again. The funny thing is, its a cheap dollar store album and every single picture is on Facebook. I think she's just pulling a stunt for the heck of it, TBH.

If the photos are readily available elsewhere, just tell her you threw it out years ago!

Awww :( that is just mean.

I don't think we have anything like that, or maybe I'm not sure what you mean. We have aloë vera as a scent in things like shampoo or shower gel I believe, but I don't know if it's sold on its own. I held a cold wet cloth on it for a while, then once it stopped hurting my mum (she's a medical doctor, but she doesn't see patients) put a blister plaster on it (my boyfriend told me that is a correct word.. but it just sounds so funny in English, I can't help but :giggle2:)

That is so neat that his message of peace continues to spread, not just in the US, but around the world :)

I agree!

Goosebumps was the first thing she asked about when she got home from school.  But she has math and a sentence to write about a previous book (Serendipity series) first!

At first, I thought it would make me nervous and anxious, teaching her, but when she started bringing home books like "Sam the Clam" I knew it was time to step in!  She is at a 3rd grade reading level!

That's so nice :).

:flowers2:

If the photos are readily available elsewhere, just tell her you threw it out years ago!

That is a nice suggestion. I couldn't say that myself if I were in the situation (I don't like lies), but it is an interesting suggestion.

Got a few days off work now, and I know it's not even the end of January, but I'm pleased to be away from it for a little while already. :D

We're planning to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens again (this will be the third time :giggle2:), and I'm hoping to get some good reading time in, as well as pick up my sewing again.  Not very exciting, but relaxing nonetheless. 

Good morning, afternoon, twilight and evening (did I cover everyone?)!

Okay, so I started this almost two hours ago and got distracted by my little minions! That's what they do, distract and attack when my defenses are down. Can't close one eyelid without the threat of having your eyelids painted with nail polish or a rank diaper being pulled off and left for later (they like making you hunt for the poopy diaper). 

Not much going on, on my side of the globe. The weather is "iffy" the kids are busy and I'm a granny homemaker. 

I've got plenty of books to read and some nice adult coloring books to work on, jewelry to make (when they aren't watching me and they are ALWAYS watching me!) and a few little projects to work on. I do have a few moments of depression when I think about all the things I "COULD" be doing with other adults, but then I look at the little faces of my grands and I'm content again.

Today we're watching Harry Potter books 1 and 2. Laundry has been done and tummys tamed. Nap time and then some ME time!

Yesterday we went to an antique market. It's not really my sort of thing. My parents were going, and they asked Michael and me if we wanted to go with. I wasn't too bothered, but Michael said he'd like to go and then of course I'd go with him (after all, he comes with me to bookish things quite often :) ). There were 25 stalls, inside this manor house. A lot of things didn't interest me, and my asthma played up (probably because of all the dusty things). I enjoyed seeing the rooms though and also the book shelves with old books.

I found this beautiful book shelf tapestry. There was no price tag on it. First there was a lady who very meanly said she saw it first (she was nowhere near it, I felt she could have at least been nice about the whole thing instead of unfriendly). So then I was disappointed. Later on the lady had left (without the tapestry), but then it turned out it cost way more than I was willing to spend on it. So instead my mum said she'd use Google to see if there are any for sale, cheaper.

After seeing the stalls in the manor house, we went to the "children's farm" nearby, where they have animals you could pet. That was nice.

When we got back home, my mum found a fabric that was maybe not as good-looking as the tapestry, but a whole lot cheaper. So I've just ordered that :exc:. We were looking for a curtain in front of our front door, as there is a lot of draft (cold air) coming through it. So now I'm going to hang my fabric above the door. My dad the engineer, is good at making it be convenient. We plan to hang it so that we can also move it aside or out of the way in ie. summer or when we want to go through the door and need a bit more space. It was free delivery if you spend over a certain amount of money, but we were just about under that. Instead of paying for delivery, I instead picked a fabric for myself, for less money, that I will use as a scarf, to make it to the amount of money needed (so basically I got it for free since it was less than the shipping costs).

This week will be a busy one for me. More work on the attic, new passports and driver's licence, optician's, psychiatrist, library, librarysale... it will be busy (but some of it should be fun). My grandparents are coming over today, we will have lunch with them.

How is everyone's weekend? I hope you all have a nice Sunday.

I've had a good weekend Gaia, thanks. This weekend brought some warmer weather to England and I've taken advantage of it and been outside more than I have been in the last few weeks when it has been cold. I haven't been up to anything particularly exciting but I have booked flights from a trip to Copenhagen in May. I've also managed to get some reading done and watched a few movies as well. It's been a good weekend.

Fabric shopping this morning, followed by coffee, then a visit to my dad and finally picked up all my new glasses.  Very pleased with them all, and glad to have them sorted out at last.  Back home for a bit of sewing, and now I'm going to flop in my chair in front of the telly for the evening. 

Well, meant to get some reading time in, during my normal time... but the school nurse called and little one was running a fever and had stomach issues, so now I am playing nurse.  Poor thing, she just managed some toast, hot tea with a little milk and sugar.

Got off my backside yesterday evening and cleaned the entire house, got the kids clothes sorted for school and their gear ready to walk out the door. This morning I did laundry, took Kizzy on a 1.5 mile walk, did some stretches and weights, got the littles dressed, tidied the house and then lugged them off to the library. Came home to deposit them to hubby then went out to do some grocery shopping and hit the bookstore. Got home, unloaded everything and am now taking a little break before cooking dinner. 

I did a marathon read Saturday. I read 476 pages (completed the book, it's 576 pages long) of Elizabeth George's Banquet of Consequences. It was a page turner! 

On Sunday afternoon I donated blood for the first time ever! It was kind of a big deal for me, because I'm terrified of needles, but I did it and I'm so proud of myself! Tonight I went ahead and booked an appointment for my next donation when they return in June. :)

post-3572-0-10976100-1453767096_thumb.jpg

I've had a good weekend Gaia, thanks. This weekend brought some warmer weather to England and I've taken advantage of it and been outside more than I have been in the last few weeks when it has been cold. I haven't been up to anything particularly exciting but I have booked flights from a trip to Copenhagen in May. I've also managed to get some reading done and watched a few movies as well. It's been a good weekend.

I hope you enjoy your holiday :). It's nice you were able to spend some time outside. 

Fabric shopping this morning, followed by coffee, then a visit to my dad and finally picked up all my new glasses.  Very pleased with them all, and glad to have them sorted out at last.  Back home for a bit of sewing, and now I'm going to flop in my chair in front of the telly for the evening. 

I'm glad you had a good day. 

Well, meant to get some reading time in, during my normal time... but the school nurse called and little one was running a fever and had stomach issues, so now I am playing nurse.  Poor thing, she just managed some toast, hot tea with a little milk and sugar.

Awwww :(.

Got off my backside yesterday evening and cleaned the entire house, got the kids clothes sorted for school and their gear ready to walk out the door. This morning I did laundry, took Kizzy on a 1.5 mile walk, did some stretches and weights, got the littles dressed, tidied the house and then lugged them off to the library. Came home to deposit them to hubby then went out to do some grocery shopping and hit the bookstore. Got home, unloaded everything and am now taking a little break before cooking dinner. 

I did a marathon read Saturday. I read 476 pages (completed the book, it's 576 pages long) of Elizabeth George's Banquet of Consequences. It was a page turner!

You did a lot! I'm glad you enjoyed your book :)

On Sunday afternoon I donated blood for the first time ever! It was kind of a big deal for me, because I'm terrified of needles, but I did it and I'm so proud of myself! Tonight I went ahead and booked an appointment for my next donation when they return in June. :)

Congratulations! That is certainly something to be proud of :).

I've just been to the optician's for an eye test. New glasses will arrive in a little while. I'm keeping my old frame as I'm very happy with it, and the few frames in the shop that I liked, didn't look good on my face (my face isn't so big so it quickly looks too big on my face). This is possibly cheaper, too.

I've spent the last couple of days really busy with re-arranging the caravans and also catching up on all the office work that I keep putting off for the two businesses! Wish I had a bit more time to read but my free time seems to go so quickly at the minute!

This seems a friendly group - hope its ok if I join you.  Really lovely to see what you're all up to.  Today I went out to see if I could find a "beware of the ice" sign ( in German) - unsuccessful, but at least my German was understood :o .  It seems that everywhere is safe to walk, apart from our drive which is like an ice-rink most of the winter.    Also been looking at (paper) quilling patterns - a new hobby for this year - and ought to catch up on some reading.  Note that housework etc. hasn't made it onto the list today!  

Thanks Virginia for the Banquet of Consequences recommendation - I've looked it up and put it on my list of books to be read.  

Also been looking at (paper) quilling patterns - a new hobby for this year - and ought to catch up on some reading.

:006:  I've always wanted to make a quilt, what colors are you using?  Are you doing a design or blocks?  I am into crocheting, but just started like you.  Started a scarf a few days ago, I only pick it up in between other things I am doing, so it doesn't go very fast :lol:  Very impressed you are reading patterns, I find that very difficult in crochet.

Back at work for a couple of days and already can't wait for the weekend. Had an interesting journey home ... a double decker bus decided to do a three point turn (which ended up probably at least a seven point turn) while waiting in traffic lights at roadworks. :roll:  Fortunately he managed it without too much fuss, and only held us up for a minute or two, but you can imagine the looks on drivers faces as they were held up after having just sat waiting for traffic lights to let them through!