Your Book Activity - January 2016

Kylie

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My self-imposed Read-a-Thon could have gone better :roll:

I did finish my Mrs Brown's Boys book over the weekend - wasn't hard, I only had like 15 pages left. I didn't finish Chris Hadfield's one, or Mo Hayder's one - but I do only have about 70 pages in the former and 95 pages in the latter to read, so about two and a half hours of reading. Hopefully will get them done between lunchtime today and this evening, and then I'll have finished my first ten books of the year! :D

I finished Under the Skin today. Very thought-provoking and well written! I'll now be continuing on with Dead Wake, which is about the sinking of the cruise liner Lusitania by German forces during WWI.

I finished Joyland by Stephen King, which I loved. :boogie:  Now I'm reading A Man Called Ove. :readingtwo:

Glad you loved Joyland! :smile2: And hurraaaaah for enjoying A Man Called Ove! :wub: 

Finished reading Tyttö vailla nimeä by Gunnel Beckman. I have 18 pages left of The Phantom Tollbooth

I finished Under the Skin today. Very thought-provoking and well written!

What did you think of the ending?

Glad you loved Joyland! :smile2: And hurraaaaah for enjoying A Man Called Ove! :wub:

I'm really liking A Man Called Ove:D  I should finish it tonight as my Kindle tells me I only have 20 minutes left. Then I'm going to start The Pact by Jodi Picoult, which has been mentioned on here a few times recently.

I dare say my slump is over, after giving up The Life of Lady Margaret Douglas by Alison Weir. Instead, I started The Time Traveler's Wife this afternoon.

This is one of my (many) favourite books, I hope you enjoy it :)!

Then I'm going to start The Pact by Jodi Picoult, which has been mentioned on here a few times recently.

I hope you like it :)!

I.... got distracted and did zero reading yesterday. Whoops.

Awwww. Maybe better today?

I started to read John Flanagan - Broederband 5: De Schorpioenberg (Brotherband 5: Scorpion Mountain), so far it's nice but I'm only 40 pages in so it's a bit too early to tell.

Ok on to my last Christmas book for this year (this has been in the pile from last year) Christmas at Claridges by Karen Swan and also reading A cat called Alfie by Rachel Wells - this is the second book in the Alfie series. Loved the first one.

I haven't been reading as much as I would like - I've been binge watching Orange is the New Black with the hubby in the evenings! Its rare to find a programme that ill watch for hours and that he will too so thats been nice. He is on a night shift tonight though and I'm very much looking forward to an evening of reading hehe!

I can see why it's one of your favorite books- I am now just under 40% into The Time Traveler's Wife and am totally in love with this book!  My first though when I woke up this morning was- I get to read a great book today!!

Reading Spectacles by Sue Perkins which is making me laugh. Continuing on (with Alan) with The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan and still loving it. Also continuing with listening to Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler which is fabulous.

Haven't slept well the last few days so have listened to the Vanity Fair dramatisation which was on Radio 4 recently (I listen with a view of hopefully dropping off so I rarely listen to my current audiobook as it's a nightmare trying to find your way back to where you left off. I know the story of Vanity Fair so I only have to pay slight attention :D) .. also listened this morning to some letters F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote to his editor about The Great Gatsby. Interesting stuff :)

I noticed too that radio 4 have had Slade House by David Mitchell as their 'Book at Bedtime' recently. I'm not listening to that at night    :hide:  :D 

As well as all of this I'm continuing to read extracts from A Traveller's Year by Travis Elborough and Nick Rennison each day. 

No wonder my head is buzzing  :blush2: 

I have started a Short Short List TBR which is composed of books I have already started but then put aside for whatever reason. My reason is that with only a little effort I can finish quite a lot of books in a short time and give my reading a good bump up. 

What did you think of the ending?

Not quite what I was expecting (or hoping for), but ultimately I think it was quite a good ending.

Read a little more of Dead Wake. Larson is setting the scene and the context in the lead up to the sinking of the Lusitania. He's a remarkable writer.

I didn't read at all yesterday (I am reading John Flanagan - Broederband 5: De Schorpioenberg (Brotherband 5: Scorpion Mountain)). Instead, I spent a lot of time re-organising my books, which I started on Monday. I hope to read more in my book later today.

I'm enjoying it well enough (if 'enjoying' is the right word!) I guess, like most people, I would have to note how strange it is! :D I'm loving the slow reveal though. I'm about halfway through it now.

I finished Under the Skin today. Very thought-provoking and well written!

The slow reveal in the first part of the book is the best thing! :smile2: So skillfully done! Glad you enjoyed the novel :smile2: 

I'm really liking A Man Called Ove:D  I should finish it tonight as my Kindle tells me I only have 20 minutes left. Then I'm going to start The Pact by Jodi Picoult, which has been mentioned on here a few times recently.

Ove's the best :D There's a movie of the book, too, I really want to watch it :smile2: I hope you will enjoy The Pact! It's my first Picoult and I really liked it :)

Finished reading The Phantom Tollbooth yesterday, will be doing a review later today, hopefully. Started reading Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella which is going nicely and I should be able to finish it today. 

Started reading Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella which is going nicely and I should be able to finish it today.

I look forward to hear what you think of this one :).

So far I've read about 75 pages today (in John Flanagan - Broederband 5: De Schorpioenberg (Brotherband 5: Scorpion Mountain)), so that's already better than the 'no reading' I did yesterday.

I've finished Year of Wonders now and it was fantastic.  Have started another English Counties book now - The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett and didn't realise quite how long a book it was, but it's started of brilliantly, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it over the next week or two! :D

I've finished Year of Wonders now and it was fantastic.  Have started another English Counties book now - The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett and didn't realise quite how long a book it was, but it's started of brilliantly, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it over the next week or two! :D

I'm so happy you enjoyed Year of Wonders. I had to read it for a lit class in college and its always been one of my favorites!

I've read the first couple of chapters of The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Armin today and have also listened to some of Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford in my car.   I'm enjoying both but the latter is particularly good.  :wub: