Frankie reads 2016

frankie

What an awesome job! You seem to keep working for people who love reading, which is awesome. :) It was lovely of her to let you take any books you wanted. :) How tempting it must be! I have Papillon on my TBR pile.

Yeah, it's baffling :D I didn't know beforehand that she was an avid reader :D I mean before I went in for the interview. I've been really lucky, haven't I :D 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I've been enjoying it :smile2: Today I got off earlier because I was working on my own (employer was running errands) and finished early, and then she called me and said I can leave if I've done everything! That allowed me to go to the laundry room and get an earlier time and do my own laundry earlier than I'd planned, and be done with my own household chores. Now I'm kicking my feet up and just chilling for the entire weekend :D Sweeeet! And it feels like for the first time in ages I've really earned a weekend off :smile2: 

Yep, I've been enjoying it :smile2: Today I got off earlier because I was working on my own (employer was running errands) and finished early, and then she called me and said I can leave if I've done everything! That allowed me to go to the laundry room and get an earlier time and do my own laundry earlier than I'd planned, and be done with my own household chores. Now I'm kicking my feet up and just chilling for the entire weekend :D Sweeeet! And it feels like for the first time in ages I've really earned a weekend off :smile2:

Sounds just perfect :D

Yes, and it's been perfect :D On Friday I did the laundry and then stayed up late because I didn't want to go to sleep, so that I'd only then wake up in the morning and have Saturday and Sunday left... :D On Saturday I just chilled and watched the CBB finale and read books. Today I finished one book and then went to see a friend. I gave him 8 or so books that I didn't want to own anymore, and in return he gave me my Birthday present (the bookstore gift card) that I've been meaning to collect for weeks :D He also gave me towels :D And a foam roller. I have bad posture and so I have back pains at times and I recently stumbled on a video on how to massage one's lower back with a tennis ball and I've been meaning to go and buy a ball, but knew I couldn't just buy one as they come in boxes with at least four of them... When I got the foam roller I mentioned to my friend about the tennis ball and it just so happens that he had one which he didn't like himself as it was too hard, and so I got that one off him as well :lol: How lucky! I already tried the massage at his place and I think it did something :o 

Oh what a wonderful weekend it's been. Very relaxing. My only worry now is: what to read next?! :lol: 

Thank you for your kind words! And oh dear, you've gone and mentioned The Girl in a Swing :D The thing is, I bought it from the library for very little money and fully intended to read it. Then I had to move, and gave away a lot of books, and TGiaS was one of those books. Then I found another copy of it at some library for free, and snatched that one. And then I had to move again... But I can't remember whether I kept the copy this time, or whether I gave that one away as well :blush: I should look for it! I do want to read the book some day... I've heard interesting things about it. 

Aw that's a shame. Well I hope you manage to get to it one day. I loved it :)

Congratulations on the new job! That sounds totally awesome, especially the bit about going to Spain!!

Happy reading Frankie :)

Aw that's a shame. Well I hope you manage to get to it one day. I loved it :)

I'm glad you reminded me of the book, because I forgot to check whether I still have the copy or not. I'll check after this post :)

Congratulations on the new job! That sounds totally awesome, especially the bit about going to Spain!!

Thanks! :smile2: I'm still continuing to enjoy it. Today I did some ironing for my employer. I haven't ironed anything since the home ec classes in high school, which is a long long time ago and I was a bit nervous about the whole thing... Fortunately my employer is not too fussed about it, she isn't looking for a perfect crease-free job, but just wants everything ironed, and so my skilless ironing will do :blush::D And I really, really liked doing it!! I need to do more of it later this week and so I can practice to become better at it. It's made me wonder if I ought to purchase my own iron for my own household :wub::lol:

Oh and today I went and took a dozen books to a secondhand bookshop, on behalf of my employer, to see if they'd take them and pay for them. I got more for the books than we'd thought so I was really excited about the whole thing :smile2: I'm very happy to run book errands for employer :D

Happy reading Frankie :)

Thanks, and you too!  :friends3:   

I have to say, the last two books I've read have just flown by... I don't know if they are just that good or if my mojo's been doing particularly well these days. Might be the latter, because I'm so happy about having a job and there's no stress about money and stuff. And I'm not nervous about going to work: each morning I just go there and do what's asked of me and it's all fun, because my employer is so nice and really relaxed and not fussy. And we always have a laugh :smile2: For the first time in I don't know how long my life seems very effortless and I'm so happy about it :smile2:

Edit: Yesterday she said that it feels like I've been working for her longer than the one week. I asked her if it's a good or a bad thing. She said that it's a good thing, because she feels like I'm familiar :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

I'm so glad that your job is going well frankie and that the lady is a good sort and everything :) .. so nice that she's a relaxed sort of person and not a fusspot or anything. 

If you get good at ironing .. I can perhaps employ you to come and do mine :D I might have to pay you in toast and books though :D 

So happy that things are going well for you :hug: Well done lovely!  

Edited by poppyshake

I'm so glad your job (and reading) is going so well Frankie!! :)

Thanks Jessi, I'm glad, too :D 

I'm so glad that your job is going well frankie and that the lady is a good sort and everything :) .. so nice that she's a relaxed sort of person and not a fusspot or anything. 

If you get good at ironing .. I can perhaps employ you to come and do mine :D I might have to pay you in toast and books though :D 

So happy that things are going well for you :hug: Well done lovely!  

Haha, if I get good at ironing... :D Not much confidence in my possible improvement! :D I did a bit of ironing today, too. It's one of those things: we were in a hurry so I didn't aim for perfection. If I know there will be a slower day and I can have more time to do it, I'll try and master the ironing. I'm a bit of a perfectionist at times... :blush: When I'm not half-assing things, that is :D I'd come and do your ironing for you for free, for sure! Although I wouldn't mind having toast you made... I need to know how it's done :D 

I'm glad your job is going well :).

Thanks! :smile2: 

What a great day! I went to work at 11 AM, did a bit of ironing and the dishes, and then employer and I left for a shopping mall (she had to run some errands). As the shopping mall is next to a library, employer decided that we'd take a bunch of the books she wants to get rid of and which nobody seems to be interested in to the library, to give away. As they tend to have free book swap bookcases in their foyers. From the bunch, I 'rescued' four books: 

- Köyhän lokakuu - päiväkirja by Susanna Alakoski (I have no idea what this is about, but it's by a Finnish Swede author and I have one other book by her on my wishlist. Thought I'd give this one a go)

- Loistava Helena by Veronica Pimenoff (Again, I have no idea what this book is about, but it's by a Finnish author who interests me)

- One Hundred Strokes of the Brush Before Bed by Melissa P. (I remember hearing about this books years ago... It's never made it's way to my wishlist but as the copy was there, my curiosity got the better of me)

- Turkish Gambit by Boris Akunin (For some reason I thought this book was the third novel in the series and so initially, when my employer told me I could have whatever books I liked, I wasn't interested in this, because I wanted to read the second novel first... But I've just googled the title and it is the second title in the series! :exc::D What great luck!) 

I had a lot of fun with my employer during our outing :smile2: Then I got home and noticed I'd received a package from my hometown. Must be from my Mom... Inside was a news article from our local paper, and it was about a local snow sledding event and there was a picture of two girls sledding, and coincidentally they happened to be my cousin's daughters :D Sweet kids they are! Mom had also sent me a chocolate bar and a Valentine's Day card and a fridge magnet saying 'home sweet home' in Finnish :smile2: (Here in Finland we send Valentine's Day cards, or rather, Friend's Day cards to our friends on Valentine's Day. It's actually called Friend's Day here in Finland.) She'd also ordered a two month delivery of the local newspaper to me here in Helsinki :smile2: Sweet! 

On top of everything else: I love the Finnish version of The Men from the Ministry. There's a FB group for the Finnish version and I joined it a few years ago. A few days ago, one of the members posted about wanting to order a pin badge, and he'd done a picture that he was thinking of making into the badge. It was a quote from the show with a bowler hat and an umbrella (the show is called 'Bowler Hat and Umbrella' in Finnish). People started commenting on it and soon enough the man was asking if others would be interested in ordering a pin badge if he organized the whole thing. Next thing I know, he's ordered 100 pin badges and today when I got home from work, there was a status update saying he was now taking down names of the people who wanted one, and there were only 99 to spare, as he of course wanted one for himself. I was so worried that I was late to it, but nope, I sent him a private message in time! :smile2: I'm going to get this very cool TMftM-themed pin badge for only 1,60e!! How cool is that :smile2:

Edit: This means I've now acquired more books than have read off the TBR pile... It's 5-3 at the moment. Must get back to TBR soon!!

Edited by frankie

Went to the library on my way to a friend's, and found a copy of Larry McMurtry's Terms of Endearment at the free book swap shelf. Snatched it. I've been curious about it for a while now. It's my sixth acquired book this year...

Luckily I found out that it's on the Rory Gilmore reading challenge list, so I feel better about taking it home with me :giggle:

Edit: I know it's a movie, and a rather popular one, too, I believe, but has anyone read the book? Is it any good?

Edited by frankie

• 3 weeks later...

February summary:

read

February

10 - How To Look for a Lost Dog by Ann M. Martin

The Sense of an Elephant by Marco Missiroli - library loan - abandoned, couldn't get into it. Will try again later as I think I will enjoy it when the mood is right 

Spill Simmer Falter Wither by Sara Baume - library loan - abandoned after 40 pages. Liked the writing but had problems with the narrative and the slowness of the story. Might try again at some point.

11 - Christmas on Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand  - library loan

12 Confess by Colleen Hoover - library loan 

13 -  Edith's Diary by Patricia Highsmith - library loan

What a sad month reading-wise :(Edith's Diary killed my mojo for a while. Also, I'm behind reviews as I've felt no inclination to write any. :rolleyes: I hope March will bring back my mojo! 

Edited by frankie

Hope I get on better with Spill Simmer Falter Wither than you did frankie :unsure: I'm going to save it until my mojo is feeling particularly robust :yes:

Also hope your mojo comes back with a vengeance in March :hug: Don't worry about the reviews .. they will wait until you're ready. No point in forcing them out :D

Sending hugs lovely :hug: :hug:  

Mojo's are pesky things, aren't they?  I had a week off a couple of weeks ago and barely read anything, and now when I'm back at work, my mojo is back on top form again, but I don't have the time I want to read!!!  :doh: 

Hope yours makes its way back to you soon  :friends3: 

Hope I get on better with Spill Simmer Falter Wither than you did frankie :unsure: I'm going to save it until my mojo is feeling particularly robust :yes:

I'm quite sure you'll be fine with it! The writing's beautiful. It's just me: I personally have problems with books that are written in the 'you' form. I can't remember what it's officially called. Brain off at the mo and in a hurry. So don't go by me!! You'll be fine :yes:

Also hope your mojo comes back with a vengeance in March  Don't worry about the reviews .. they will wait until you're ready. No point in forcing them out

Sending hugs lovely :hug:

Yeah reviews can wait :D So can I!! :D Huggles back to you lovely  :hug:

I'm sorry Feb wasn't fab.  Here's to a marvellous March.  :friends3:

Thanks Janet! Although I don't know about March... There's a new plan... 

I hope you have a better March than February, Frankie :friends3:.

Thanks Athena! Although like I said to Jänet, I might have a new plan... 

Mojo's are pesky things, aren't they?  I had a week off a couple of weeks ago and barely read anything, and now when I'm back at work, my mojo is back on top form again, but I don't have the time I want to read!!!  :doh: 

What a trying mojo! :D How do they decide to be so evil and cunniving?? :rolleyes::D 

I thought of a new plan: I've not felt like reading in the past 5 or so days. And it makes me feel guilty and sad. But I don't want to feel guilty and sad, and I don't want to force myself to read because that's not fun. So instead I'm going for a new tactic: I'm going to just NOT read and see how many days I can go happily without reading. (I'm thinking my mojo will feel hurt by me ignoring it and having fun without it, and it will come crying back to me, begging for forgiveness :lol: Well, we'll see about that!!) 

This is day 1.....  :hide:

(Edit: I'm going to be doggy-sitting next week so I'm going to be happily busy doing that and maybe going for long walks with the dogs. So I don't think I'd even have much time for reading next week, what with first going to work and then going straight to see to the dogs. I'll be living at my friend's for the week. Oh and I might not have access to a laptop so I might not be around much.)

Edited by frankie

Doggy sitting was a bit of a disaster, I started having problems breathing the first night. I went to the health center the next day and got an inhalator which proved to be very helpful. But I don't think I'll do any more doggy sitting in the future... Not overnight anyway. I don't want to take any chances. :(

I've been cheating a bit: I've read bits and pieces of a book every night before bed. But not at any other point during the day. In the first days the book would put me right to sleep and I got everything mixed and needed to re-read earlier pages, but I didn't mind... Last night, though, I felt like I was getting more into the story. It's a Finnish novel about people living in detached houses, and it's a crime novel. The main character lived in Australia for a while and now she's moved back to Finland with her Australian husband. It's quite a recent Finnish novel by an author I've never heard of, but I liked the idea of people in the same neighborhood getting into fights and I love crime novels, and of course it was a big bonus that there's an Australian character in the novel :D The main character is my namesake... I mean she has the same first name as I have. Her last name is a bit more unfortunate than mine.... Her name is Sari Maycock :giggle2::D

What else... Work's going great, my employer is so relaxed and so much fun! :smile2: She was reading a Finnish novel I'd borrowed for her from the library but it wasn't going anywhere... Then she mentioned she'd like to see the movie Room and I gasped and said she has to read the book as it was my favorite book of the year back when I read it and she got interested in the novel and then I went and reserved a copy for her. It arrived today and I was able to take it to her today. She said she was fed up with the Finnish novel and wanted to start Room immediately. When I was about to start with the chores, she said she'd read the first page to see if it's any good, and when I talked to her later, she'd already gotten to page 40 or so :D

Edited by frankie