Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far what I've read has been in English, but I own Dutch books (translations) by her as well. My favourite so far is Murder on the Orient Express though that is a very famous one so undoubtedly considered one of the better ones in general. I read some Miss Marple as well but I do prefer the Hercule Poirot's so far and wasn't overly keen on the Miss Marple novels. It seemed to be more 'detectiving' and deducing in Hercule Poirot, whereas Miss Marple was more of, I guess what you call a cozy mystery, where there's not that much tension but also lots of things about the characters and fun stuff. If that makes any sense. I haven't read any Tommy and Tuppence or Superintendent Battle yet. I own way more Agatha Christie books I've read, but all in good time. If you do decide to try any Agatha Christie book(s), I hope you enjoy it / them :).

I've finished my library loans! I originally loaned these books (see below) for the read-a-thon but I didn't end up participating in the read-a-thon because I didn't feel in the mood.

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 42: De Ontdekking van de Superparel (Il Mistero della Perla Gigante)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 68: De Schat van Paaseiland (Il Tesoro di Rapa Nui)

Geronimo Stilton - Rode Reeks 3: De Gruwelshow (Una Sdilata da Brivido)

Geronimo Stilton - De Zwarte Piraat (Le Avventure del Corsaro Nero)

As always I enjoyed reading the Stiltons.

Luc Embrechts and Gilliom - Vampierzootje 1: Het Vampierelixer

Luc Embrechts and Eric Bouwens - Uitvinderszootje 2: Aquasfeer X56A

I really liked reading these two books, they were funny.

Kid Kat (ill. Eric Bouwens) - Kid Kat 2: Operatie Tijger

This was nice but unfortunately ended on a cliffhanger so I'll have to see if I can find the next book at the library some time.

Bavo Dhooge, Nico De Braeckeleer, Samuel Dhooge, Steven Dhondt - Don Kameleon 1: Don Kameleon en de Toverdrank van Professor Croque

Bavo Dhooge, Nico De Braeckeleer, Samuel Dhooge, Steven Dhondt - Don Kameleon 5: Don Kameleon en de Tijdspoort

I enjoyed reading these two books, book 5 in particular as it had a twist near the end I didn't see coming.

David Walliams (ill. Tony Ross) - The World's Worst Children

This was really good. I liked the illustrations and the stories were usually funny.

Simone Arts and Tante Beun - Fashion Academy 1: Flamenco Meets Flowerpower

Simone Arts and Tante Beun - Fashion Academy 2: Sport Meets Safari

I quite liked these two books.

Tommy Donbavand (ill. Tom Percival) - Zombie! (Zombie!)

This was a nice story, nothing brilliant but nice enough to read.

Gary Northfield - Julius Zebra 2: Bundle with the Britons!

I really liked this book, it was funny and is similar to book 1 in humour and style. Nice illustrations too.

Mathilda Masters and Georgien Overwater - De Keukenprins Van Mocano 1: Het Geheim Achter Het Fornuis

This was an enjoyable book, though if I have to give it one complaint it says on the front 'for fans of' and then the 'Treehouse' books and I don't quite see how the two series are similar.

Tommy Greenwald and J. P. Coovert - Otto-Jan 1: Otto-Jan Zegt Nee Tegen Lezen (Charlie Joe Jackson 1: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading)

Tommy Greenwald and J. P. Coovert - Otto-Jan 3: Otto-Jan YOLO Tegen Vakantie (Charlie Joe Jackson 3: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation)

I read book 2 of this series a while ago and was happy when I found books 1 and 3 at the library. I enjoyed reading these books, they were funny.

James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein - Mijn Broer de Robot 1: Mijn Broer de Robot (House of Robots 1: House of Robots)

I wasn't expecting much from this because I've heard not so great things about James Patterson. But I was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice story with nice illustrations. I quite liked E and grew to like him over the course of the story. My only complaint is that on the cover James Patterson's name is printed in a much bigger font than Chris Grabenstein's name, which makes me think they're trying to sell the book based on James Patterson's name. Of course, I don't know which of the authors did what or whether maybe Chris Grabenstein is the illustrator or something. Inside the book both names are of a much more equal size font.

Cressida Cowell Hoe Tem Je Een Draak 2: Hoe Wordt Je Een Piraat (How To Train Your Dragon 2: How To Be A Pirate)

Cressida Cowell Hoe Tem Je Een Draak 4: Hoe Bezweer Je Een Draak (How To Train Your Dragon 4: How To Cheat A Dragon's Curse)

These books are quite different from the How To Train Your Dragon films. I quite like the films, but the books are quite different. Of course, since I read the Dutch translations the character names are all translated so it's hard to connect characters from the books to the films other than a few (because I watch the films in English). Out of these two books, book 4 was definitely my favourite. Book 2 was a bit more predictable to me but I did enjoy it. Book 4 had several unexpected twists that I really liked.

Laura Owen and Korky Paul Hennie de Lachende Heks (Winnie and Wilbur: Winnie's Big Cackling Book)

This book really scared me the first time I opened it. There's a thing inside that makes a laughing / cackling sound when you open the book on literally the first pages (the pages without any text.) I was almost put off to read it, but tried my best not to have the book open in those beginning pages. Anyway, the book itself contains short stories about a witch and her cat. I liked it but it wasn't as great as some of the other books I read in November.

LibraryLoansSpines_025.jpg

Note 1: The very bottom thing in the pile is a Dutch magazine.

Note 2: For a review of George and the HOI book, see earlier in this thread.

LibraryLoansCovers1_025.jpg

LibraryLoansCovers6_0125.jpg

LibraryLoansCovers2_025.jpg

LibraryLoansCovers3_025.jpg

LibraryLoansCovers4_025.jpg

LibraryLoansCovers5_025.jpg

So far what I've read has been in English, but I own Dutch books (translations) by her as well. My favourite so far is Murder on the Orient Express though that is a very famous one so undoubtedly considered one of the better ones in general. I read some Miss Marple as well but I do prefer the Hercule Poirot's so far and wasn't overly keen on the Miss Marple novels. It seemed to be more 'detectiving' and deducing in Hercule Poirot, whereas Miss Marple was more of, I guess what you call a cozy mystery, where there's not that much tension but also lots of things about the characters and fun stuff. If that makes any sense. I haven't read any Tommy and Tuppence or Superintendent Battle yet. I own way more Agatha Christie books I've read, but all in good time. If you do decide to try any Agatha Christie book(s), I hope you enjoy it / them :).

The Tommy & Tuppence ones are really good. :) Though they are more of a spy/adventure type genre than a detective one.

The Tommy & Tuppence ones are really good. :) Though they are more of a spy/adventure type genre than a detective one.

Good to know those things, thanks :).

Those covers look lovely ; especially the Stilton ones with the mice.  :D

Thanks, I agree :D.

I got some new loans from the library:

Geronimo Stilton - Duizend Monsters, Wat Een Feest! (Il Tenebroso Libro dei Mostrilli)

Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rozen 4: De Feeën van de Zeven Zeeën (Il Segreto delle Fate degli Oceani)

William Sutcliffe (ill. David Tazzyman) - Het Dievencircus 1: Het Dievencircus en de Grote Verdwijntruc (Circus of Thieves 1: Circus of Thieves and the Raffle of Doom)

William Sutcliffe (ill. David Tazzyman) - Het Dievencircus 2: Het Dievencircus en de Ongelooflijke Ontmaskering (Circus of Thieves 2: Circus of Thieves on the Rampage)

Phil Earle - Demolition Dad

David Solomons - My Brother is a Superhero 1: My Brother is a Superhero

David Walliams (ill. Quentin Blake) - Mr Stink (Mr Stink)

James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts (ill. Laura Park) - Rotschool 1: De Ergste Jaren Van Mijn Leven (Middle School 1: The Worst Years Of My Life)

Mac Barnett and Jory John (ill. Kevin Cornell) - De Vreselijke Twee 1: De Vreselijke Twee (The Terrible Two 1: The Terrible Two)

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje 4: Weerwolvenbos

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje 5: Boze Drieling

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje 10: Weerwolfbende

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje 13: Weerwolfhooikoorts

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje: Lief Weerwolfdagboek

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje 15: MeerMonster

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje 16: Weerwolvensoep

Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje: Weerwolfbommetje

nDurlie, Nic Balthazar - Ben X

David Walliams (ill. Tony Ross) - The Slightly Annoying Elephant

Liz Pichon - Fluffy and Scruffy: A Tale of Two Kittens

Ben Clanton - Rex Wrecks It!

Nicola O'Byrne - The Last Book Before Bedtime

(& 2 magazines)

NewLibraryLoansSpines_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers1_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers2_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers3_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers4_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers5_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers6_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers7_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers8_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers9_025.jpg

NewLibraryLoansCovers10_025.jpg

November 2016 Summary

Books read: 30

Pages read: 5773

Books read in the read-a-thon: N/A

Pages read in the read-a-thon: N/A

Books read outside of the read-a-thon: 30

Pages read outside of the read-a-thon: 5773

Most impressive / Favourites of the month:

Lucy Diamond - The Beach Café 1: The Beach Café

Lucy Diamond - The Beach Café: Christmas at the Beach Café

Lucy Diamond - The Beach Café: Christmas Gifts at the Beach Café

Alex Gino - George

George Mahood - Every Day is a Holiday 1: Every Day is a Holiday

David Walliams (ill. Tony Ross) - The World's Worst Children

Gary Northfield - Julius Zebra 2: Bundle with the Britons!

Slightly less my favourites but still really good, this month:

George Mahood - Every Day is a Holiday 2: Life's a Beach

Francine Oomen and Annet Schaap - Hoe Overleef Ik... Strips 3: Hoe Overleef Ik De Brugklas?

Simone Arts and Tante Beun - Fashion Academy 1: Flamenco Meets Flowerpower

Simone Arts and Tante Beun - Fashion Academy 2: Sport Meets Safari

Luc Embrechts and Gilliom - Vampierzootje 1: Het Vampierelixer

Luc Embrechts and Eric Bouwens - Uitvinderszootje 2: Aquasfeer X56A

Bavo Dhooge, Nico De Braeckeleer, Samuel Dhooge, Steven Dhondt - Don Kameleon 1: Don Kameleon en de Toverdrank van Professor Croque

Bavo Dhooge, Nico De Braeckeleer, Samuel Dhooge, Steven Dhondt - Don Kameleon 5: Don Kameleon en de Tijdspoort

Mathilda Masters and Georgien Overwater - De Keukenprins Van Mocano 1: Het Geheim Achter Het Fornuis

Tommy Greenwald and J. P. Coovert - Otto-Jan 1: Otto-Jan Zegt Nee Tegen Lezen (Charlie Joe Jackson 1: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading)

Tommy Greenwald and J. P. Coovert - Otto-Jan 3: Otto-Jan YOLO Tegen Vakantie (Charlie Joe Jackson 3: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation)

James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein - Mijn Broer de Robot 1: Mijn Broer de Robot (House of Robots 1: House of Robots)

Cressida Cowell Hoe Tem Je Een Draak 4: Hoe Bezweer Je Een Draak (How To Train Your Dragon 4: How To Cheat A Dragon's Curse)

Biggest disappointment(s) / Least favourite(s) of the month:

N/A

Shortest books read this month:

Agatha Christie - The Double Clue & Other Hercule Poirot Stories (88 pages)

Longest books read this month:

Lucy Diamond - The Beach Café 1: The Beach Café (490 pages)

Other notes:

Towards the end of the month I started to feel less like reading.

My dad was invited to have lunch with the King and Queen and 26 other award winners (from various fields). He was invited because of the award he won a little while ago for his work in science and technology. Anyway, while he was there, he spent a while talking with this Dutch author named Esther Verhoef, who'd won a prize for her books. I've read a few of her books and my dad has read one or two as well. He told her about me! I loved hearing from him about her and her life and what he told her about me. He told her I read lots of books.

She is a famous Dutch author, I don't think many of you would know her though, I'm not sure if her books were ever translated into English (they have been translated into other languages though). She has written literary thrillers but also literary fiction, a memoir and even an encyclopedia about chicken.

She's not one of my favourite Dutch authors or anything, but I have liked the books I read by her. Anyway, I thought it was quite cool my dad talked with her for a while and told her about me. I personally have never talked with an author in real life and only a couple of times I communicated with an author online, but that was limited to a 'I liked your book' sort of thing.

I thought I'd share this 'experience' with the people here on this forum :).

That is so cool!! And first of all, your Dad was invited to have lunch with the King and the Queen? So cool!! :D And then to hear he'd talked with an author and had told her about you? Wow :D That's very rare! I'll now google to see if her books have been translated into Finnish... 

Edit: the library doesn't have any Finnish copies of her books, but they have English copies for the chicken encyclopedia, Rendezvous, Close-Up, and an encyclopedia of cats and dogs, too. 

Edited by frankie

That is so cool!! And first of all, your Dad was invited to have lunch with the King and the Queen? So cool!! :D And then to hear he'd talked with an author and had told her about you? Wow :D That's very rare! I'll now google to see if her books have been translated into Finnish... 

Edit: the library doesn't have any Finnish copies of her books, but they have English copies for the chicken encyclopedia, Rendezvous, Close-Up, and an encyclopedia of cats and dogs, too.

Thanks Frankie :friends3:. I own both Rendezvous and Close-Up but I haven't read those yet (I read Erken Mij, Nouveau Riche & Andere Spannende Verhalen and Tegenlicht). If you do decide to borrow any of her books, I hope you enjoy them :).

x

What a great honour for your dad, and how exciting!

x

Thanks Madeleine :).

Congrats to your Dad ! :D

x

Thanks Sarah :D.

The King and Queen? I'm so jealous, I want to meet royalty :P Congratulations to your dad!

x

Thanks Anna :).

x

For the read-a-thon, and after, I read most of my library loans:

Geronimo Stilton - Duizend Monsters, Wat Een Feest! (Il Tenebroso Libro dei Mostrilli)

Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rozen 4: De Feeën van de Zeven Zeeën (Il Segreto delle Fate degli Oceani)

I enjoyed reading these two Stilton books.

nDurlie, Nic Balthazar - Ben X

This is the graphic novel based on the Belgian movie. I liked it a lot.

David Walliams (ill. Tony Ross) - The Slightly Annoying Elephant

This was nice but not as nice at the two other picture books I've read by the author.

Liz Pichon - Fluffy and Scruffy: A Tale of Two Kittens

This was nice.

Ben Clanton - Rex Wrecks It!

This was nice.

Nicola O'Byrne - The Last Book Before Bedtime

This was quite clever, with fourth-wall breaking stuff.

David Walliams (ill. Quentin Blake) - Mr Stink (Mr Stink)

This was a nice book, it was funny and endearing.

James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts (ill. Laura Park) - Rotschool 1: De Ergste Jaren Van Mijn Leven (Middle School 1: The Worst Years Of My Life)

This was nice and funny, I liked it.

Jory John and Mac Barnett (ill. Kevin Cornell) - De Vreselijke Twee 1: De Vreselijke Twee (The Terrible Two 1: The Terrible Two)

This was nice and funny, it was quite good.

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 4: Weerwolvenbos

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 5: Boze Drieling

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 10: Weerwolfbende

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 13: Weerwolfhooikoorts

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje: Lief Weerwolfdagboek

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 15: MeerMonster

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje 16: Weerwolvensoep

Paul van Loon (ill. Hugo van Look) - Dolfje Weerwolfje: Weerwolfbommetje!

I enjoyed reading these books in the Dolfje Weerwolfje series. I enjoyed the bigger books more than the smaller ones (the ones without a series number are the smaller ones). I quite liked particularly the longer books. I love these characters. I definitely want to go back to that section in the library some time and see if I can borrow more books in the series (that I haven't read yet).

I'm currently reading David Solomons - My Brother is a Superhero 1: My Brother is a Superhero and after that there are 3 library loans left to read. I don't know if I'll read all 3 though. I'm going to hand them in soon and I don't know if I'll feel in the mood for all 3 of them before that time, we'll see.

Belated congratulations to your Dad!  That was a wonderful experience for him.  And on top of that to meet an author that is so well thought of!  Of course he spoke of you to her, I know how proud of you he is, and you him.  :friends3:

Great lists above too!  :)

Belated congratulations to your Dad!  That was a wonderful experience for him.  And on top of that to meet an author that is so well thought of!  Of course he spoke of you to her, I know how proud of you he is, and you him.  :friends3:

Great lists above too!  :)

Thanks Kate :friends3:. I'm very proud of my dad :).

I read:

David Solomons - My Brother is a Superhero 1: My Brother is a Superhero

This book was interesting. The subtitle on the cover of the book reads "I could've been one too, but I needed a wee..." which is exactly how the book begins (My brother is a superhero. I could've been...). I quite liked this book. It's got humour and nice characters, action and there are a lot of superhero references.

Phil Earle (ill. Sara Ogilvie) - Demolition Dad

This book was nice, though I could predict a couple of plot points. But it was a nice read. It's about a boy who loves wrestling and a dad who likes to wrestle (but it's a secret between the family members). Jake wants his dad to make it as a global wrestler, because the dad defeats all the wrestlers from the village they live in. Anyway, it was nice.

I've decided not to read the two remaining library loans and plan to hand them all in soon. Now I plan to read some of my own books, but I'll probably first do some cataloguing.

Thanks! I plan on reading some Christmassy books before it's Christmas - but it will depend on my mood what I feel like reading. So far I haven't really been in the reading mood, I'm afraid :(. But I have been busy with books - I've been editing my spreadsheet to make it ready for the new year (and I'm changing and adding some things).

I read Chrissie Manby - A Fairy Tale for Christmas. I quite liked this book. I didn't like it as much as my favourite books by the author (that would be the Proper Family novels), but I liked it a lot. This is a festive Christmassy read and I always like to read a book like this just before Christmas. I really liked the characters in this book - minus one, but you're supposed to not like him. I wish the book had had some kind of epilogue or had gone on beyond the ending, but I can also see why the author ended the story when and how she did (which was well done). I really enjoyed reading this book. I also quite like the cover, it's got some extra sparkly bits (you probably can't see it on a cover image though). I do like it when covers have something special like that.