Man Booker 2015

Ben

So the shortlist for the 2015 Man Booker prize has just been announced and there's already a lot of discussion floating around the web about the picks.

I only read four from the longlist, but three - the books I enjoyed (and two I loved), incidentally - made the cut. I think people are a bit surprised that Enright's The Green Road didn't make the last six, but having not read it I can't really comment - and I loved Satin Island but it seems to have been generally negatively received. Without reading the rest, I think A Little Life should win. It absolutely blew me away.

One good thing though: I have until October 13 to read the remaining three books on the list. Should be do-able.

Full list:

Satin Island by Tom McCarthy

A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler

The Year of the Runaways by Sunjeev Sahota

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma

Has anyone else read any of the nominees, or do you plan to?

I've been on the fence about ordering A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.  I know I'll end up getting it sooner or later. :)

In the past I've ordered several of the nominees of the short list, and been generally disappointed.  So, no more of that for me. 

A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James is one I have in my collection, but have never read. The others I don't own or have even considered owning really.

Been hearing good things about this one, want to get around to it next I think.

None of those authors are familiar to me, I'm afraid.  I might have a look at the books though.  

You should have a quick read through the synopsis' and see if any take your fancy.

I've been on the fence about ordering A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.  I know I'll end up getting it sooner or later. :)

In the past I've ordered several of the nominees of the short list, and been generally disappointed.  So, no more of that for me. 

I LOVED A Little Life. Thought it was a real emotional rollercoaster of a novel and I really hope it wins.

Yeah, I've never really thought that lists like this are a good indicator of great reads, to be honest. Half the time they've been nominated because they're a bit "different" or "out there". Which really doesn't necessarily translate into a great page-turner - it just means the critics have deemed it "literary" enough to make the cut.

Ben, I have to agree with your analysis of the reasoning of the Booker people.  And that isn't a completely bad thing.  It's good in that it gets some readers out of a rut, perhaps.  Hopefully it gets some of us to think outside of the box.  Exploration of other/different books/genres is always a good thing.  I think it makes us appreciate what we already know a bit more.  And if that isn't the case, it opens our minds.

The best of both worlds would be both! 

I know I was stuck in a rut in my reading.  It wasn't until (I blush to admit) I was in my 50's that I bloomed as a reader.  I mean bloomed as in getting away from History, mysteries, historical mysteries, sagas, etc.  Not that it was a bad thing!  I enjoyed myself and learned quite a lot.  But.  About 11 years ago I was introduced to Vladimir Nabokov........and the love affair began. :D  Now I'll try about any book on any shelf.  At least once.

• 4 weeks later...