Alice's Awkward Book Blog

alicedrinkwater

It's frustrating and maddening when life keeps you from reading a book as much as you would like to. :banghead:

They just promoted a girl at work who has not liked me from day one to a supervisor, so it's time for me to look for another job.

I've never let her use me for her own purposes, so she has held that against me. I hate politics in the workplace. :(

:o That seems radical having to move job though! Unless you are not really too bothered about the place of course.

Oh, I work in a very crappy retail environment. I've only been there a little over a year and have no loyalty to the company. I could do the same job somewhere else.

I'm sorry to hear about your work related news  :empathy:  It's really the pits when there are people at work with whom one doesn't get along, especially if they hold a superior position :no:

I was so shocked when this girl was promoted. Multiple employees have major issues with her. I guess her nasty attitude and aggressiveness is what they look for in managers, though.

I'm so sorry to hear of your work related news :(.

Thanks! I'll deal with it, just not happy about it.

That sounds very unpleasant, I remember a supervisor I once had about 10 years ago who totally had it in for me, but loved the other girl who started the same day as me. The other girl was lovely, but very outspoken, and I was very quiet. The supervisor was miserable anyway, for her to like the other girl was unusual, but it really bothered me.

Good luck finding something new :)

I was so shocked when this girl was promoted. Multiple employees have major issues with her. I guess her nasty attitude and aggressiveness is what they look for in managers, though.

I can sort of see why they'd promote her, because she won't hesitate to delegate the crappiest jobs and give people bad news and stuff, with her attitude. However, they should know better that with a supervisor/boss like that, everyone will hate the work and will do a poorer job :( 

I hope you can find another job soon! It's a crappy situation, but it feels like you haven't been all that happy to work there to begin with, and so this might be just the sort of thing you needed to find a better fit!  :empathy:

Thank you, frankie. It's a picture from an illustrated version of my favorite book; Little, Big.

I bought that a few months ago but haven't got around to it yet, it looks great though.

I hope your new supervisor isn't too bad :console:

Edited by Timstar

Sorry to hear that Alice .. you're right to look for something else .. people like that can make one's life a misery! :( Hope you find something else soon .. good luck! 

Thank you, poppy!

That sounds very unpleasant, I remember a supervisor I once had about 10 years ago who totally had it in for me, but loved the other girl who started the same day as me. The other girl was lovely, but very outspoken, and I was very quiet. The supervisor was miserable anyway, for her to like the other girl was unusual, but it really bothered me.

Good luck finding something new :)

Thank you, Nollaig. It is very unpleasant. I know what you mean about being very quiet. In my own way, I'm not an outgoing person. I can talk to people, and I have opinions, but I prefer to keep to myself and many don't understand that. The ones that do end up being my closest friends. :)

I can sort of see why they'd promote her, because she won't hesitate to delegate the crappiest jobs and give people bad news and stuff, with her attitude. However, they should know better that with a supervisor/boss like that, everyone will hate the work and will do a poorer job :(

I hope you can find another job soon! It's a crappy situation, but it feels like you haven't been all that happy to work there to begin with, and so this might be just the sort of thing you needed to find a better fit!  :empathy:

That is true, frankie. That's one of the reasons I would never want to be a supervisor. Some part of me would always feel guilty when I had to delegate crappy jobs or fire someone. At least she doesn't have the power to fire me. :D

I bought that a few months ago but haven't got around to it yet, it looks great though.

I hope your new supervisor isn't too bad :console:

Timstar, it truly is a great novel, so different. Yes, it's fantasy, but it's not like any other fantasy I have read. The fantasy is implied, rather than overt, which created such an overwhelming feeling of being not quite asleep, not quite awake. That's the best I can describe it. It just filled me with such an awesome sense of wonder, longing, and sadness.

I won't let her get to me too much. I'll just ignore her. I do my job, so what is she going to do to me? ;)

Thank you, Nollaig. It is very unpleasant. I know what you mean about being very quiet. In my own way, I'm not an outgoing person. I can talk to people, and I have opinions, but I prefer to keep to myself and many don't understand that. The ones that do end up being my closest friends. :)

I am exactly the same! :D

I am exactly the same! :D

:D

Well, I've abandoned the last two books I tried, The Redemption of Althalus, which I will not pick up again and What Maisie Knew, which I will try again. It's a good book, I'm just not in the mindset for it right now.

I did finish The Doll, a book of very early short stories by Daphne Du Maurier but have yet to leave my thoughts. I will some time soon. The stories were mostly surprisingly good. :smile: