Tennis

supergran71

It was an odd day in Wimbledon today. All of the 'fab four' had tough games, with the exception of Murray.

Tsonga beating Federer was more a shock because of the fact he was two sets up and had been playing some of the best tennis in his career in this year's Wimbledon, carrying on from the French. Don't get me wrong, Tsonga is capable of beating anyone on his day and is use to big occasions.

Tomic was always going to be a tricky opponent for Djokovic. He is young and unpredictable. You don't know if he's going to hit a crushing winner or another of his many unforced errors. This is what made it difficult for Novak today and you could tell. Tomic has got the game to be a huge star in the not too distant future because it is one hell of an achievement to get through to the Quarter-Finals of the hardest slam at 18.

Murray was more comfortable than he thought he would be, Lopez is a decent player on grass and has a good record of reaching two quarter finals, so he was not to be sniffed at. It was a very encouraging display, followed on from the Gasquet performance really. He did have the easiest win today but I suspect he still had the easiet draw.

Nadal did well because Fish has been playing the tennis of his life. He has lost a lot of weight and really got his game back on track. He is a good grass court player and is currently America's number one tennis player.

In the semi-finals, I can see Novak having just about too much for Tsonga as he wins in five and Nadal will win in four against Murray. I can still see Nadal going on to win this thing because he's the number one and you have to back him, the only thing that can stop him is any injury.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great stuff from our man Andy......here is hoping he puts up a good fight against Nadal today.:cool:

Hopefully. It'll be a much bigger challenge than anything he's done so far, but if he sticks at it he'll give him a good match.

I'm not seeing it Inver. Don't get me wrong I'd love him to win, but I really don't think he's got enough in the tank to take out Nadal; though let's hope I'm wrong.

Djokovic looking very comfortable in this second set against Tsonga, so looking like a 2-0 set lead. Can the Frenchman pull out another miracle? I doubt it this time.

I'm not seeing it Inver. Don't get me wrong I'd love him to win, but I really don't think he's got enough in the tank to take out Nadal; though let's hope I'm wrong.

Djokovic looking very comfortable in this second set against Tsonga, so looking like a 2-0 set lead. Can the Frenchman pull out another miracle? I doubt it this time.

Its a great match though isn't it....loving the way both are playing though the first set was better than the second.

Looking forward to this afternoons game I am a massive Nadal fan he is such a great tennis player and a great sportsman.

Its a great match though isn't it....loving the way both are playing though the first set was better than the second.

Looking forward to this afternoons game I am a massive Nadal fan he is such a great tennis player and a great sportsman.

It is a good game, both are playing very well and Tsonga's giving his all which is all he can do. I feel a little for him here, actually. He's knocked out Federer in what was probably one of the best games in his career, and now he's trying to give a good account of himself here and Novak is just moving and playing so well, giving him no chance at all. As for the Murray game, it's going to be a fantastic game; he'll be coming out fighting I'm sure.

Edited by Ben

So Djokovic does it. Was mildly surprised to see Nadal lose it, but it does make sense, as Novak is formidable. In any case, fantastic final, even if a little one-sided. I was disappointed in Nadal, but what can you do? Novak has been sensational over this year and all the signs pointed to him winning Wimbledon in the end. We all know anything can happen in Wimbledon though, and it wasn't set in stone with Nadal lining up against him in the final; Rafa has played brilliantly, as he always does, at Wimbledon this year. In any case, I enjoyed the final and this year's Wimbledon. Congratulations to Novak Djokovic who takes Wimbledon and the number one spot in tennis; fantastic.

Djokovic played an incredible game against Nadal. Anything Nadal threw at him, Djokovic had an answer with his super human returning, defensive play and athleticism around the court. He was winning all the rallies and the second set was genuis.

This guy has one truly remarkable year, one which he has dominated with 50 wins out of 51 and two Grand Slams to go with it. He is the dominant force in men's tennis at the moment and will win slam after slam for sure if he continues this super human performance. It is five wins in a row now against Rafa. The last six months have been the greatest performance by a male in tennis history.

This guy has one truly remarkable year, one which he has dominated with 50 wins out of 51 and two Grand Slams to go with it. He is the dominant force in men's tennis at the moment and will win slam after slam for sure if he continues this super human performance. It is five wins in a row now against Rafa. The last six months have been the greatest performance by a male in tennis history.

I have to agree with everything you say; simply felt like we were witnessing the culmination of an incredible, historic season for Novak, who is just destroying the field at the moment. I struggle to bet against Nadal winning a match usually, and if Djokovic has beaten him five times in a row, I think that says it all.

Sorry haven't been on much. Wasn't in the huff cause Andy lost etc, I did watch the final. Djokovic played like Nadal played against Andy. Nothing he could have done to win that match. He deserved to win.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic turn around v Hasse from Andy Murray.....hope he finished him off.

Phew....that wasn't as easy as thought it was gonna be!

Edited by Inver

• 9 months later...

I'll watch it so long as Ana Ivanovic is in it :wub:

Maria Sharapova. <3

:roll::roll2: :roll2: :roll:

Maria Sharapova?? I have to watch her with the sound down :D guess that would still suit you Ben ;)

Heather Watson did brilliantly yesterday .. yay!! Fingers crossed Andy does well :smile:

Maria Sharapova?? I have to watch her with the sound down :D guess that would still suit you Ben ;)

I'm saying nothing. :lol:

Andy was excellent today. 6-1, 6-1, 6-4, is certainly nothing to frown at. Let's hope he continues through in good form.

Nadal's incredible. I was slightly nervous when he went 4-0 down in the first set, but he was just adjusting to the surface and soon got back to playing excellently.

I happened to tune in when he was 4-0 down and like you I was a bit worried but then I remembered about how Nadal plays, he lets a few games slide just to figure out how his opponent plays and how he should play against them then once he's figured it out he lets loose and beats them 3 sets to 0 (like today). Also I think there may have been some adjustment to be had as they were both left handed which is probably why Nadal didn't get straight to it (just guessing there really). He is such a pleasure to watch and a great sportsman.

I do have to put it out there that I'm not the biggest fan of Andy Murray, I can appreciate that he's a decent player and all and I'm glad he's doing well for the country but I just don't take to he, can't quite define why though