Your Book Activity - April 2015

frankie

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on Part 3 (of 3, or 6, depending) of Contamination by TW Piperbrook and about 12% into Phillip K Dick's A Scanner Darkly.  World Without End has been put on the back burner for a bit, but not by choice.

I'm already a quarter of the way through The Curvy Girls Club by Michele Gorman - I love it!  I'm so pleased Michele did one of the author visits on the forum a while back, I've read nearly all her books since then, and I've really enjoyed them all, but this one speaks to me especially.

I've somehow managed to finish The Curvy Girls Club already! I loved it, possibly my favourite of Michele's books so far. :D

Next up, the jar has thrown out an English Counties Challenge book … Wuthering Heights  :hide:  

I really didn't like it when I read it years ago, but maybe I've grown up and can appreciate it more now.  Fingers crossed :unsure:

I finished Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde, really loved it. Review to follow. I've a few choices now, might stick with the adult fiction for a bit, so I've started Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, will see how it goes. After that might go back to YA for a little bit.

Also in a charity shop today, I found Inkheart by Cornelia Funke for 3 euro. I gave away my copy of it to someone a couple years back, and haven't had one since, so it's nice to have a copy of one of my favourite books back in my possession :)

In a big rut right now. Never in the mood to read and every other night is playoff hockey, so that's three hours or more spent. I'm sure I'll get it back eventually but right now I'm just blehhh. 

I finished Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde, really loved it.

:jump:

I've a few choices now, might stick with the adult fiction for a bit, so I've started Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, will see how it goes.

I'll be interested what you say because we have sort of have the same taste and this is on the short list for my trip :)  Actually, I hope the 5 weeks go by quick because my list keeps growing :lol:

Read all day in Phillip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly.  Enjoying it A LOT!  Was supposed to read it with Athena, lagging behind because of illness :roll:

Next up, the jar has thrown out an English Counties Challenge book … Wuthering Heights  :hide:  

I really didn't like it when I read it years ago, but maybe I've grown up and can appreciate it more now.  Fingers crossed :unsure:

I hope you get on with it better this time. 

I finished Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde, really loved it. Review to follow. I've a few choices now, might stick with the adult fiction for a bit, so I've started Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, will see how it goes. After that might go back to YA for a little bit.

Also in a charity shop today, I found Inkheart by Cornelia Funke for 3 euro. I gave away my copy of it to someone a couple years back, and haven't had one since, so it's nice to have a copy of one of my favourite books back in my possession :)

I hope you enjoy your new book :)! I have the trilogy on my TBR but I haven't read them yet.

In a big rut right now. Never in the mood to read and every other night is playoff hockey, so that's three hours or more spent. I'm sure I'll get it back eventually but right now I'm just blehhh.

I hope you will feel more like reading soon. 

I'll be interested what you say because we have sort of have the same taste and this is on the short list for my trip :)  Actually, I hope the 5 weeks go by quick because my list keeps growing :lol:

Read all day in Phillip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly.  Enjoying it A LOT!  Was supposed to read it with Athena, lagging behind because of illness :roll:

Haha, I recognise that :giggle2:.

Don't worry, I'll still be happy to discuss it even if you are a bit later with finishing it :friends0:.

I'm on page 306 out of 796 in Peter F. Hamtilon: The Void Trilogy 1: The Dreaming Void, so far I'm enjoying it. I'm not sure yet how some of the characters / story lines are connected to one another, but I'm sure I'll find out in due time. I also read some more in the couple of information books I'm reading.

Started both Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren and Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid this morning … yep, it's one of those days! :D

Two great reads! And I hope Wuthering Heights goes better for you this time around. :)

Started both Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren and Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid this morning … yep, it's one of those days! :D

I've read Pippi Lockstocking (or Pippy Langkous in Dutch) when I was a child (I don't remember much of it), and I want to read it again some day (I bought it last year at a library sale). Have you read it before? I hope you enjoy both books :).

I don't have a book jar or for the most part a reading list. I kinda go by-the-seat-of-my-pants and read what hits me at the time. I think though that my next read, or the one after, will be a Jasper Fforde book. There are about 3 or 4 kindle  versions available that I haven't read at the library

I've read more of Burial Rites and I'm weirdly enjoying it, despite not thinking it's as astounding as some people seem to think it is. The writing seems a tad pretentious, and the characters rather flat, but I'm enjoying it all the same.

Think I'm also gonna re-read the copy of Inkheart I bought, its been years.

I've read more of Burial Rites and I'm weirdly enjoying it, despite not thinking it's as astounding as some people seem to think it is. The writing seems a tad pretentious, and the characters rather flat, but I'm enjoying it all the same.

I read this recently, and really liked it. Hope it picks up a bit for you. :smile:

My book jar has selected The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. At the start of the book it says I should select Publishers Fonts, but that option isn't available on my Kindle for this book. Has anyone else had this with the Kindle version? :o

My book jar has selected The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. At the start of the book it says I should select Publishers Fonts, but that option isn't available on my Kindle for this book. Has anyone else had this with the Kindle version? :o

My Kindle has never said anything like that for any book, so I'm sorry I can't be of much help :(. In my paperbook version, there were sections in a different font (I believe they were like diary entries), could that be maybe why it is asking you that? I hope you will be able to read the book :(. I really enjoyed the book, so I hope you will be able to read it and enjoy it.

EDIT: I'm half way now in The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton, and I'm enjoying it. There are some really nice action scenes in the book and also some scenes that are more slower paced. It's an enjoyable story and I look forward to read the rest of the book, and then the other two books in the Void trilogy.

Edited by Athena

Two great reads! And I hope Wuthering Heights goes better for you this time around. :)

Thanks Kylie, but I've put it back in the jar for now :blush:  The Northanger Abbey is the modern retelling by Val McDermid, and it's the first one of these I've read so I'm intrigued to see how it goes.  I've never read any of her work before as I don't like that sort of crime novel, but it's a Jane Austen story I know and love, so I'm hoping to enjoy it.  The bit I've read was certainly very easy to read, and I fell straight into it.  I've also got Joanna Trollope's Sense and Sensibility to read at some point too, and Alexander McCall Smith's Emma has been published as well now, but it's still in hardback, so waiting for the cheaper paperback and Kindle editions to come out. :)

My Kindle has never said anything like that for any book, so I'm sorry I can't be of much help :(. In my paperbook version, there were sections in a different font (I believe they were like diary entries), could that be maybe why it is asking you that? I hope you will be able to read the book :(. I really enjoyed the book, so I hope you will be able to read it and enjoy it.

This is the first time I have seen it recommended for a book. Many of the reviews say that it makes such a difference to read it in the Publisher's Font, so I am wary of starting it until I can figure out how to do it. I've re-downloaded it to my Kindle in the hopes that it is an updated version, but no luck. :doh:

Thanks Kylie, but I've put it back in the jar for now :blush:  The Northanger Abbey is the modern retelling by Val McDermid, and it's the first one of these I've read so I'm intrigued to see how it goes.  I've never read any of her work before as I don't like that sort of crime novel, but it's a Jane Austen story I know and love, so I'm hoping to enjoy it.  The bit I've read was certainly very easy to read, and I fell straight into it.  I've also got Joanna Trollope's Sense and Sensibility to read at some point too, and Alexander McCall Smith's Emma has been published as well now, but it's still in hardback, so waiting for the cheaper paperback and Kindle editions to come out. :)

Bah, they should give the books different names so it's not so confusing! There are plenty of Austen spin-offs that have different names but where you can still tell that it's related to the original. I've only read Austen's version, so I withdraw my comment about Val's NA being a great read. :) 

Best not to force Wuthering Heights. :)

I read a few dozen more pages of The Girl Who Played with Fire today.

Bah, they should give the books different names so it's not so confusing! There are plenty of Austen spin-offs that have different names but where you can still tell that it's related to the original. I've only read Austen's version, so I withdraw my comment about Val's NA being a great read. :)

:lol: It does seem a bit ungracious to use the same names, and they don't even make a mention to Austen on the front cover, but the authors names are distinctive on the cover, so it's clearly not the original. They have also released a set of pocket size hardback editions of Austen's original books with an introduction by the author who wrote the reimagined story. I've just been looking them up on theaustenproject.com, and found out that Curtis Sittenfeld is writing the Pride and Prejudice story … I'm so excited, but the website is over a year out of date, and says it should have been published in Autumn 2014, but Amazon shows it as April 2016 :(

But I have read 20% of Northanger Abbey now, and I love it! Plan for today is to settle down somewhere comfy and read the rest. :yes:

Finished The Giver, I'm not sure about the ending though... Has anyone read the rest in the series?

Not sure what is up next, not sure which child's turn it is to choose from the Book Box next! :)

Eldest son has picked 'Wool' - am a bit wary of this as believe it is a trilogy and the second and third books were not as well received? Am I right in saying that?