Your Book Activity - April 2015

frankie

Finished The Giver, I'm not sure about the ending though... Has anyone read the rest in the series?

I haven't read the rest of the series, but I believe there is a thread for it in the Group Reads section. I was a bit puzzled by the ending, and had to google for some interpretations of it.

Eldest son has picked 'Wool' - am a bit wary of this as believe it is a trilogy and the second and third books were not as well received? Am I right in saying that?

Wool was a pretty decent read, but it hasn't made me rush to read the next two, so I can't really say. All I can say is that you can read Wool as a standalone, and it will give you a feel as to whether or not to continue with the others. I bought the Wool trilogy as one set for my Kindle, which was much cheaper than buying them individually (it might have even been cheaper than Wool on it's own), so I have them all there for when I feel up to it.

I started with The Shock of the Fall, and enjoying it so far. Not sure how much I will lose out by not being able to see the publisher's fonts though.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Burial Rites. Very good book. Concentrating now on my re-read of Inkheart :)

Glad you liked it. :boogie:

I'm about 60% through The Shock of the Fall. It's very good, though a bit unsettling. I've already picked my next read out of the book jar, and it's On The Beach by Nevil Shute.

Also, today I bought The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain, as it's a Kindle Daily Deal for only £0.99.

Eldest son has picked 'Wool' - am a bit wary of this as believe it is a trilogy and the second and third books were not as well received? Am I right in saying that?

I hope you enjoy this :)

Finished Burial Rites. Very good book. Concentrating now on my re-read of Inkheart :)

Enjoy!

I just finished A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick.  What an awesome read!  I can't sleep cause my mind is spinning!  I love yummy books  :boogie:

I'm so glad you liked it :D

I'm about 60% through The Shock of the Fall. It's very good, though a bit unsettling. I've already picked my next read out of the book jar, and it's On The Beach by Nevil Shute.

Also, today I bought The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain, as it's a Kindle Daily Deal for only £0.99.

Wow, you read that pretty quickly! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I hope you like On the Beach, I thought it was a good book. I hope you enjoy the Diane Chamberlain book too, I do own that one but I haven't read it yet :).

Bought Shakespeare on Toast this morning, as it's been on my wish list for ages, since Ruth wrote a great review of it, and it was on offer on the Daily Deal.

I hope you enjoy it :).

I finished all the books I was reading, but I'm not sure yet what to read next as the read-a-thon is coming up next weekend, so I'd ideally don't want to start anything really long that I can't finish before then, but I kind of really want to read Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void.

I've just finished Doll Bones by Holly Black .. thoroughly enjoyed being spooked by it  :hide:  :witch:  :D The jar has picked Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall by Spike Milligan .. should be a weird and wonderful read!  :smile: 

I finished Memory Man by David Baldacci last night . I really enjoyed the book which is the first in a new series by Baldacci. The book is #1 locally on the best seller list and now I know why. :)

Last night I downloaded from the library "The Song of the Quarkbeast" by Jasper Fforde for my next read. I am still waiting on about 5 books that I have on hold at the library. Also, Chrissy has me thinking about a re-read of the Harry Potter series. :)

Edited by muggle not

And another Diane Chamberlain added to my shelf....'Kiss River', found in a nice wee café bookie place I found the other day with the sister....swap books...take one, leave another one....perfect. Nearly finished Cauldstane ~ Linda Gillard

I just finished the sample to Burial Rites and decided to buy it for my next read.  I need something totally different from A Scanner Darkly, cause it was one of the best books I have read.

I've been reading some short books (ie. a book with quotes about dogs), because I'll be going to the library in one of the next few days (maybe I'll find some nice books to read), and then it'll be the read-a-thon. But you bet I'm going to read Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 2: The Temporal Void soon after that!

I've finally finished The Man in the High Castle. Review to follow, but to borrow Kay's expression, not my cup of tea!

I've now jumped straight into The Girl on the Train - with some trepidation after all the mixed reviews though...

I've finally finished The Man in the High Castle. Review to follow, but to borrow Kay's expression, not my cup of tea!

I've now jumped straight into The Girl on the Train - with some trepidation after all the mixed reviews though...

:unsure: Hope this one will be your cup of tea Alex .. or drinkable at the very least :D xx

That's too bad- Phillip K Dick is one of my favorite authors right now. 

GL with Girl on the Train, I am taking it on vacation with me :)

I'm about a third through On the Beach by Nevile Shute. I'm really enjoying it. I love how civilised and well-behaved people are, considering the circumstances. :D

I've also picked my next read out of the book jar. It's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I tried reading it several years ago, enjoyed the beginning but somehow never got around to finishing it. :dunno: Hopefully I will fare better when I start it.

That's my next book club read so I hope you enjoy it, Alex!  I'm planning to read it on Kindle but I'm hanging fire with buying it under the (probably misguided) hope that it might come down in price a bit!

I don't think I paid the current price for it - although I can't remember what I did pay, I stick everything in a wish list until it comes to below £3 unless I have a gift card. I'm stingy :D

:unsure: Hope this one will be your cup of tea Alex .. or drinkable at the very least :D xx

Thank you! I'm about 100 pages in and very intrigued by where it's all going - even though I'd quite like to throttle the main character :giggle2:

That's too bad- Phillip K Dick is one of my favorite authors right now. 

GL with Girl on the Train, I am taking it on vacation with me :)

:( I wanted to love it so much, but I think it might have been my current mood more than anything because the premise had me hooked totally. I certainly will be trying more of his work in the hope it was just wrong timing :)

I've also picked my next read out of the book jar. It's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I tried reading it several years ago, enjoyed the beginning but somehow never got around to finishing it. :dunno: Hopefully I will fare better when I start it.

Sometimes it's a matter of reading a book at the right time. I hope it's the case with the Murakami book :yes: 

I have about 20 pages of Lost & Found to finish.