Your Book Activity - April 2015

frankie

I've decided to read Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 1: The Dreaming Void, but so far I've only read one page :blush2:. I also feel really in the mood for something Dutch, short and informative, so I'm reading Carien Karsten and Klazien Laansma - Shoppen!: De Lust, Het Lijden en de Lol, the first originally Dutch book (according to the book) about shopping addiction. It was published in 2003 and I bought it during a library sale last year (yes, ironically while I was still having a lot of shopping problems). I'm making good progress with that one. I plan to read Stephen Howe - Overcoming your Shopping Addiction: The Guide to Beating your Addiction to Shopping and Ending the Shopping Addiction Cycle after this and compare the two (this one was a at the time free short Kindle book). And then possibly just read The Dreaming Void, or maybe keep reading something informative on the side (though I do find it difficult to focus on two books, so I might just concentrate on The Dreaming Void for a while).

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are so pretty I don't want to color them in (and probably won't!).  Ok ok, I also bought a book to color in different decorated cakes, cupcakes and candy :hide:

* In my best brain-washing voice* Jooiinn uusss...

Goodness me, I couldn't colour in cakes. It would just make me hungry for cake! And everything would have to be chocolate, so I'd wear out my brown pencil in no time.  :giggle2: 

I look forward to this, as this is one I hope to read

Perhaps you shouldn't read my review then.  :hide:

I'm about halfway through The Girl on the Train. Rachel is a bit annoying, I have to say! :theboss:

Aww shame you're finding her annoying, I loved her. I mean, I wouldn't want to be friends with her, but I thought she was very well written.

I finished White Cat by Holly Black a couple of days ago, quite enjoyed it, will continue reading the series. Must write a review (couple of them waiting to be done actually).

Started Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, which I've heard good things about. Enjoyed the start, not sure about it 40 pages in. So we'll see how it goes.

I can't believe I put down One Last Thing Before I Go the first time I started it … the Jar of Destiny threw it out at me yesterday, and I started again from where I'd left off, and read about 75 pages last night, another 100 during my lunch hour and then came home and picked it up straight away to finish it off.  I loved it! :D

I started Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier this morning, but I won't have much time for reading in the next few days, so I'll probably make a proper start on it next week.

^ So much for that!

When I said that I had 'started' Rebecca, I had literally read one page. Now I'm up to page 108. Totally hooked!

^ So much for that!

When I said that I had 'started' Rebecca, I had literally read one page. Now I'm up to page 108. Totally hooked!

I thought that might happen! :lol:

Just got my library reading group book for next month - The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Moshin Hamid

^ So much for that!

I was the same way when I read it  :smile: I believe I read it in a day or two. Such a gripping story

^ So much for that!

Yes .. well .. it was to be expected :DSo glad you're enjoying it Kylie .. brilliant, brilliant story.

Wait, why are you reading Allegiant before Insurgent? I'm confused as Insurgent is book 2 and Allegiant book 3..

I haven't heard of Violin but I liked some of the Vampire Chronicles books. I hope you enjoy it!

Sorry, posted it wrong hehe.. I read everything on order. Not liking Violin so far, bit of the rambling things she's got going on in "Memnoch the Devil".

I am not religious at all, far from it, I won't say much more than that I don't really like (as in, can't stand) organized religion. I don't care what kind, don't care for it.. so when books are written in a way that  it's.. (don't know the word right now), LOVES it.. I get put off. Lots. So yeah, good things violin was cheap. God this and god that.. uhm. :(

I have just finished The Girl on the Train and I didn't enjoy it as much as others have. I didn't like the ending, or find the characters likeable or even believable.  :sarcastic: 

Time to turn to the book jar for my next choice, and it is.......A 1960s Childhood: From Thunderbirds to Beatlemania. Hmmm, could be better, but could be a lot worse I guess. :giggle2: I didn't particularly like A 1950's Childhood, but the jar has spoken! :D

After a week long illness I am easing back into reading (still with a fuzzy head) with a short story by Stephen King.  Written with Stewart O'Nan and called A Face in the Crowd.  If my head clears, I will go back to A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick.

I have just finished The Girl on the Train and I didn't enjoy it as much as others have. I didn't like the ending, or find the characters likeable or even believable.  :sarcastic:

Awww I'm sorry to hear that. The ending was a bit off-putting for a lot of people. Hope you enjoy your next read more.

After a week long illness I am easing back into reading (still with a fuzzy head) with a short story by Stephen King. 

Oooh dear, I haven't posted on here much in the last week and didn't know you were sick! :empathy: Glad you're on the mend :)

I finished Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, another 5-star read. Haven't written a review yet but I HIGHLY recommend it.

A few of the reviews of this have compared it to The Lovely Bones, would you agree?

I actually haven't read The Lovely Bones, so I don't know! It's about a mixed-race family in 70s Ohio coming to terms with the apparent suicide of a daughter, and trying to figure out why she did it. Does that sound similar? I don't know what The Lovely Bones is even about really.

I actually haven't read The Lovely Bones, so I don't know! It's about a mixed-race family in 70s Ohio coming to terms with the apparent suicide of a daughter, and trying to figure out why she did it. Does that sound similar? I don't know what The Lovely Bones is even about really.

It's a long time since I read it and I don't remember lots about it but it was written from the perspective of the murdered girl and as such was very immature (just in my opinion of course). A bit of a marmite book I think..

Nope, does not sound like TLB :smile: 

Oooh dear, I haven't posted on here much in the last week and didn't know you were sick! :empathy: Glad you're on the mend :)

Thanks!  I am feeling better- finally.  Just a bit tired now.

That's really too bad, since I planned on taking it with me on vacation.

It's a long time since I read it and I don't remember lots about it but it was written from the perspective of the murdered girl and as such was very immature (just in my opinion of course). A bit of a marmite book I think..

Ah, EINTY is from the perspective of all the characters and gradually builds up a picture of what was really going on with the dead girl, a picture which was never understood by the rest of the family because nobody ever told each other anything.

I had a review copy of this, and gave up about half way through, pretty much because I wasn't getting on with the characters at all.