Your Book Activity - April 2015

frankie

I finished Celia today.  It was absolutely fascinating to see the everyday thoughts and deeds of middle class women in the 1930s, but written at the time rather than written as a historical fiction and felt very modern.  Good old book jar … it might have taken me a while to read, but you done me good! :yes:

Woohoo!  I almost asked yesterday just how long that book was :lol: You read so fast, I couldn't imagine!

Speaking of reading fast :roll: I am 65 pages into World Without End, which is only 6% of the book :D It's going to take me at least 10 days at reading 110 pages per day, straight.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo!  I almost asked yesterday just how long that book was :lol: You read so fast, I couldn't imagine!

It wasn't so much that it was long, but it was such a rich, dense book and needed concentration and dedication … not something I could just read a page or two here and there. :D

I'm nearly two thirds of the way through Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano. I like it in the way I liked Twilight - I'm compelled to keep reading it despite pretty bad writing and virtually zero characters I give a toss about, simply because the weak world-building alludes to a world I could love if it were done well. (And I like some of the premises.)

This is such an accurate description of reading the Twilight books :lol:

I felt the same way. I wanted to read them all super quick, so I thought they were good and then I took a step back and was like whoa these are terrible

I hope you enjoy it!!

Yesterday and today I've been busy writing reviews of the books I read during the long read-a-thon. I plan to start a new book later today or at least tomorrow. It'll probably be Penny Vincenzi - A Perfect Heritage, I plan to read a couple of pages and see if it pulls me in. I haven't read a book by this author in a little while and I pre-ordered this one and I've had it for just over a month now, so if it sparks my interest, that'll be my next read.

Thanks!  I am now a little over 7% into World Without End  :giggle2: Hopefully more than 10% by tonight.  I am shooting for 30 more pages, but am getting lazy this late in the day ;) I hope you settle on a read, that A Perfect Heritage pulls you in.

This is such an accurate description of reading the Twilight books :lol:

I felt the same way. I wanted to read them all super quick, so I thought they were good and then I took a step back and was like whoa these are terrible

Haha yep. I was obsessed for a while, and I used to like the first film too. What was I on? :roll:

Thanks!  I am now a little over 7% into World Without End  :giggle2: Hopefully more than 10% by tonight.  I am shooting for 30 more pages, but am getting lazy this late in the day ;) I hope you settle on a read, that A Perfect Heritage pulls you in.

Thanks, I haven't yet tried it, but I will do so later today :). I've thought up a few other books too in case I don't feel like reading this one (last night in bed, while I had trouble falling asleep :giggle2:). I hope you enjoy World Without End :)!

EDIT: I've started to read Penny Vincenzi - A Perfect Heritage. I'm currently on page 50. I'm enjoying it, but because I've been feeling quite tired today I'm having a bit of trouble concentrating on the book.

Edited by Athena

I'm reading The Spire by William Golding at the moment.  It's fiction, but is based on Salisbury Cathedral, which is somewhere I love to visit (it's a beautiful building and they have a wonderful café!).  I'm about a fifth of the way in. I've not read anything by him before (I have Lord of the Flies on my 'to read' pile) but so far so good.  :)

There is a blue plaque in Salisbury to Golding, who taught at a school there for some years, and he is buried in Bowerchalke church, so I can feel a 'literary escapade' coming on!

Haha yep. I was obsessed for a while, and I used to like the first film too. What was I on? :roll:

:lol: I know I'm the same way. But now if I went back and tried to watch the first film I think I wouldn't make it ten minutes without turning off that garbage. I actually when to he midnight premiers of the third, fourth, and fifth movies. I was such an ignorant child  :giggle2:

I'm loving The Rosie Project. So far behind most on this forum ;)

Just frustrating because I have so little time to to read ATM and I want to devour it :D

I have that same problem too. I'm reading a great book, but I have so much stuff going on that I have to either neglect the book or neglect my schoolwork and friendships. Why is there not more time in the day?

I finished The elite by Kiera Cass last night and am debating starting the third today. Just worried if I get to the end and it's a hanger I'll have to wait for the next one to be released. So it's a toss up between The one by Kiera Cass or Skulduggery Pleasant armageddon outta here by Derek Landy.

I'm reading The Spire by William Golding at the moment.  It's fiction, but is based on Salisbury Cathedral, which is somewhere I love to visit (it's a beautiful building and they have a wonderful café!).  I'm about a fifth of the way in. I've not read anything by him before (I have Lord of the Flies on my 'to read' pile) but so far so good.  :)

I wasn't a fan of Lord of the Flies, but I'm glad to hear that The Spire is good. I visited many cathedrals on my short trip to the UK. I probably visited too many actually, because they started to blur together after a while. :wacko: York Minister will probably always be my favourite because I visited it first, so it had the biggest effect on me. The main thing I remember about Salisbury Cathedral is how much trouble I had trying to fit the whole darn thing in my photo, including the spire. Practically had to walk halfway across town to do it. ;)

At least you have the book and you're reading it. I probably won't get around to it until after it's released in the smaller paperback format! :)

I have that same problem too. I'm reading a great book, but I have so much stuff going on that I have to either neglect the book or neglect my schoolwork and friendships. Why is there not more time in the day?

I've spent to much time thinking about this. :D I've decided that a 30-hour day would work better for me. Two for sleeping and four for playing. :)

Just frustrating because I have so little time to to read ATM and I want to devour it :D

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :)! I hope you get a bit more time to read soon (but not due to scary reasons like breaking a leg or anything!).

I finished The elite by Kiera Cass last night and am debating starting the third today. Just worried if I get to the end and it's a hanger I'll have to wait for the next one to be released. So it's a toss up between The one by Kiera Cass or Skulduggery Pleasant armageddon outta here by Derek Landy.

I've heard good things of both of these series, I hope you enjoy whichever book you decide to read next :).

I've spent to much time thinking about this. :D I've decided that a 30-hour day would work better for me. Two for sleeping and four for playing. :)

Haha :D! This makes sense to me :yes:.

I'm currently on page 70 of Penny Vincenzi - A Perfect Heritage, at my current pace it'll take me a while to read this. I'm enjoying it so far though so that's good.

I'm so psyched that you're enjoying the book! :smile2:

I'm on page 282 of Black Dog by Stephen Booth. I'm liking it, but I find it's going a bit slow. Probably my own fault for reading so many fast paced thrillers in the past... 

Edited by frankie

Don't you just hate when you can't settle in to a book...I have 2 on the go at the moment and now started a third...!

'Broken Skin' by Stuart MacBride

Edited by Inver

At least you have the book and you're reading it. I probably won't get around to it until after it's released in the smaller paperback format :)

True! I bought it ages ago when it was cheap on kindle. My boyfriend actually bought me the sequel a couple of weeks ago not realising I hadn't yet read the first :giggle2:

:lol: I know I'm the same way. But now if I went back and tried to watch the first film I think I wouldn't make it ten minutes without turning off that garbage. I actually when to he midnight premiers of the third, fourth, and fifth movies. I was such an ignorant child  :giggle2:

I rewatched the first film a few months ago and it made me cringe. However, I stand by the soundtracks of the first two films. Fantastic collections of songs, both. :lol:

Yes! That sounds perfect  :D It would give that extra little boost of time to relax and actually do some things for pleasure rather than for school or other things I have to do. 

I rewatched the first film a few months ago and it made me cringe. However, I stand by the soundtracks of the first two films. Fantastic collections of songs, both. :lol:

Yes the soundtrack is great! I can't think of the band that did a lot of it, but it was para something I think. 

Yes! That sounds perfect  :D It would give that extra little boost of time to relax and actually do some things for pleasure rather than for school or other things I have to do. 

That's right! Except our governments would probably just make us work more hours per day. :(

I haven't done much reading lately. I'm plodding through the last part of Underground but having a bit of trouble with it. And I may have ordered a few books online last night.  :blush2:

I'm on page 181 (out of 753) of A Perfect Heritage by Penny Vincenzi. It's about a beauty company, I'm enjoying reading about the lives of the characters involved as well as to hear about the business side of the company.