Your Book Activity - March 2015

chesilbeach

I've already seen the movie, and really enjoyed it, which is why I was so sure I had bought the book. :smile:

Oh goody- I am glad you liked the movie!  The book will be SO MUCH easier. 

I got a little crazy and downloaded a bunch of Phillip K Dick's Kindle Singles. (The Man in the High Castle).  I am having trouble with my Kindle, it keeps wiping out my home screen history, and losing my current read.  Amazon says it might be the software. :( 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, that doesn't sound good Anna. What Kindle version do you have, and how long have you had it?

I've just bought the Wool Trilogy on Kindle. :boogie: I hope I like it, otherwise I've just wasted all that money ( :giggle2:  :doh: ), but the trilogy was a lot cheaper than buying them individually. I'm going to start it later today. About time, too, because I've been meaning to read it for ages. :readingtwo:

Oh no, that doesn't sound good Anna. What Kindle version do you have, and how long have you had it?

I've just bought the Wool Trilogy on Kindle. :boogie: I hope I like it, otherwise I've just wasted all that money ( :giggle2:  :doh: ), but the trilogy was a lot cheaper than buying them individually. I'm going to start it later today. About time, too, because I've been meaning to read it for ages. :readingtwo:

Oh good, being the Howey fan I am, I will await your impressions, as I am sure Wool will be good :)  I trust in the power of Hugh :P

I have the original book by Krakauer, I read it in 2012 but remember, my mom loved it, so don't take my word ;)

I got a little crazy and downloaded a bunch of Phillip K Dick's Kindle Singles. (The Man in the High Castle).  I am having trouble with my Kindle, it keeps wiping out my home screen history, and losing my current read.  Amazon says it might be the software.  :(

I hope you will enjoy these :)! And that your Kindle problem can be fixed :(:friends0:.

I hope you enjoy them :D! Wool and Silo are on my TBR, but I don't own Dust yet.

Finished Season 2 of Yesterday's Gone, at last! My reading has slowed down the last few days, with various things that have been going on. Thoroughly enjoyed Season 2, I think it tidied itself up where it needed to by comparison with the first. I gave it 4.5* out of 5, I'm reserving the honor of 5 full stars for the third Season, if it pulls something awesome out of the bag. I'm hopeful though :)

I plan to finish Spell Or High Water and World After before Tuesday, to hit 11 books read in March. I don't have any money for a while, so I can't get Season 3 of Yesterday's gone probably until Tuesday week. In the meantime, I'll probably read Half Bad and start the third Magic 2.0 book.

:jump: I'm so glad you had a good time! I hope you like the book!

I was a little bit apprehensive at the event, but in the end it was very good :smile: .

Matt was good, and I was interested when he was explaining the he had suffered with anxiety and depression. Most of the time anxiety is rarely mentioned with being with depression, but it is quite often happens.

I also bought the paperback of The Humans for him to sign too.  :smile:

I don't have any money for a while, so I can't get Season 3 of Yesterday's gone probably until Tuesday week.

If you don't want to spend the money, Amazon tells me I can loan it to your Kindle, I think it's for 15 days.

Good to hear you enjoyed it, Marie. It's seems like it's been ages coming! :D

Yes, is was a really good evening. It was strange that in the week running up to the event, I kept forgetting that it was actually happening :doh:

Very exciting :)! I'm so glad you had fun at the event and I hope you enjoy the book.

Thanks, I did enjoy the evening :smile: , and the new book is quite a short, so it shouldn't take that long to read.

From the post today came Anastasia Krupnik (3 books in 1)  :smile: !!

The cover design is different from the one in the Amazon used section, but that's okay, it was cheap as chips .

The book was printed in 1992, and the fashion of clothes and spectacles of Anastasia are so 90's  :D . I can remember wearing specs of that size at the late 80s/ early 90's, and they were so fashionable then.  :giggle2:

post-11098-0-08138800-1427570368_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-14790800-1427570572_thumb.jpg

If you don't want to spend the money, Amazon tells me I can loan it to your Kindle, I think it's for 15 days.

Really?? That would be awesome! It's not that I don't *want* to spend the money, it's literally that my bank account got attacked by a load of unexpected payments and I'm severely broke for the week. But I would love to borrow it if you don't mind! (My 'Kindle' is a Kindle app on my tablet, I don't know if that will make any difference?)

Really?? That would be awesome! It's not that I don't *want* to spend the money, it's literally that my bank account got attacked by a load of unexpected payments and I'm severely broke for the week. But I would love to borrow it if you don't mind! (My 'Kindle' is a Kindle app on my tablet, I don't know if that will make any difference?)

If you want to try it out, PM me your email address and I will attempt it.

I agree  :smile: Have you read Grapes of Wrath? It's another very good story 

No .. apart from East of Eden I've only read Of Mice and Men. I have a set of his books but for some (annoying) reason it doesn't include The Grapes of Wrath?!! Possibly can get it from the library though .. I'll look out for it :)

From the post today came Anastasia Krupnik (3 books in 1) :smile: !!

The cover design is different from the one in the Amazon used section, but that's okay, it was cheap as chips .

The book was printed in 1992, and the fashion of clothes and spectacles of Anastasia are so 90's :D . I can remember wearing specs of that size at the late 80s/ early 90's, and they were so fashionable then. :giggle2:

The Anastasia covers are so terribly hideous. :( I have the same type of covers. I really hope they republish them with nicer covers one day. The books deserve it!

I used to have huge glasses in the late 90s. Whenever my mum now sees a photo of me from that time she apologises for putting me in those glasses. :D

I bought a couple of books yesterday to get ready for summer holidays.  I know they're a long way off yet, but never to early to start planning!  I tend to like travel memoirs, romcoms and catching up with books in series I'm reading  I bought the next Daisy Dalrymple book, and I already have the two next books after that already, as I'd previously bought them when they were on sale, plus an M. C. Beaton regency romcom, because again it was on sale.  I whittle down the list from the Kindle Spring sale, so I just need to have a think about whether they fit in with holiday reading or not, but I think over the next week I'll buy a few more.  These books will be put in a separate collection on my Kindle, so I'm not tempted before we go away! :D

I agree  :smile: Have you read Grapes of Wrath? It's another very good story 

I'll second this. :smile:  I must read more Steinbeck. There are just too many books to read. :weeping:

I started Wool last night. It's a good start so far, but I'm having trouble visualising just how big this Silo is. It must be massive!

Also this morning I bought Canoeing the Congo: The First Source-to-Sea Descent of the Congo River. It is a Kindle Daily Deal, for only £0.99 and sounds interesting. I don't know why I keep buying these books when I have so many outstanding on my TBR pile. It's a sickness, I tell you. :lol:

Emoticons removed.

Finished Season 2 of Yesterday's Gone, at last! My reading has slowed down the last few days, with various things that have been going on. Thoroughly enjoyed Season 2, I think it tidied itself up where it needed to by comparison with the first. I gave it 4.5* out of 5, I'm reserving the honor of 5 full stars for the third Season, if it pulls something awesome out of the bag. I'm hopeful though

I plan to finish Spell Or High Water and World After before Tuesday, to hit 11 books read in March. I don't have any money for a while, so I can't get Season 3 of Yesterday's gone probably until Tuesday week. In the meantime, I'll probably read Half Bad and start the third Magic 2.0 book.

I hope you enjoy all of the books :)!

From the post today came Anastasia Krupnik (3 books in 1)   !!

The cover design is different from the one in the Amazon used section, but that's okay, it was cheap as chips .

The book was printed in 1992, and the fashion of clothes and spectacles of Anastasia are so 90's   . I can remember wearing specs of that size at the late 80s/ early 90's, and they were so fashionable then.

I hope you enjoy this book :)!

I bought a couple of books yesterday to get ready for summer holidays.  I know they're a long way off yet, but never to early to start planning!  I tend to like travel memoirs, romcoms and catching up with books in series I'm reading  I bought the next Daisy Dalrymple book, and I already have the two next books after that already, as I'd previously bought them when they were on sale, plus an M. C. Beaton regency romcom, because again it was on sale.  I whittle down the list from the Kindle Spring sale, so I just need to have a think about whether they fit in with holiday reading or not, but I think over the next week I'll buy a few more.  These books will be put in a separate collection on my Kindle, so I'm not tempted before we go away!

I approve of early planning :yes:! I hope you'll have a nice time reading during your summer holidays :).

I started Wool last night. It's a good start so far, but I'm having trouble visualising just how big this Silo is. It must be massive!

Also this morning I bought Canoeing the Congo: The First Source-to-Sea Descent of the Congo River. It is a Kindle Daily Deal, for only £0.99 and sounds interesting. I don't know why I keep buying these books when I have so many outstanding on my TBR pile. It's a sickness, I tell you.

I hope you enjoy both books :)!

EDIT: I completely forgot to say I started to read Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic 7: Shopaholic to the Stars yesterday. I'm on page 54, at the beginning of chapter four. So far it's quite enjoyable. I'm just a little bit apprehensive because the note from the author at the beginning of the book, reveals the story will end on a bit of a cliffhanger and I don't deal well with that at all.

I also started to read Te Gek Voor Woorden, which is the freebie collection of essays by Dutch authors because of Book Week 2015 (these authors: Stichting CPNB, Just Enschedé, Myrthe van der Meer, Ronald Snijders, Christine Otten, Arend Jan Heerma van Voss, Heleen van Royen, Inez Weski, Onno Blom, J. M. A. Biesheuvel, Marly van der Velden, Ronald Giphart and Peter de Wit). So far I've read three of the essays / pieces / articles and I really liked two and I didn't get on with one. I don't know, I felt like reading it at the moment (I just found it underneath a mess of papers on my desk :giggle2:).

Edited by Athena

The Anastasia covers are so terribly hideous. :( I have the same type of covers. I really hope they republish them with nicer covers one day. The books deserve it!

Yeah, I was a bit shocked about how hideous they were! I thought the blurb on the back cover was pretty dire too  :o . It makes Anastasia as a complete idiot/air head, which is completely untrue!! :banghead:

I used to have huge glasses in the late 90s. Whenever my mum now sees a photo of me from that time she apologises for putting me in those glasses. :D

:giggle2:  :friends3: . I have to admit I quite liked my big specs, but they were just so popular in the late 80s. The specs Anastasiais wearing on the cover are ridiculously huge :sarcastic: , she looks as if she's wearing her grandmother's glasses for a bet. 

Matt was good, and I was interested when he was explaining the he had suffered with anxiety and depression. Most of the time anxiety is rarely mentioned with being with depression, but it is quite often happens.

Yes, but he is very careful not to use the diagnosis of bipolar.

I also started to read Te Gek Voor Woorden.

So far I've read three of the essays / pieces / articles and I really liked two and I didn't get on with one.

So better so far than 101? :giggle2:

I must read his divisive book on that. I'm not sure I'll like it, but the fact that this relationship is one he is aware of and talks about, makes me interested. It's a very important point, one which you are correct (and so is he), is not mentioned often. I suffer horrendously from anxiety, and in my early twenties I thought I suffered from depression but I think I actually have (and have always had) depressive tendencies as a result of chronic anxiety.

In reading news, today I finished Spell Or High Water. It was very good, easily as laugh-out-loud funny as the first, and had some wonderfully fun time-travel conundrums, but I felt it lacked the oomph of the first one a little, so we'll see what the third one has in store.

So better so far than 101? :giggle2:

Definitely! I finished it later in the day yesterday and I'll post a review soon. Most of the pieces were very interesting, there were a couple I didn't really understand. 

In reading news, today I finished Spell Or High Water. It was very good, easily as laugh-out-loud funny as the first, and had some wonderfully fun time-travel conundrums, but I felt it lacked the oomph of the first one a little, so we'll see what the third one has in store.

I'm glad you enjoyed it :), though it's a shame you didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. I hope you enjoy the third one as well.

I finished Te Gek Voor Woorden yesterday and I also read some more in Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella. It's enjoyable so far, though I do have to say, that in the overall series the main character doesn't develop that much. She does towards the end of each book, but it seems in each next book she falls back again a bit, if that makes sense? That said, the book is enjoyable and somewhat funny :).

Just bought The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. It's only £1.79 for the Kindle edition (not sure for how long, so snap it up if you're interested, as it's usually over £6). It's received many favourable reviews, so really looking forward to reading this one. :boogie:

I also snapped it up :D

I'm now close to the end of the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - taken nearly a month! Just don't have much time at the moment unfortunately. Hope that should change soon. I have a growing TBR pile and a constant read pile.

I was tempted to try Gone Girl but then with all the film talk, I heard someone spoil the ending and it seems pointless to read a plot driven book if you know the ending, so I'll probably not bother now. 

I'm sorry you got spoiled =( But did they spoil the film ending or the book ending? As they are different... If they spoiled the film ending, you still have hope :D 

Good to see that you're pleased about the Anastasia book!

I'm mighty mighty pleased!! I only hope you could get a hold of the later books, too! That is, if you like the omnibus :smile2:  I'm tempted to do a re-read... :blush: 

Anastasia had just told her father that she needs to see an analyst, as she is seriously disturbed!! She is so embarrassed with her parents (as you said, they are quite cool) but she is soooo embarrassed when they hug or kiss in public etc. etc.   I think her mother has a dry sense of humour, and both of her parents are great.  I haven'tread Sam and the Flashlight yet, but Sam is one of a kind.

Seriously disturbed, yes =D I love her 'teenage angst' :D She's like the most level headed kid I know! And I guess it's just a universal truth and rite of passage to be embarrassed about one's parents... No matter how cool they really are. I love it how they talk about things, as a family. Anastasia can talk about anything with them, really. Of course she always doesn't, but if she tried, her parents would most definitely listen. There's this one scene in a later book where her Mom gives amazing advice and handles this one particular thing very very well. 

(Did you know at least one of the books was banned in some American schools? :o)

I see that there are four of the Sam books, and See You Around, Sam  kindle edition is only £1.55!  . The other in his series are a bit more pricey. But £1.55!  Soooo cheap....sooo irresistible. The Amazon blurb is "Sam Krupnik, mad at his mother because she won't let him wear his newly acquired plastic fangs in the house, decides to run away."  

How could you resist?!? =D (Did you buy it already? :giggle2: )

From the post today came Anastasia Krupnik (3 books in 1) !!

The book was printed in 1992, and the fashion of clothes and spectacles of Anastasia are so 90's . I can remember wearing specs of that size at the late 80s/ early 90's, and they were so fashionable then. 

Oh god, the cover is hideous :o I love mine. 

anastasia_good_cover.jpg

Yeah, I was a bit shocked about how hideous they were! I thought the blurb on the back cover was pretty dire too. It makes Anastasia as a complete idiot/air head, which is completely untrue!!

Why would they do something like that :(

Edit: Marie H, I still have your latest PM to get to, re: Don, but I just wanted to say that if you want to talk more about Anastasia, you're more than welcome to PM me about her, too!! 

Edited by frankie