Your Book Activity - March 2015

chesilbeach

I'm glad you're enjoying both of these books :D (but in particular, I'm so glad you're liking the Scott Meyer books!).

I've read a few pages in Anne Frank - Het Achterhuis: Dagboekbrieven 12 juni 1934 - 1 augustus 1944, it's interesting so far so I think I'll make it my next read.

Ya the two of us just finished those same books lol She the Meyer's, me the Platt and Wright.

I am so glad you are reading Anne Frank!  Feel free to PM me about it as you go.

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some emothings removed

Omg omg omg!! Best news ever! :exc:

:D Good to see that you're pleased about the Anastasia book!

So cheap, and so awesome!  

Yeah, £2.80 can buy me  a cappuccino or a danish pastry etc in a coffee bar, so the three-in-one book is really cheap. It is supposed to be in good condition, with just the basic wear of a book.  :smile:

Anastasia is so great. I love how there's a different sort of theme or thing in each novel. Don't you love how Anastasia got the bust of Freud and did sessions with him? Hilarious :D I was a kid when I first read all the books and so I also wanted to find something like that :D Sam is like no other kid. I love it how he's so smart in so many ways but then he's not as advanced in other areas of life. There's this most funniest thing ever in one of the books, with Sam and a flashlight. 

Anastasia had just told her father that she needs to see an analyst, as she is seriously disturbed!! :D She is so embarrassed with her parents (as you said, they are quite cool) but she is soooo embarrassed when they hug or kiss in public etc. etc.   :D I think her mother has a dry sense of humour, and both of her parents are great.  I haven'tread Sam and the Flashlight yet, but Sam is one of a kind.

I see that there are four of the Sam books, and See You Around, Sam  kindle edition is only £1.55!   :D . The other in his series are a bit more pricey. But £1.55!  Soooo cheap....sooo irresistible. The Amazon blurb is "Sam Krupnik, mad at his mother because she won't let him wear his newly acquired plastic fangs in the house, decides to run away."  :lol:

How could I resist *sound of the mouse clicking on 'buy now' *   :giggle:

Edited by Marie H

I am so glad you are reading Anne Frank!  Feel free to PM me about it as you go.

I will do so! So far I'm on page 10, only the second page of the actual diary, after the introduction with some background information about the book. But I hope to do a bit of reading in it this afternoon :).

I'm almost two thirds of the way through Prudence now.  I'm hoping to have a couple of hours together to sit down and read tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully I'll finish it then!  I've started getting the previous series, The Parasol Protectorate on audiobook, and I think I'll be doing the same for this one too … although they've got a different narrator, so I'll have to sample it first. :)

The very lovely Janet (you know who you are... :flowers2:  sent me a copy of 'The Lost Daughter' by Diane Chamberlain, which I had showed an interest in. I'll have to squeeze it in to the overfilled bookshelves somehow... :doh:

The very lovely Janet (you know who you are... :flowers2:  sent me a copy of 'The Lost Daughter' by Diane Chamberlain, which I had showed an interest in. I'll have to squeeze it in to the overfilled bookshelves somehow... :doh:

I hope you enjoy it, Diane :)! I haven't yet read that one myself, but I have high hopes as I've liked all of Chamberlain's books so far that I've read. I hope you'll post your thoughts once you've read it (but don't feel obliged, though!). Happy reading :readingtwo:!

EDIT: I've read about 80 pages in Anne Frank - Het Achterhuis: Dagboekbrieven 12 juni 1934 - 1 augustus 1944 and it's very interesting so far. I had to get used to the older Dutch language, but it's quite readable (just costs me a bit more effort than reading contemporary Dutch language). It's really interesting to read about what the situation was like for Anne, and at the same time I feel so sad for her and others, who fell during those awful times. It reminds me a bit of my greatgrandfather's diary of this time period, though the two situations are different but that was also a harrowing tale. I really admire Anne's spirit as she writes about what happens and what her daily life is like.

Edited by Athena

I'm sure you'll manage somehow ;)

Is that what the somewhat newly released movie is based on? I've only seen the previews, but the story sounds amazing. I would obviously love to read the book before watching the movie  :D

Yes, the movie was based on the book Unbroken. I cannot even describe the emotions I feel while reading the book. I am about 65% into it and keep trying my best not to cry while reading.

Anna, I can surely understand why you have read it numerous times. We owe so much to those heroic men. 

I'm glad you're enjoying both of these books :D (but in particular, I'm so glad you're liking the Scott Meyer books!).

Hehe I'm so so glad I decided to give them a go, because like you say they seem virtually unheard of for the most part, and they are soooooo good.

I'm now on page 500 of East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I'm loving it .. I just haven't had the time or concentration to commit to reading this week but I've got back into it now and expect to finish it later today.  

Started listening to Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Not keen on the narrators and Nick and Amy are both irritating me but it's early days .. I expect I'll get drawn in. 

I'm about halfway through The Grass Is Singing, and I'm really enjoying it. Doris Lessing seems to have a great instinct about people's behaviour, and the things that they usually try to keep hidden.

I also bought a couple of books which were Kindle Daily Deals - Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer (I could have sworn I already purchased this, but clearly not!) and Snowdrops by AD Miller.

I also bought a couple of books which were Kindle Daily Deals - Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer (I could have sworn I already purchased this, but clearly not!)

My mom loved it, I hated it :P Make sure you see the great movie after, a wonderful performance from Emile Hirsch, who plays Chris McCandless and awesome soundtrack from Eddie Vedder.  Directed by Sean Penn.

I've now got my signed copy of Matt Haig's Reasons to Stay Alive! It was interesting to hear Matt about his experience in anxiety and depression, and I will have to read the book soon. It was a good evening, I am glad that I went to it.

I'm now on page 500 of East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I'm loving it .. I just haven't had the time or concentration to commit to reading this week but I've got back into it now and expect to finish it later today.  

Started listening to Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Not keen on the narrators and Nick and Amy are both irritating me but it's early days .. I expect I'll get drawn in. 

I loved East of Eden! It had such a powerful message and the storytelling and plot was fantastic as well  :smile:

I've now got my signed copy of Matt Haig's Reasons to Stay Alive! It was interesting to hear Matt about his experience in anxiety and depression, and I will have to read the book soon. It was a good evening, I am glad that I went to it.

:jump: I'm so glad you had a good time! I hope you like the book!

I've only read short Steinbeck books, and that was back at school … I remember enjoying them, but I've never tried the doorsteps.  Not sure I'd like to if I'm honest, as he doesn't appeal to me at the moment, but glad you're getting on well with it :)

I was tempted to try Gone Girl but then with all the film talk, I heard someone spoil the ending and it seems pointless to read a plot driven book if you know the ending, so I'll probably not bother now.  :shrug: 

Good to hear you enjoyed it, Marie. It's seems like it's been ages coming! :D

I also bought a couple of books which were Kindle Daily Deals - Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer (I could have sworn I already purchased this, but clearly not!) and Snowdrops by AD Miller.

I hope you enjoy your new books!

Very exciting :)! I'm so glad you had fun at the event and I hope you enjoy the book.

I finished Anne Frank - Het Achterhuis: Dagboekbrieven 12 juni 1942 - 1 augustus 1944 today. It was really impressive. I'll post my review soon.

I'm hoping my pre-order will be in the post today (it's a book by Sophie Kinsella, one of my favourite chick-lit authors), I want to make that my next read. If it isn't, then I will either start a bigger library loan (the rest of the loans are for the raed-a-thon) or another pre-ordered book that I received last month (but it's 600+ pages).

I've only read short Steinbeck books, and that was back at school … I remember enjoying them, but I've never tried the doorsteps.  Not sure I'd like to if I'm honest, as he doesn't appeal to me at the moment, but glad you're getting on well with it :)

The thought of it was far worse than the actuality of it .. such a good story that the pages whizzed by. I wouldn't have picked it up probably though if the jar hadn't made me :D I've finished it now and feel I've actually achieved something .. after spending the last few days just bumbling around and amounting to nothing :D woohoo!! :exc:

I was tempted to try Gone Girl but then with all the film talk, I heard someone spoil the ending and it seems pointless to read a plot driven book if you know the ending, so I'll probably not bother now.  :shrug:

I think I saw a couple of words, written in a review, which is making me think I might know how it turns out. It was on Amazon .. I don't think it was a review for Gone Girl actually .. I think it was for The Girl on the Train .. somebody was comparing them. Just two words .. but they are crucial. If it does end up like that then I'll be disappointed as I've already got an eye on it.

I could also have imagined it so .. fifty/fifty :D It could be a red herring of my own invention :D

Think I will read Campari for Breakfast next by Sara Crowe .. hope it will provide me with some laughs .. East of Eden was brilliant but a bit short on laughs :D

The thought of it was far worse than the actuality of it .. such a good story that the pages whizzed by. I wouldn't have picked it up probably though if the jar hadn't made me :D I've finished it now and feel I've actually achieved something .. after spending the last few days just bumbling around and amounting to nothing :D woohoo!! :exc:

It's always very satisfying to finish a book you thought was going to be a challenge … well done you! :clapping:

Think I will read Campari for Breakfast next by Sara Crowe .. hope it will provide me with some laughs .. East of Eden was brilliant but a bit short on laughs :D

Campari for Breakfast looks very promising … can't wait to hear your thoughts. :D

As for my reading, Celia is too big to fit in my bag, so I took Heap House out with me this morning and made a start on that. Promising, but I've only read a handful of pages so far …

Starting to plan for holidays in the summer, and there are a few interesting books in the Kindle Spring Sale, so I've wish listed the ones I was interested in and will whittle them down later on, so I'll probably buy a few bargains this afternoon.

It's always very satisfying to finish a book you thought was going to be a challenge … well done you! :clapping:

Thanks Claire :) But you know what? It's not on the 1001 .. oh pooh! :D I thought it'd be a certainty  :blush2: 

Hope you get on well with Heap House. A book with such a great cover (and title) must be good though .. I shall feel shockingly let down if it isn't :D 

My mom loved it, I hated it :P Make sure you see the great movie after, a wonderful performance from Emile Hirsch, who plays Chris McCandless and awesome soundtrack from Eddie Vedder.  Directed by Sean Penn.

I've already seen the movie, and really enjoyed it, which is why I was so sure I had bought the book. :smile:

I've just finished The Grass Is Singing. I wasn't expecting it to finish so suddenly as my Kindle said I was only 50% through, so I was just settling down for a long read and before I knew it, it was all over. :o It turns out that the book has 4 other Doris Lessing stories in it, which explains why the book finished at only 50%. But it's thrown me, as I haven't planned what to read next. :thud: