Hunger Games used in Singapore school

Anna Begins

The Straits Times:

Secondary 2 students at Singapore Chinese Girls' School (SCGS) are using the bestseller as a literature text, alongside the classic "Merchant Of Venice."

It is the only school believed to be doing so.

Many support the move, saying the use of such a popular book will help draw more students to the study of literature.

But some have criticised by questioning whether the levels of violence in the book, which features duels to the death between teenagers, makes for appropriate study material.

SCGS vice-principal Shermaine Tang said it chose the book for its "literary value" in exploring themes such as friendship, love and family, survival and inequality.

The book, the first of a trilogy which has spawned a major movie franchise, also has a "strong female figure who exemplifies the values of valour", she added.

A parent said his daughter in SCGS had not read the book before the school introduced it.

"The book has gory descriptions of children killing children mercilessly to save themselves," said the parent who works in the financial services. "It's not right to introduce such violence to children so young."

But others point out that there was far more graphic violence in computer games and on TV, and studying the book will let children come to terms with it in a safe setting.

"The book has gory descriptions of children killing children mercilessly to save themselves," said the parent who works in the financial services. "It's not right to introduce such violence to children so young."

We had to read Lord of the Flies at school and I thought that was much worse than The Hunger Games, as it was a very real situation, unlike THG which was clearly set in a fantasy society.  I've also read a book aimed at younger teenagers which look at the very real life situation of children forced to be soldiers in African countries, which was far more brutal, and is actually happening.  I'm not sure what age the children in the news story would be, but it's possible that many have them have already read this and similar books, and that the quote from the parent might be in the minority.

Shakespeare has some pretty gory and graphic violence and murders - sword fights and poisonings and drownings galore, yet nobody complains about those being studied.

We had to read Lord of the Flies at school and I thought that was much worse than The Hunger Games, as it was a very real situation, unlike THG which was clearly set in a fantasy society.

That is just what I thought when I posted it.  Lord of the Flies is brutal!  I also think of Night by Elie Wiesel, the horror that happened in the real world, that was required for us.

I agree Michelle, and I do get a bit fed up of going into bookshops and seeing the children's display table full of classic children's books rather than contemporary, or the modern ones sidelined to a smaller display. While I like the classics, it's not the way to get children interested in books … I would definitely rate most of the children's and teen books I read higher than the ones I read as a child, and they're more likely to be able to identify with the characters in contemporary books as they will relate them directly to themselves.