What's Up in February? - 2015

chesilbeach

I'm using up annual leave this week, so a whole week of not very much is planned!  Yesterday I did just enough housework to make it look like I'd done something and then I finished my two ongoing books.  I'm now free to start something new and really put some time into it, so I'm going to choose wisely :D  We have a trip to London/Essex planned for the end of the week and I'm more excited about the uninterrupted reading time that I'll get on the train than anything else.  It's been quite a while since I've had so much time on my hands, I'm almost giddy.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm using up annual leave this week, so a whole week of not very much is planned!  Yesterday I did just enough housework to make it look like I'd done something and then I finished my two ongoing books.  I'm now free to start something new and really put some time into it, so I'm going to choose wisely :D  We have a trip to London/Essex planned for the end of the week and I'm more excited about the uninterrupted reading time that I'll get on the train than anything else.  It's been quite a while since I've had so much time on my hands, I'm almost giddy.

I hope you enjoy your time off work :).

I'm off work this week too, and even though I got up at 6:30am, it was still a lie-in for me, and I've managed to finish off my book already this morning.  Not sure what I'm going to do today … but looking forward to it anyway! :lol:

I also hope you have fun :).

Ilse (my ambulante hulp) will be here soon. Other than that I plan to spend some time with Michael (my boyfriend) today as he'll be leaving for the UK soon so it'd be nice to spend some time together before then. I also will be doing some household chores.

Suffering a bit of a headache today, think its from dehydration in conjunction with the poor sleep I'm prone to.

I finally got to sleep at 3am last night (earliest for me in ages) and the bleedin' wind coming in through the window blew a sock monkey off my shelf at 4am and scared the crap out of me, so I was awake until after 5am trying to get back to sleep :banghead:

Thanks everyone!  So far, so good.  I've managed to finish the two ongoing reads I had and I've made a start on the Philippa Gregory Cousins War series I've had sat on the bookshelf for a while. I could get used to this life of leisure :D

I went and had my hair cut today but it wasn't with the usual person and now I'm not sure I like it.  I went a bit radical and opted for something different.  I liked it in the hairdressers but now I've spent time staring at it in the mirror at home I don't think I like it at all.  I'm hoping that once I've washed it and restyled it my way, I'll warm to it a bit more.  As you can tell, I'm not one for changes!

Spent the morning doing weekly admin stuff then dropped hubby off at VA hospital. Its easier to just drop him off and find something to do because the parking SUCKS! I feel like a stinking predator as I follow people leaving the hospital hoping I can pounce on their spots Just think of the theme song to Jaws and there you have it.

Swung by the local library to fax something for hubby. I love that we can fax locally for free. I do need to purchase ink for my printer/fax and a house phone. It will be so much more convenient then to have to track down some place to handle business.

Gotta go pick up our son's girlfriend from work. She works at Amazon also. We've become very liberated parents indeed as we've allowed her to move in with us. She's a sweetheart though and seems to really care about our boy. They want to move out on their own but it may take a while.

Suffering a bit of a headache today, think its from dehydration in conjunction with the poor sleep I'm prone to.

I finally got to sleep at 3am last night (earliest for me in ages) and the bleedin' wind coming in through the window blew a sock monkey off my shelf at 4am and scared the crap out of me, so I was awake until after 5am trying to get back to sleep :banghead:

Awwww, I hope you get some better sleep soon and that you'll have headaches less often :(.

Thanks everyone!  So far, so good.  I've managed to finish the two ongoing reads I had and I've made a start on the Philippa Gregory Cousins War series I've had sat on the bookshelf for a while. I could get used to this life of leisure :D

I went and had my hair cut today but it wasn't with the usual person and now I'm not sure I like it.  I went a bit radical and opted for something different.  I liked it in the hairdressers but now I've spent time staring at it in the mirror at home I don't think I like it at all.  I'm hoping that once I've washed it and restyled it my way, I'll warm to it a bit more.  As you can tell, I'm not one for changes!

I'm glad you're enjoying your time off :).

I can understand about the haircut, I'm not one for changes either (I don't even go to hairdressers, and I've had my hair the same way since I was in primary school. I get the ends cut off every once in a while but that's it.) I hope the haircut will grow on you and that it will look better after a wash :). My mum never likes how her hair looks just after it's cut. She likes it much better once she's washed her hair. It's like that every time!

Gotta go pick up our son's girlfriend from work. She works at Amazon also. We've become very liberated parents indeed as we've allowed her to move in with us. She's a sweetheart though and seems to really care about our boy. They want to move out on their own but it may take a while.

It's very nice of you and your husband to let them live with you and I'm glad your son has found a nice girlfriend :).

My boyfriend is leaving for the UK tomorrow for a week, so we're busy with preparations for that and we're also spending a bit of time together.

Just got back from a lovely day out meeting up with Kay again.  :friends3: Coffee and a natter, doesn't get better than that.  Got home to find that OH has made the bergamot curd he promised me, and it's absolutely delicious. Will probably use it to fill a cake later in the week, but will definitely be going on some toast in the morning for breakfast.  :smile2:

While swinging my bag over my head, my hand hit the lampshade of a ceiling light and this happened:

post-4797-0-03613500-1424794789_thumb.jpg

I caught the lampshade and propped a chair on the table to stop it falling any further.

Only me.

Edited by Nollaig

I only knew about this human wonder a few minutes ago, and it's marvellous. A huge bridge, far above a green landscape with agricultural lands and a river. Too bad the town doesn't seem as scenic. It's called Viaduc de Millau (Millau Viaduct), and it's located in Millau-Creissels, southern France. Some photos on the official site (http://www.fosterandpartners.com/projects/millau-viaduct/) and the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millau_Viaduct).

I only knew about this human wonder a few minutes ago, and it's marvellous. A huge bridge, far above a green landscape with agricultural lands and a river. Too bad the town doesn't seem as scenic. It's called Viaduc de Millau (Millau Viaduct), and it's located in Millau-Creissels, southern France. Some photos on the official site (http://www.fosterandpartners.com/projects/millau-viaduct/) and the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millau_Viaduct).

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Quite an engineering accomplishment.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to drive across it.

I think today will be a reading day.  Having to wait in this morning for a delivery, so going to put the kettle on, make some toast and settle down with a good book for a while.   Ooh, just remembered, I've got the bergamot curd that OH made yesterday to go on my toast! :smile2:

Just got back from a lovely day out meeting up with Kay again. :friends3: Coffee and a natter, doesn't get better than that. Got home to find that OH has made the bergamot curd he promised me, and it's absolutely delicious. Will probably use it to fill a cake later in the week, but will definitely be going on some toast in the morning for breakfast. :smile2:

I'm glad you had fun and I hope the cake will be good :).

While swinging my bag over my head, my hand hit the lampshade of a ceiling light and this happened:

attachicon.gif20150224_160108.jpg

I caught the lampshade and propped a chair on the table to stop it falling any further.

Only me.

Ouch! How scary.

I think today will be a reading day.  Having to wait in this morning for a delivery, so going to put the kettle on, make some toast and settle down with a good book for a while.   Ooh, just remembered, I've got the bergamot curd that OH made yesterday to go on my toast! :smile2:

I hope you enjoy your reading time :)!

My boyfriend is on his way to his family in the UK now. I'm going to try to rest a bit today as I feel quite tired from getting up really early and from being nervous. I'm always nervous when someone in my family is flying.

The Medical University of Vienna, Austria successfully implanted the first mind-controlled bionic limbs in three patients. Amazing.

News: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/25/bionic-reconstruction-prosthetic-hands-austrian-men-controlled-mind

Video of limbs being used: http://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2015/feb/25/world-first-bionic-hand-controlled-by-mind-video

The Medical University of Vienna, Austria successfully implanted the first mind-controlled bionic limbs in three patients. Amazing.

That is amazing.

Wow, I just got an email from Ticketmaster that Taylor Swift will be performing at the Greensboro Coliseum on her World Tour in October. They are offering tickets  for sale now.

I haven't heard any of the music, but I've heard the name quite a few times. She seems to be popular with certain people.

That is amazing.

I haven't heard any of the music, but I've heard the name quite a few times. She seems to be popular with certain people.

Arguably, she is the most popular female singer in the U.S.

We got 7 inches of wet snow last night. The trees look beautiful with all the snow on them, especially the pines. Bad part is I now have to shovel our driveway of all the snow. :cry:

Just going to brave the weather and get some shopping, then I'm going to bake a cake later on, so I can use some of the bergamot curd up … not that that's a chore, it bloomin' delicious! :D

I would like to see a picture of the cake, when it's done.

(EDIT: Ah you have posted one in your thread now)

(what I'd really like is a slice but that's not going to happen so a picture will have to do :giggle2:)

Arguably, she is the most popular female singer in the U.S.

We got 7 inches of wet snow last night. The trees look beautiful with all the snow on them, especially the pines. Bad part is I now have to shovel our driveway of all the snow. :cry:

Ah wow, I didn't know she was *that* popular. Good luck snow shoveling! That can be such a difficult task :(.

I've spent some time today being on the phone with my aunt (with the broken ankle) and with my grandmother (she phoned me twice). So now I'm tired from all that and hope to rest a bit until dinner time. My brother will be having dinner with my parents and me tonight, it should be nice to see him again and talk with him.

EDIT: Has anyone ever had, that you fill up a water bottle under the tap, close to it so the water goes in, but then it's filled up and you don't notice it soon enough so the water goes everywhere? It just happened to me, covered in water now :lol:. But at least I can laugh with myself.

Edited by Athena

EDIT: Has anyone ever had, that you fill up a water bottle under the tap, close to it so the water goes in, but then it's filled up and you don't notice it soon enough so the water goes everywhere? It just happened to me, covered in water now :lol:. But at least I can laugh with myself.

A change of clothes and a good book to read and you will forget all about it.. :giggle2:  :D

I just finished shoveling 7 inches of snow from the entire driveway. Two young neighbor boys came over and helped me with the last 1/3 of driveway. They are really nice kids.

Edited by muggle not

Spoke to my housemate about my unintentionally removing a light fixture from the ceiling, and she's totally fine about it, so I'm incredibly relieved. The parties she and her BF have til all hours do my head in, but I honestly couldn't ask for an otherwise more sound housemate/landlord. I even capped my good fortune by taking her positive response as a sign that I should ask about paying the bills a couple days late, so I have some spending money for London this weekend, and her response was, 'pfft, course.' Delighted, no more stress now (hopefully) before London on Saturday. :lol:

A change of clothes and a good book to read and you will forget all about it.. :giggle2:  :D

I just finished shoveling 7 inches of snow from the entire driveway. Two young neighbor boys came over and helped me with the last 1/3 of driveway. They are really nice kids.

That's true :). That's very nice of those children, I'm glad the shoveling is done. 

Spoke to my housemate about my unintentionally removing a light fixture from the ceiling, and she's totally fine about it, so I'm incredibly relieved. The parties she and her BF have til all hours do my head in, but I honestly couldn't ask for an otherwise more sound housemate/landlord. I even capped my good fortune by taking her positive response as a sign that I should ask about paying the bills a couple days late, so I have some spending money for London this weekend, and her response was, 'pfft, course.' Delighted, no more stress now (hopefully) before London on Saturday. :lol:

That's nice :). I hope you have a lot of fun in London!

I plan to do a lot of reading today :readingtwo:. I'll see my brother tonight and my sister on Sunday, so hopefully that will all be nice :).