Health and Fitness

Kylie

Another problem I have is my working/sleeping hours. I don't have a typical 9-5 day. I just sleep when I need to and then wake up and work/do stuff. So sometimes, like the other day, I went to bed as the sun rose and woke up as it was setting. Makes it even more difficult to go out and exercise. I certainly wouldn't go out after dark. I was thinking of joining a 24-hour gym, but I've learnt that they're not even staffed at night. You just use a card to get in. I thought there would be one or two staff members at least. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all going into a gym at 2-3 am when there is no one around to look out for me.  :lurker:

I bought a thing for my bike a while ago that allows me to use my bike inside as a stationary bike. I think I'll bring my bike in and do that. I have no idea how to set it up, but I'll work it out! I won't even have to worry about getting dirt on my carpet or anything, because I'm planning on getting new flooring put in soon. :)

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*wanders in*

Congrats to everyone on the weight loss and fitness so far! I'm a couple of weeks into my new plan now and going ok.

I'm going on holiday in September and for the first time since 2011 this is likely to involve a bikini (money has gone on house buying and city breaks/winter trips in the intervening years). So I am motivated to shed a few pounds, especially as I am going with my brother's girlfriend who has an amazing figure. Grumble.

I must confess to an obsession with daily weighing, but I find that it's the best way to keep me motivated. Our scales are in kilos, so I can see weight coming off in small increments and that motivates me to keep going.

I have cut out junk food, carbs (bread, pasta, cereal and potatoes) and am going to the gym three times a week.

I plan to let myself eat what I want on holiday but then it will be straight back to it given I am getting married in 15 months and I don't want to look frumpy in the photos :D

Well done Alexi, sounds like you're doing great, I cut out lots of carbs and sugar from my diet around a year ago and it has made a huge difference to my health and particularly my energy levels.

Just be warned though, if you are cutting out ALL carbs and then eating them on holiday, your body might not like that very much, I have to make sure I have very small amounts occasionally and never overdo the carbs as it sends my stomach and head haywire!  There is plenty online if you want to know more. 

Keep it up!! :) :) :)

I also reduced the carbs, but I still eat bread everyday, along with potatoes regularly and pasta sometimes. I don't eat wheat since two years ago, though, at least not willingly. I'm keen to try something new for a few days, but I get better results when having a balanced diet with animal and plant products. I seldom drink juice, soda or alcohol, even when eating out; I replaced it all with water. 

Do you eat gluten free bread and pasta then Sousa? I did that to start with, but then realised what rubbish ingredients they had so now very very rarely eat bread at all and never pasta, which isn't hard as was never a big fan anyway.

I do eat small amounts of potatoes as I don't find they affect my health negatively, plus they are a natural product, unlike bread and pasta.

I don't mind about gluten. I stopped eating wheat by the nutritionist's suggestion, and replaced it with rye bread. The natural products are my failure, I tend to eat a lot of yoghurts and saltine crackers when having perfectly good fruit at hand; my next step is to have fruit as snack in the morning and afternoon.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone use a FitBit? I've been toying with the idea of getting one, to help motivate me, but I don't know if they are a gimmick. :dunno:

I used one for a few months but apart from trying to walk a bit more to hit 10,000 steps a day I found it of little use. It died when I accidentally put it through the washing machine.

Lost 4lbs this week. I am now 49lbs lighter than I was at the start of the year and have lost 20% of my total body weight! I am now officially the same weight I was when I got pregnant with Xander (January 2008).

Today I realised I have lost the same amount of weight than Xander now weighs. So I picked him up. I could only hold him for a few minutes before I had to put him down again. I cannot believe I carried that amount of extra weight around ALL THE TIME! It just seems impossible!

To celebrate, I have ordered a new 1940s style dress for the re-enactments in 3 weeks time. It is FOUR SIZES smaller than the dresses I wore at the start of the year.

I still have 3 stones to go till I'm at target weight, but that's less than I've already lost, so it seems far more attainable now - I'm past the half-way mark! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train!

Today I am a very happy pixie!

Lost 4lbs this week. I am now 49lbs lighter than I was at the start of the year and have lost 20% of my total body weight! I am now officially the same weight I was when I got pregnant with Xander (January 2008).

Today I realised I have lost the same amount of weight than Xander now weighs. So I picked him up. I could only hold him for a few minutes before I had to put him down again. I cannot believe I carried that amount of extra weight around ALL THE TIME! It just seems impossible!

To celebrate, I have ordered a new 1940s style dress for the re-enactments in 3 weeks time. It is FOUR SIZES smaller than the dresses I wore at the start of the year.

I still have 3 stones to go till I'm at target weight, but that's less than I've already lost, so it seems far more attainable now - I'm past the half-way mark! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train!

Today I am a very happy pixie!

I think that this is the realisation that makes most people go 'wow' when they have lost weight. We see ourselves in the mirror all the time and although we are aware that changes are happening it's not until we can put in into a tangible context that we fully appreciate our achievements (old clothes is another good one).

I used one for a few months but apart from trying to walk a bit more to hit 10,000 steps a day I found it of little use. It died when I accidentally put it through the washing machine.

Yeah, I got the impression it's a bit gimmicky so have decided to not buy one. They aren't cheap, and a lot of them seem to have faults.

Congrats Kell! That's a helluva lot of weight. How do you keep motivated?

• 4 months later...

Hello people... Thought I would resurrect this thread as it's the New Year soon and I would imagine a few of us are thinking about their eating habits and exercise again, what with possibly having spent the holidays (over?)indulging... :blush: 

I lost around 10kg in 2014 and was going to lose more kgs in 2015 but never managed. It was a stressful year what with finishing studies and having to move twice and there being other stressful stuff. I'm hoping 2016 will be a better year for me. 

Wishing you all a healthy year! :smile2: 

Hello people... Thought I would resurrect this thread as it's the New Year soon and I would imagine a few of us are thinking about their eating habits and exercise again, what with possibly having spent the holidays (over?)indulging... :blush:

I lost around 10kg in 2014 and was going to lose more kgs in 2015 but never managed. It was a stressful year what with finishing studies and having to move twice and there being other stressful stuff. I'm hoping 2016 will be a better year for me. 

Wishing you all a healthy year! :smile2:

Wishing you a healthy 2016 too frankie!  :smile:  I will get back seriously on the Paleo bandwagon very soon, definitely when the kids are back to school as I can get back into my dog walking/training routine, I am such a creature of habit, I like my routines!  :D

I'll be back on the exercise bike as from January.   :)  Was doing so well with it through the summer and autumn of this year, but not so much the last couple of months.  My joints are getting stiff again!   :doh: The colder weather doesn't help.  

I hope everyone manages to stick to their regime -- if they've set one.   :D

Edited by Onion Budgie

Good luck everyone!  :friends3:

Had a good brisk walk with the dogs this morning and have just eaten a wonderfully healthy breakfast of messy eggs and avocado, we are off to the cinema this afternoon so I MUST avoid the sweets and just take a bottle of water, I may take a Nak'd bar with me to curb any inappropriate cravings! :D

I joined a gym yesterday! Its only a block from my apartment so I plan to walk over in a bit and check everything out.

I read about it on your FB feed and though, we're in the same situation! Last Sunday I found out that I have a gym just a block from my apartment, like you, and it's 10€ per 6 months, which is like nothing at all. You can also go and play badminton and other stuff there. It's in the same building as the church, oddly enough. It might be some sort of center, I don't know. When are you going to check yours out? I'm thinking, if you do it, I should, too... :unsure::D 

I read about it on your FB feed and though, we're in the same situation! Last Sunday I found out that I have a gym just a block from my apartment, like you, and it's 10€ per 6 months, which is like nothing at all. You can also go and play badminton and other stuff there. It's in the same building as the church, oddly enough. It might be some sort of center, I don't know. When are you going to check yours out? I'm thinking, if you do it, I should, too... :unsure::D

That's awesome! With a price like that (mine is only 10.00  a month and there's no long term contract) you really can't NOT do it! :D I'm thinking of going in a few hours. I'd like to get in there and get my key (I signed up online) before the rush of New Years Resolutionists head there. 

That's awesome! With a price like that (mine is only 10.00  a month and there's no long term contract) you really can't NOT do it! :D I'm thinking of going in a few hours. I'd like to get in there and get my key (I signed up online) before the rush of New Years Resolutionists head there. 

$10 a month is a bargain, especially with no long term contracts! :smile2: Did you go? How was it? I haven't gone yet myself, but I might when I get a bit of extra money :) 

I have a similar kind of gym across the road from where I live. £10 a month, open 24 hours and no contract. Since the end of last year I have been getting up at 4am on days I am working to go and exercise before work. It's hard getting up that early but it is nice to have the whole place to myself. I have been looking at another gym further from home because it has the 'fancy' thing I miss like a pool and organised classes.