Melodious 2015 Reading List

Melodious

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the-old-man-and-the-sea-book.jpg

Synopsis:

I don't think I should say anymore other than head down to your local library and pick up a copy. It's readable in a afternoon so grab yourself a cuppa and set sail :)

4/5

Nice review  :smile: . I tried A Farewell To Arms last year, as my first Hemingway novel, and it was way too stark (for me), and I gave up early in the book. Maybe try this one sometime.

I too have often heard Hemmingway's name thrown around, but have never read anything by him. Considering how short that book is, I'll give it a go :)

Happy reading :)

Not me - I think Gaiman's overrated.  I thought Neverwhere was decent but far from great.

*High Five*

Nice review  :smile: . I tried A Farewell To Arms last year, as my first Hemingway novel, and it was way too stark (for me), and I gave up early in the book. Maybe try this one sometime.

Keep it in mind for sure :)

I loved Neverwhere but I don't have a problem with anyone disliking a book I love .. I'm too used to it now :D Anyway .. you did like it .. in places so that's at least something. We can't all agree on books .. that would just be weird :D

Glad you liked The Old Man and the Sea .. I agree with everything you said. For such a short book .. it makes a big impact.

Not me - I think Gaiman's overrated.  I thought Neverwhere was decent but far from great.

That pretty much sums up my views as well.  I gave Neverwhere 3 stars (out of 6). I like your review.  I don't disagree with any of your review Melodious, other than I don't think the quirkiness is enough - rather it began to irritate me after a while.  But then, I'm not a gret fan of Terry Pratchett for similar reasons. 

220px-SnowsOfKilimanjaro.jpg

A collection of short stories.

Review:

Such a disappointment after the wonderful The Old Man and the Sea. The sparse and impactful writing from that book is missing it's latter component. The short stories seem little more than practice and seem to contain little in the way of substance. Most contain the same character in a variety of different situations that are neither interesting or long enough for anything to materialise. One story even read like a shopping list.

'Nick buttoned his shirt. Then he went outside. He saw a bird. The bird was in a tree. Then he flew away.' (Not a direct quote just my own example)

I get the impression if you gave this to someone to read but they didn't know who the author was there would be little in the way of praise. My own opinion of course. A lack of detailed prose can be a powerful thing as demonstrated in The Old Man and the Sea and from other books like The Road by Cormac McCarthy but here it's just flat and toneless with only a mere hint that the stories were actually supposed to be about something.

I was drawn to this book not only because of the previous book I read but also because I spent a couple of months in Tanzania teaching first aid and I could see Mount Kilimanjaro from my bedroom window so the imagery is a powerful and sentimental one for me. The first story and the title the book is named after is the only one here I deem worthy of reading. Most of the others are between 3 - 5 pages long. It's not complete trash but it feels more like something you would write to get in the mood and flow of writing something else.

2/5

Your stint in Tanzania must have been an awesome experience.

It really was. Best thing I ever did. I did a lot while I was over there; Safari at the Ngorogoro crater, Zanzibar, lived with the Maasai for the weekend but it's the teaching and the children I remember most fondly. Really glad I kept a journal while I was there too.