Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

Darn it, looks like I gave up on Arrow ( ahem ) too soon then. Shall keep an eye out for repeats. 

We're watching Arrow at the moment. Well, Tom is watching it and I am sort of in the room caching bits and pieces of it whilst doing something else, like reading or looking at my phone cos it doesn't grab my attention enough., Then I think I should probably start watching it properly so I 'catch up' via Wikipedia episode descriptions and think, "right, next episode I'll give it my full attention", but I never do. :lol:

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're watching Arrow at the moment. Well, Tom is watching it and I am sort of in the room caching bits and pieces of it whilst doing something else, like reading or looking at my phone cos it doesn't grab my attention enough., Then I think I should probably start watching it properly so I 'catch up' via Wikipedia episode descriptions and think, "right, next episode I'll give it my full attention", but I never do. :lol:

Or even 'catching bits and pieces', as it should have read.

How do you edit posts round here...? :unsure: Is it another one of those 'doesn't work on mobile' things?

You have to make 10+ posts before you can edit, Michelle :smile:

Re Arrow, it's nowhere near as good as The Flash.  The Flash is genuinely funny, whereas Arrow usually manages it unintentionally  :doh:  :lol:

A Civil Campaign (Vorkosigan Saga Book #14) by Lois McMaster Bujold

post-6588-0-36417700-1441046933_thumb.jpg

1999 - Baen ebook - 548 pages

Miles Vorkosigan has a problem: unrequited love for the beautiful widow Ekaterin Vorsoisson, violently allergic to marriage after her first exposure. If a frontal assault won't do, Miles thinks, try subterfuge. He has a cunning plan... Lord Mark Vorkosigan, Miles' brother, also has a problem: his love has just become unrequited again. But he has a cunning plan... Lord Ivan Vorpatril, Mile's cousin, has a problem: unrequited love in general. But he too has a cunning plan...

A complex story, as the various members of Miles' family attempt to find their one true love, and a measure of destiny. This against a background of domestic political squabbles and an earnest attempt at capitalist enterprise.

You know, after reading the Wertzone review of this book, in which he gave it 4.5 out of 5 (I kid you not), I actually had some vague hopes that this book wouldn't be as bad as I expected it to be.

I was wrong.

It's not that it's badly written - it's not, cos Bujold's writing has developed to a point now where it is a joy to read.

It's not that the characters are terrible - they're not, they're fantastic.

It's not that the cover's one of the worst ever - it is, but I read it on my Kindle so I didn't have to look at it.

It's . . .  It's . . .  It's a fudging ROMCOM!!!! :banghead::doh::banghead::doh:

Not only that, but it's a fudging ROMCOM where - if all were right and sensible - the guy would never, NEVER, get the girl, because he's a complete nob-end.

Not only that, but it's a fudging ROMCOM (!!!!) that's about 200 fudging pages too fudging long.  Overstays its welcome much?? :banghead::doh::banghead::doh:

It's mildly amusing at points.  Ivan is brilliant.  I've never hated Miles quite so much.  But at least it's over and done - never to be read again.  If this book had been at the start of the series I never would have got this far.  I guess the quality had to dip at some point.  I didn't hate it.  I pretty much loathed it.  Hoping that Falling Free will restore my faith.

Ugh.

The blurb is hilarious, as is the cover. :lol:

You know what's worst about that cover - God forbid they should portray Miles as he actually is in the books: a hunchback with stunted growth.  Is there some kind of law that says the man always has to be taller than the woman on the cover of books?? :doh:

So, you didn't like it, huh? Fudging romcoms!! :giggle2:  Mind you, at 548 pages long, I'm surprised you stuck with it!!!

It's the kind of easy reading I needed last weekend in the lead up to jury service.  Plus I've still got four books to read in the series, so I kind of had to finish it, more fool me :rolleyes:

Jury Service update:

Tuesday:

Day Six in the Big Brother house.  Four days to go.  Steve arrives at 9:30.  Seven trials due to start today.  Gets sent to canteen because he's on week 2 and all the n00bs on their first day are having their induction in the main waiting area.  Chats to other week two people in canteen.  Gets told off for making too much noise :giggle2:   10:30am, first stand-by jury of day is called.  Steve's name gets pulled out of the hat.  Yay, Steve thinks.  Told they're going to be in Court 2 and to sit and wait for a while.  Sits and waits.  12pm, stand-by jury for Court 2 gets called to front desk.  The defendant has changed his plea and there will be no trial. Aha!  But they have moved us all to the trial in Court 4.  It is to be a two day trial.  Yay, Steve thinks.  This will take the rest of today and tomorrow and possibly some of Thursday, which should see Steve to the end of his jury service.  Happy thoughts.  Usher takes us up to Court 4.  Gives little speech.  12:10pm, usher goes into court, comes out a few minutes later and says they're discussing legal issues, takes us back down to wait for 5 or 10 minutes.  1pm, told to go to lunch and be back at 2pm.  Waiting.  Chatting.  Wins £28,000 on The Chase.  Bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored booooooooooored!  3:40pm, Steve's name is called out along with twelve others.  Goes to front desk.  Told the Court 4 trial is not going ahead.  Out of the seven trials due to start today, three have been cancelled.  Steve was on two of them.  Steve starts to think he is a jinx.  Then Steve and the twelve others are told that there is only one trial due to start on Wednesday, for which the week one jurors will be used, so he (and the twelve others) are being released from jury service with immediate effect!

What a monumental waste of time.

What.  A.  Joke.

Ho hum, back to work tomorrow :D

Jury service & the trial system in general, sounds like an immense waste of taxpayers money! :rolleyes:

And then some . . .

Did you get travel expenses and free lunches ?   :)

I took sandwiches with me every day and told them I wasn't going to claim any expenses, but they insisted that I had to have the subsistence payment of £5.71 per day regardless :doh:

I took sandwiches with me every day and told them I wasn't going to claim any expenses, but they insisted that I had to have the subsistence payment of £5.71 per day regardless :doh:

That`s classy.  :D  Still, you can always spend the money on books, to support authors.  :smile:

Recent purchases:

True Names and Other Dangers by Vernor Vinge (£7 - second-hand import)

Up Against It by M. J. Locke (£8.56 - second-hand import)

Pelquin's Comet by Ian Whates (99p)

Winterfair Gifts (Vorkosigan novella) by Lois McMaster Bujold (£2.49)

Fade Out by Patrick Tilley (99p) - read this about 30 years ago and fancied reading it again

Hammered by Elizabeth Bear (£3.99)

Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay (£1.99)

Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay (£1.99) 

Stormbird (War of the Roses Book 1) by Conn Iggulden (£1.99)

Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling (£5.03) - Have wanted to read this for ages

Please, somebody keep me away from Amazon :lol:

Hurray, new books ! :D

I look upon buying second hand books as saving lots of money, instead of spending. This is not wrong.  :smile:

Unfortunately my second-hand purchases were as expensive as new paperbacks, mainly because they're difficult to get hold of in the UK.  Oh well!  :D

So this on top of the £25,000 and £28,000 you won? Lordy, you don't have to ever work again! :D 

Thanks for the updates, it was really a hilarious reading :D Daaa'yaaay thirrREE in the Big Brother House.... 

Recent purchases:

Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay (£1.99)

Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay (£1.99) 

Oooh, Linwood Barclay! As you may remember, I thought NLA was really great. I'm now going to have to reserve a copy of TYE, sounds good :D 

So this on top of the £25,000 and £28,000 you won? Lordy, you don't have to ever work again! :D

I was very happy, until one of my fellow jurors pointed out it wasn't real money :(   :D

Thanks for the updates, it was really a hilarious reading :D Daaa'yaaay thirrREE in the Big Brother House....

:D