Karsa Orlong

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You imagined him as a ninety-year-old woman, too? :D

:P

You really do need to read something other than fantasy :lol:

Were you using your selfie stick ironically ?  ;)

If I had one I probably would :giggle2:

So Peter Dinklage is a Rush fan, he appears in the Roll the Bones rap video during the concert every night, and now I find out that his brother played the violin part when they performed Losing It in New York.  It's a Tyrion takeover! :o  :giggle2:

Blimey.  They've actually managed to make this look good.  I'm now vaguely interested . . .

I posted this in Gaia's thread last week and we came to the conclusion that we really must try and read some of his books soon. :giggle2: (Especially since I accidentally bought two more yesterday when I saw them going cheap in The Works. :rolleyes: ) Apparently it's based on the second book of the original trilogy rather than the first . . . have you read it?

Edited by Signor Finzione

You imagined him as a ninety-year-old woman, too? :D

:P

I imagined long hair... I don't know why! Sorry Steve! You remind me a bit of Hugo Weaving when you smile - that's compliment in my book so I hope you're not offended!

Laura you also didn't look how I expected when I saw you in the Photo comp thread! :giggle:

I imagined long hair... I don't know why! Sorry Steve! You remind me a bit of Hugo Weaving when you smile - that's compliment in my book so I hope you're not offended!

Yeah, he actually looks surprisingly normal, doesn't he? ;) Let's combine the imagined long hair with the real life Hugo Weaving . . . and call him Elrond! :D

Laura you also didn't look how I expected when I saw you in the Photo comp thread! :giggle:

:lol: Bear in mind I don't always wear pyjamas and go about with a Kenneth Williams expression on my face. :giggle2:

What did you expect me to look like? :P

Yeah, he actually looks surprisingly normal, doesn't he? ;) Let's combine the imagined long hair with the real life Hugo Weaving . . . and call him Elrond! :D

What did you expect me to look like? :P

Steve you have been dubbed Elrond. :lol:

Laura, I dunno! Sort of Italian, wavy hair and maybe a bit older? :lol:

Great pictures! Looks amazing. I really want to do a Canadian road trip at some point. Glad you had a good time :)

Thanks Tim :)  That's a hell of a lot of road to cover.  We were, at one stage, thinking of driving from Calgary to Vancouver between the two gigs, but we thought it would be too much to do in a day - it's a 12+ hour drive.  If there'd been a bit more time we would've done it.  Then I met a guy on the plane on the way home who had done it, and been to both gigs  :lol:

Apparently it's based on the second book of the original trilogy rather than the first . . . have you read it?

Nope, the first book was such dreadful, derivative crap, I vowed never to go near them again :banghead:   :lol:

Sorry Steve! You remind me a bit of Hugo Weaving when you smile - that's compliment in my book so I hope you're not offended!

Must be the shades :giggle2:

Steve you have been dubbed Elrond. :lol:

I've been called worse :lol:

I posted this in Gaia's thread last week and we came to the conclusion that we really must try and read some of his books soon. :giggle2: (Especially since I accidentally bought two more yesterday when I saw them going cheap in The Works. :rolleyes: ) Apparently it's based on the second book of the original trilogy rather than the first . . . have you read it?

Oooh which ones :D? I went over to your thread but I couldn't find it :P.

The trailer does look good!

Oooh which ones :D? I went over to your thread but I couldn't find it :P.

My apologies! This has now been rectified. :D

You'd think they would be trying to avoid the obvious similarities to LOTR but it is filmed in New Zealand and stars John Rhys Davies :lol:

That's exactly what I thought! :lol:

Great photos and I'm glad you had such a good (if bittersweet  :wibbly: ) time.  :)  Canada looks awesome!  We're saving up to go in (hopefully) a few year's time. :)

Thanks Janet :smile:   I hope you do get to go - great scenery, and the people are so friendly! :D   Oh, and you've got to try poutine, cos I was too scared to :hide:  :giggle2:  

I didn't try Poutine when I was in Canada either - considered it, but it was at the airport before the 7 hour flight to England (before a two hour wait and another hour to Ireland!) so I didn't think it was a good time to be testing my stomach with new food!

My reading has been quite sporadic over the past couple of weeks, as you can imagine.  I've read a couple of books but I'm not going to write proper reviews of them.  They were:

Savage Run (Joe Pickett Book #2) by C. J. Box

post-6588-0-68624000-1437840972_thumb.jpg

In Savage Run—C.J. Box's acclaimed follow-up to his career-making debut Open Season—game warden Joe Pickett looks into the bizarre death of an environmental activist...and what he finds is bigger and far more sinister than anything he imagined.

This is the third of Box's novels that I have read.  They've all been enjoyable, easy reads, so this one was great to take on holiday because it was easy to pick up and put down and not have to remember the details of a particularly complicated plot.  I like Joe Pickett as a character because he's far from infallible - he can't even shoot straight :lol:  So when he gets in dangerous situations, as he inevitably does, I'm never quite sure how he's going to get out of it.  There was a reasonable build-up of tension in this one, although I found the ultimate solution somewhat anti-climactic in an 'oh, is that it?' kind of way.  There are some good supporting characters, too.

It also has one of my favourite openings ever, just because it's bonkers:

"On the third day of their honeymoon, infamous environmental activist Stewie Woods and his new bride, Annabel Bellotti, were spiking trees in the forest when a cow exploded and blew them up.  Until then, their marriage had been happy."

Say what, now? :lol:

The next book was:

Homeland (The Legend of Drizzt Book #1) by R. A. Salvatore

post-6588-0-01169300-1437841424_thumb.jpg

In exotic Menzoberranzan, the vast city of the drow is home to Icewind Dale prince Drizzt Do'Urden, who grows to maturity in the vile world of his dark elf kin. Possessing honor beyond the scope of his unprincipled society, can he live in world that rejects integrity?

I don't know what made me read this.  Okay, I do.  I was in Indigo, a bookshop in a shopping mall somewhere outside Calgary, and really wanted to buy something.  I'd picked up the one Vernor Vinge novel I have left to read, Rainbows End, and my idea was that I was only going to buy a book that was a) difficult to get hold of at home in the UK, and b ) not available on Kindle.  I failed, because it turns out this entire series is on Kindle :doh: , but I've long been kind of curious about this Salvatore chap because his books always seem to be highly rated.  So I picked it up and read the first page and kind of liked what I read.

Reading books set in worlds created within a game universe isn't something particularly new to me.  Erikson and Esslemont created their world using just such a method.  The difference is that they created their world from scratch, whereas it appears that Salvatore has been given a mission, by the publishers, to write within pre-existing parameters.  So here we have elves, dark elves, various types of dwarf, goblins, giant spiders etc etc etc.  It's all been done before, and better.  What managed to pull me through it was the darkness.  This is a really dark story, where even the central family, the Do'Urdens, are intent on assassinating each other to move up the greasy ladder of power.  Drizzt himself - the third son - only survives his birth because . . . well, that would be spoiling!  It's a nasty, dangerous world that Drizzt comes into.  And, naturally, he develops a conscience, and wants to forge a new way.  His character, and his relationship with a mystical, otherwordly panther called Guenhwyvar, are what make the novel just about rise above the mundane.

The other intriguing aspect is that these are Dark Elves, or drows, who live in a subterranean city.  I liked the idea, but the execution didn't really create the atmosphere I was hoping for.  I wanted to feel the shadows and the walls closing in on all sides.  I'd read a review that said this does indeed happen, but I didn't feel it.

Strangely, after finishing it, I've found I'm kind of missing the world.  Will I go back for more?  I doubt it, but you never know.

I have the first Drizzt trilogy but have only ever read Homeland. I quite enjoyed it, like you, but wasn't sure if I liked it enough to read the others. I do intend to go back to it, though, so I can always send them to you when I've finished them. :D

From what I remember, I agree that it's not as claustrophobic-feeling as one would expect, although I attributed that to the fact that it's told from a Drow's perspective and he'd be more or less used to the enclosed space. I was definitely a bit disappointed with their foray into the tunnels (is it called the Underdark? Or is that just NWN?) - it was distinctly less terrifying than expected. :rolleyes:

I have the first Drizzt trilogy but have only ever read Homeland. I quite enjoyed it, like you, but wasn't sure if I liked it enough to read the others. I do intend to go back to it, though, so I can always send them to you when I've finished them. :D

Kind offer, but nah, it's okay thanks :D   If I do read any more of them I'll get 'em on Kindle :smile: 

From what I remember, I agree that it's not as claustrophobic-feeling as one would expect, although I attributed that to the fact that it's told from a Drow's perspective and he'd be more or less used to the enclosed space. I was definitely a bit disappointed with their foray into the tunnels (is it called the Underdark? Or is that just NWN?) - it was distinctly less terrifying than expected. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it is the Underdark.  It really needed more atmosphere.  The book I'm reading now is set in the Arctic Circle and it's making me feel so cold because it's so well described.  Homeland should've had the same effect with the darkness, imo :shrug: