Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, Steve. :giggle2: There are a HUGE amount of books with these kind of plotlines floating around these days, off the back of Dan Brown's success as you said. 

Your review reminded me of Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly, which was so awful it was hilarious. He even ends a lot of his sentences with exclamation marks during the exciting bits. :lol:

Great review, Steve. :giggle2: There are a HUGE amount of books with these kind of plotlines floating around these days, off the back of Dan Brown's success as you said. 

Your review reminded me of Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly, which was so awful it was hilarious. He even ends a lot of his sentences with exclamation marks during the exciting bits. :lol:

Oh yeah, I read a few of Matthew Reilly's books in the late 90s/early 00s.  They're unashamedly, hilariously bad and are great fun for that reason alone :D  I remember the first one I read, Ice Station, had one action scene that lasted 300 pages :lol:  And there were killer whales involved :cool::D

Oh yeah, I read a few of Matthew Reilly's books in the late 90s/early 00s.  They're unashamedly, hilariously bad and are great fun for that reason alone :D  I remember the first one I read, Ice Station, had one action scene that lasted 300 pages :lol:  And there were killer whales involved :cool::D

It sounds amazing. :lol: I remember there were crocodiles in the one I read . . . and helicopters, and a volcano, and Indiana Jones-style rolling boulders. :giggle2:

:lol:  Well I'd recommend trying before you buy, maybe download a sample to your Kindle.  I found the first book, Master & Commander, quite hard going because of all the explanations of masts and sails and rigging and whatnot, but what Lucy Eyre says in that article about it being the equivalent of medical jargon in ER is very true.  It kind of washes over you as part of the experience, eventually.  If you do decide to try the series it might be an idea to have a look at either Desolation Island or HMS Surprise first and then go back to the start if you enjoy whichever of those  :smile:

Thanks for the advice. I've made a note, sampled and wishlisted as appropriate. :D

It sounds amazing. :lol: I remember there were crocodiles in the one I read . . . and helicopters, and a volcano, and Indiana Jones-style rolling boulders. :giggle2:

That was Temple, wasn't it? :unsure:

200 pages into Yawnsome Dove - er, I mean Lonesome Dove - and it's not exactly setting my world on fire.  Good characters and some amusing dialogue but boy is it long-winded and uneventful.  Think I'll stick to what I said at the start of the year, about not forcing myself to read books I'm not really enjoying, and put it to one side :shrug:

Half the World (Shattered Sea Book #2) by Joe Abercrombie

post-6588-0-79253900-1427301959_thumb.jpg

2015 - Harper Voyager ebook - 363 pages

SOMETIMES A GIRL IS TOUCHED BY MOTHER WAR

Thorn is such a girl. Desperate to avenge her dead father, she lives to fight. But she has been named murderer by the very man who trained her to kill.

SOMETIMES A WOMAN BECOMES A WARRIOR

Fate traps her in the schemes – and on the ship – of the deep-cunning minister Father Yarvi. Crossing half the world to find allies against the ruthless High King, she learns harsh lessons of blood and deceit.

SOMETIMES A WARRIOR BECOMES A WEAPON

Beside her on her gruelling journey is Brand, a young warrior who hates to kill. A failure in his eyes and hers, he has one chance at redemption.

AND WEAPONS ARE MADE FOR ONE PURPOSE

Will Thorn forever be a tool in the hands of the powerful or can she carve her own path? Is there a place beyond legend for a woman with a blade?

This is the sequel to Half a King, Joe Abercrombie's first foray into the YA market.  Therefore the same rules apply:

• the violence has been toned down
  • the swearing is pretty much gone
  • the humour isn't quite swinging from the gallows like it used to
  • the dark isn't quite so grim . . . or dark

It didn't really make a difference in the first book: I thought it was brilliant.  This time around . . . ?

Well, I should probably say up front that I have been burned out on the fantasy genre for a while now.  Just haven't wanted to read any more of it, cos there's been nothing new in an age.  Most of it is either copying Tolkien or George R R Martin.  If I see another fantasy book with characters' names as chapter headings I will hunt GRRM down and make sure he never gets the chance to finish A Song of Ice & Fire (or gets to see the end of the tv series, which is more likely :P  :giggle2:  ).  So, yeah, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  I doubt that I'd even drag myself back for the next Steven Erikson novel.  I'm just not interested any more. 

Except for Joe.  Joe's an exception for me because his writing still feels fresh and invigorating.  He never quite does things the way I expect him to, and that's a neat trick because - in almost every way - Half the World is easily the most predictable novel he has yet written.  Unlike the previous book, there's virtually nothing in it that I didn't see coming a mile off.  Its plot is almost pedestrian.  Even the ending is telegraphed about 50 pages in.

If I have one major gripe it is that he doesn't give Grom-gil-Gorm enough page time.  Once the amazingly tense and exciting duel comes at the end of the book, I felt that I should have hated him, and it would ultimately have made his decision more affecting.

But he saved it for me, somehow.  It's the characters - they are broken people, but they are wonderful.  Not just those returning from the first book but those new to this one, too, and especially Thorn herself.  She is fabulous.  And, cleverly, the book is less a direct sequel than it is another story set in the same world.  Also, the plot - as predictable as it is - does not exactly follow the path other authors might.  Whereas most modern fantasy is notable for its rainforest-threatening page count rather than its brevity, Joe advances the plot in leaps and bounds, sometimes months disappearing between the end of one chapter and the next, so a book that most other authors would have milked to 600+ pages comes in at 360.

Ultimately I didn't like it as much as Half a King and it never comes close to the genius of The Heroes, Best Served Cold, or Red Country.  But even a lesser book from Abercrombie is better than most of what the genre has to offer these days, and I suspect he is gaining new legions of fans with this trilogy.  At least, I hope so.

Memorable quotes:

'What do the letters on the blade mean?'

'They say in five languages, "to the fighter everything must be a weapon."  Good advice, if you are wise enough to take it.'

Thorn nodded, frowning.  'I am the storm.'

'As yet, more of a drizzle,' said Skifr.  'But we are only beginning.'

But even a lesser book from Abercrombie is better than most of what the genre has to offer these days, and I suspect he is gaining new legions of fans with this trilogy.  At least, I hope so.

Totally agree with this. :yes: And I'm glad you enjoyed it despite your debilitating condition (i.e. fantasy burnout :P ).

I have to say I don't think anything he writes will ever be as good as Best Served Cold. :D

I like that quote! It's a shame you didn't like the book as much as the first book in the series, though I'm glad it was still enjoyable. It's a shame you're a bit burned out on the fantasy genre, I hope though that there are other genres or books that you do like reading (such as the historical ones you've been reading :P) :).

Yep, I had to look up cicatrice the other day, too. :smile:  

I'm just thankful for the Kindle's built-in dictionary  :giggle2:  Honestly, it's made reading those books even more enjoyable for me, being able to look up words immediately, not making a guess as to what it means and thinking 'oh I'll have to look that up later' - and then forgetting completely :lol:

Great review Steve .. I definitely want to read it (oh but I haven't even started on that other trilogy of his .. what's it called? First Law? .. no that can't be right .. I've read those??) 

I'm a tiny bit concerned by the quote .. not that it's not funny .. it is .. it's the name Skifr .. it strikes a sort of Erikson fear in me  :hide:  :D Thorn, Brand and Father Yarvi though are perfectly acceptable :D  

Tiny bit disappointing that it's not as good as what came previously but Joe is a great storyteller and, as you say, his lesser offerings are still better than the majority of what's out there (says she .. who has no clue at all about what's out there  :blush2:  :D )

Hopefully the next one will take a step back (or forward) towards greatness :)

I'm just thankful for the Kindle's built-in dictionary  :giggle2:  Honestly, it's made reading those books even more enjoyable for me, being able to look up words immediately, not making a guess as to what it means and thinking 'oh I'll have to look that up later' - and then forgetting completely :lol:

I tend to forget that there`s a dictionary on Kindle.  :doh:

Really? You've never mentioned that before. :o

:P:giggle2:

Great review Steve .. I definitely want to read it (oh but I haven't even started on that other trilogy of his .. what's it called? First Law? .. no that can't be right .. I've read those??) 

Thanks Kay!  :smile:   Do you mean the three stand-alones set in the First Law world?  Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country?

I'm a tiny bit concerned by the quote .. not that it's not funny .. it is .. it's the name Skifr .. it strikes a sort of Erikson fear in me  :hide:  :D Thorn, Brand and Father Yarvi though are perfectly acceptable :D  

I kept reading it as 'Skiffle'  :doh:  :giggle2:   I had visions of her walking around with a washboard and thimble  :giggle2: 

I tend to forget that there`s a dictionary on Kindle.  :doh:

I use the dictionary on my Kindle quite a bit, I find it a really handy feature to have :). I don't often read Kindle books as I much prefer paperbooks, but the dictionary is an advantage that the Kindle has over paperbooks.

Thanks Kay!  :smile:   Do you mean the three stand-alones set in the First Law world?  Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country?

Yes .. that's them .. not a trilogy then  :blush2: Does that mean I can read them in any order?

I kept reading it as 'Skiffle'  :doh:  :giggle2:   I had visions of her walking around with a washboard and thimble  :giggle2: 

:D

Yes .. that's them .. not a trilogy then  :blush2: Does that mean I can read them in any order?

Well I did :lol:  There are some minor character-based things that you might miss but plot-wise they're all separate :smile: