Devi's Book-Everest for 2015

Devi

That book challenge sounds really interesting, Devi. :) It should produce a good amount of varied reading!

I really like this idea! I might do a similar thing - make a small list of my 'priority' books by genre (just for non-fiction, and maybe limited to 5 for each genre). :)

Happy reading in 2015! :D

Thanks! I think it makes the main TBR pile less overwhelming.

I just picked my 10 books for my fiction TBR pile. Will be adding them once I have a few minutes.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Melodious reminded me of this video - I have a book by Carl Sagan on my TBR non-fiction pile which this video was influenced by - Pale Blue Dot.

Edited by Devi

Interesting challenge Devi, I hope you enjoy it. I wish you a wonderful year of reading. :smile:

Thank you! I wish you all the best too. :)

Edited by Devi

Here are the books I got for Christmas. I got spoilt. :blush:

90e903429f38d0e5ae4070b99cf827d6_zps7f08

a35ba0a4c85967d0dde36c6fbd615b83_zpsb28e

Edited by Devi

I've seen many versions of Sagan's Pale Blue Dot but not that one before. I liked the inclusion of Chaplin's speech, another inspiration.

Some great books there in your Christmas haul. I've read 'The Difference Engine' and 'Gatsby', both good reads. The Kafka, Orwells and Camus are on my TBR. I've read a few Philip K Dick but not 'Valis'. I have so much more to explore with him. I read 'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch' last year which was enjoyable but the best I have read by him is still probably 'The Man in the High Castle'. 

Best get a move on if you're going to read 'Pale Blue Dot'  :P

The Crimson Petal and the White - Michel Fabar

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

Room - Emma Donoghue

The Light Between Oceans - M. L. Stedman

I absolutely loved the first two, and Room was really quite good too. I recently bought The Light Between Oceans and hope to read it this year (my goodness, I feel like I've written that a thousand times in the past couple of days—I need this year to be twice as long so I have enough time to read them all!)

That Carl Sagan video is wonderful. I wish everyone would watch it regularly to be reminded of the things that we often forget in the busyness of day-to-day living.

I've seen many versions of Sagan's Pale Blue Dot but not that one before. I liked the inclusion of Chaplin's speech, another inspiration.

Some great books there in your Christmas haul. I've read 'The Difference Engine' and 'Gatsby', both good reads. The Kafka, Orwells and Camus are on my TBR. I've read a few Philip K Dick but not 'Valis'. I have so much more to explore with him. I read 'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch' last year which was enjoyable but the best I have read by him is still probably 'The Man in the High Castle'. 

Best get a move on if you're going to read 'Pale Blue Dot'  :P

I've read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and have The Man in the High Castle, A Maze of Death, The Penultimate Truth, Dr Bloodmoney, Ubik, and A Scanner Darkly in my SF Masterworks collection by Philip K. Dick.

Pale Blue Dot is on my mini non-fiction TBR list. I just need to pick the other nine before I post it.

I absolutely loved the first two, and Room was really quite good too. I recently bought The Light Between Oceans and hope to read it this year (my goodness, I feel like I've written that a thousand times in the past couple of days—I need this year to be twice as long so I have enough time to read them all!)

That Carl Sagan video is wonderful. I wish everyone would watch it regularly to be reminded of the things that we often forget in the busyness of day-to-day living.

I am looking forward to reading The Light Between Oceans. If we didn't have to sleep, imagine how much reading we could get done! Work all day, read all night. :giggle2:

I love the video too. I like to watch it now and then just to remind me of things, somehow it makes my problems seem not so big.

Great Christmas books Devi, nice haul! :) I love your idea of having a mini-TBR for each genre. The Reapers are the Angels has been on my wishlist for a while, so I look forward to seeing what you make of it.

Happy reading in 2015! :)

Thanks. I think it makes it easier to pick books, it's not a concrete list though and if I want I can swap books in and out of the list at anytime.

Devi

Love the name for your challenge this year and how you have it divided up . It looks like Santa was good to you this year too .

Happy Reading  :)

Very good! I was so embarressed at opening so many gifts in front of my family, and boyfriends mum, that once they had opened their gifts I gave them some of mine to open. :blush:

We took turns opening a gift each so everyone could see what the others got.

I love the photos of your Masterworks collection and your Christmas book haul :)!

I hope you enjoy all the books on your TBR. Dangerous Women is on my wishlist, do tell me what you think of this! I quite enjoyed The Crimson Petal and the White. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is on my TBR, as are Room and The Light Between Oceans.

I've read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and have The Man in the High Castle, A Maze of Death, The Penultimate Truth, Dr Bloodmoney, Ubik, and A Scanner Darkly in my SF Masterworks collection by Philip K. Dick.

Pale Blue Dot is on my mini non-fiction TBR list. I just need to pick the other nine before I post it.

I liked Electric Sheep. It's very different from the film (which is astounding) and I really liked the religious aspect of it. I may have to re-read it at some point. I haven't read any of the others you mentioned. Any of them really stand out?

I liked Electric Sheep. It's very different from the film (which is astounding) and I really liked the religious aspect of it. I may have to re-read it at some point. I haven't read any of the others you mentioned. Any of them really stand out?

Sorry, probably my fault, but I haven't read the others except electric sheep. I didn't even know there was a film.

Sorry, probably my fault, but I haven't read the others except electric sheep. I didn't even know there was a film.

Yeah but it's called Blade Runner not the title of the book and it's a great achievement of cinema but there is little that the two have in common.

Yeah but it's called Blade Runner not the title of the book and it's a great achievement of cinema but there is little that the two have in common.

Oh okay, I will definitely see if I can find the movie anyway.

Edited by Devi

Lovely books there Devi! Happy reading for 2015 :smile:

Thanks, and I wish you all the best for 2015. :)

Edited by Devi

Happy Reading Deb! :hug: Great Christmas book haul .. well done you! xx

Thank you! I can't wait to read a few of them. Just so many books though, I don't know where to start.