The Beach - Alex Garland
Empire of the Sun - J G Ballard
Room - Emma Donoghue
The Light Between Oceans - M. L. Stedman
The Reaper are the Angels - Alden Bell

Edited by Devi

Book Challenge 1

a book by your favourite author

a new to you author (someone YOU haven't read before)

a new release (2015 book)

a book that was first published in a year when you were born

an award winning book (Hugo, Nebula, BSAF award, Mythopoeic Award, Locus awards (SF and Fantasy), BFS award, World Fantasy Awards, Philip K. Dick Award, Arthur C. Clarke Award - all of these count).

a book that was/is banned somewhere from SF/F genre ( potential list available here - https://www.worldswi...banned_sff.asp)

a book that has had adaptations (either movie or graphic novel, or any adaptation)

a book that you have already bought but haven't read

a book where the MC is a person of color, or an author of color

a book written by a woman

a book written by a man

a book that was originally published in language other than English

a fantasy or science fiction classic

a book influenced by mythology (could be Greek, Norse, Irish, Japanese...whatever)

a book with pictures in it

a book with more than 500 pages

a book with less than 200 pages

a horror book

a YA book

start and finish a series

a book with a wizard/witch

a book with a dragon or two

a book with red or blue on the cover

a book with animal(s) or non-human creature(s) (Elves, Fairies, Dwarfs and other suchlike beings count)
on the cover

a book with a one word title

a book with a title of 6 or more words.

a non-speculative fiction book (i.e non fantasy, non SF, non horror)

a novelization from a movie or a videogame (i.e first came the movie, then the book - the opposite from challenge 7). Edited by Devi

SF Masterworks Collection Thus Far

My SF Masterworks Collection. Sadly the Man in the High Castle has been hard to find in a SF MW copy. I still look when I can.

b28d4aa5ffeed3c0c49e7c88511d8d38_zpsa003

50206b5e82195bedbe8e3e1f4aaac4f2_zpse0e2 Edited by Devi

Thread open for business, decided I am going to just write up mini TBR for each genre, and choose books that I really want to read sooner rather than later; and then randomly pick some as well - thinking 10 books per list with a mix of both. Once one is read, I will replace it with another book from my shelf.

Starting fresh with the challenge, edited it a bit and might add extra to it as well.

Happy Reading in 2015 everyone!

I wish you a great reading year in 2015, Devi! I look forward to see your mini TBRs :). Good luck with the challenge, too!

I hope you have a great reading year in 2015, Devi! :smile2:  :readingtwo:

Thank you lovely ladies. :) same to you both.

I bought my first book for the year. A graphic novel omnibus from the Metal Gear Solid games. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I bought my first book for the year. A graphic novel omnibus from the Metal Gear Solid games. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I hope you enjoy it :)! Do tell me what you think, if you want, once you've read it. My boyfriend might be interested in that :).

I hope you enjoy it :)! Do tell me what you think, if you want, once you've read it. My boyfriend might be interested in that :).

I can tell you that it's the story of metal gear solid 1 and 2, so if you have played them you pretty much know it, but the author does add more details. It's also all hand drawn by the guy who did the cutscenes in metal gear solid peace walker. So excited!

I can tell you that it's the story of metal gear solid 1 and 2, so if you have played them you pretty much know it, but the author does add more details. It's also all hand drawn by the guy who did the cutscenes in metal gear solid peace walker. So excited!

That sounds nice :), I hope you enjoy it!

Interesting idea to split TBR's into genre! I like it. :)

I hope you have a great reading year! :D

Thanks! I hope you have a great reading year too. :)

I wanted to be able to make choosing a book a bit easier on myself. Sometimes with so many options one can get a bit overwhelmed.

To make it easier in making the mini TBR piles, I intend to just pull out the first ten books that catch my eye, if that doesn't work, I'll play the Eeny, meeny, miny, moe game. :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

That book challenge sounds really interesting, Devi. :) It should produce a good amount of varied reading!

Thread open for business, decided I am going to just write up mini TBR for each genre, and choose books that I really want to read sooner rather than later; and then randomly pick some as well - thinking 10 books per list with a mix of both. Once one is read, I will replace it with another book from my shelf.

I really like this idea! I might do a similar thing - make a small list of my 'priority' books by genre (just for non-fiction, and maybe limited to 5 for each genre). :)

Happy reading in 2015! :D